1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Offensive line coach

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by hmmmmm, May 4, 2021 at 10:11 PM.

1. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Most people were hoping for the Steelers to draft offensive linemen sooner. It seemed to me that before Mike Munchek we had a lot of high draft picks and a very under performing line. Then he arrived the same personal looked ten times better (the high draft picks). Even when we had injuries and an undrafted guy came in there was much of a drop off. What I am trying to say is we need a good oline coach. If that happens the line will be fixed. If we don’t get a good coach it doesn’t matter who we draft.

2. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    I say we kidnap Munchak.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Mike Munchak should have been retained by all means possible even if it meant showing MT the door.

That being said. Position coaches add some input to the draft final say but not much more besides an opinion.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ... :hmm:

I do not get any of this. How is it that Adrian Klemm has already failed before any of his coaching methods have been put into place?! For that matter, why assume Adrian Klemm is destined to fail?!

The teaching methods of Munchak and Klemm are different. Munchak was more about the technics and refinements of the game. Klemm brings with him the will to instill the nasty disposition and controlled aggression the line had been missing since the days of Jerome Bettis. Both teach the basics and fundamentals.

All that said, even with Munchak in 2020, I seriously doubt the team would have been any better for one major reason; age. Pouncey was clearly nearing the end, Big Al was essentially a turnstile when it came to running the football, Chuks seems to lack that aggression that Klemm wants (and all the more reason I personally believe Dan Moore Jr. could supplant him sooner than later) and DeCastro did not look like himself... at all. On the opposite end though, Banner appears to have a nasty streak within him, Dotson clearly does and both Kendrick Green and Dan Moore Jr have shown that on tape.

Now again, all of this has to come together.... so expect some growing pains for the unit as cohesion and continuity will take time. That said, if the Offensive Line can gel quickly enough, that is just one major aspect in which the running game will return. So in short, give Klemm some time and let us judge him based off of not just how much the running game will improve but also how quickly he can create continuity and camaraderie among the lineman.

Only then can he be judged fairly. Until that time? Sit back and relax. Training Camp this season is going to be a lot of fun... more so than in a long time! :herewego:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You do know who runs this team right?

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We have a new offensive wine coach. Let’s see what he can do.

7. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I wasn’t trying to say Klemm already failed. My point was if he is a good coach the offensive line we have will be above average. If he isn’t a good coach then the line will struggle even though the players aren’t the problem. Mike M. Didn’t need high draft picks to have a good line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    This is outstanding.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What is Munchak doing that is so great in Denver?

• Agree Agree x 1