1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Nelson given permission to seek trade

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Mar 19, 2021.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I was thinking the same, do they feel they have something in Pierre, but enough to let Nelson walk? That would be a huge leap of faith in a guy that hasn’t played much.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Maybe Nelson became unhappy in a just the last few days. But if you knew he wanted out or you were ready to part with him (by trade or by release), you could have tried to keep Hilton. Hilton’s new deal is about what Nelson was slated to make this yr.

4. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Ben is the owner of the team. Its why he's still playing. And the owner gets what he wants. When juju said he wanted to resign they were going to that without hesitation to appease the owner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They need the cap space to re-sign JuJu, that's why they want to get rid of Nelson.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    trevor williams. former starter for the chargers is on the team. pierre. layne, sutton, haden, minka, edwards. add a guy like stokes that they have talked to from georgia and we could be in good shape, not a bad secondary still. :cool:

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Given that it came out the day they re-signed Smith-Schuster, it is hard not to see the two moves as related. Perhaps they asked Nelson to restructure to make room and he refused.

I am happy to see Smith-Schuster back, but given the team's overall strengths and needs, I'd rather keep Nelson. Maybe keeping Smith-Schuster was an unspoken part of getting Roethlisberger to take a pay cut?

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I donot believe this to be realistic, but WTH, how about our 1st and Nelson for 49's 1st (12)...now that would interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Are we sure they are going to cut Nelson if they can’t trade him? There are other ways for them to make cap room.

This sounds like Nelson is disgruntled. “They gave him permission to seek a trade” they don’t have to do that, they could have just covertly tried to trade him instead of plummeting his value like this.

Take his tweet “A blessing in disguise” and the other defensive players who were tweeting out their dismay over losing players and I think there may be a divided locker room. Defense is angry the front office catered to Ben and JuJu.

Don’t forget the report that Watt skipped his exit meeting. Something smells fishy.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Seems that @S.T.D was right. Seems a Defensive Player just might in play for Round One. That said, leave nothing to chance as the board dictates who a team selects.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Nelson in his last year so they would have to extend him before restructuring his 2021 money. Presumably that is where the issue arose, he probably wanted too much on the extension, Steelers knew they weren’t going to get something done so decide to try to get something back for him and get his salary off the books.

Letting him go is playing with fire imo, I’d definitely keep him over Juju as well if it is a straight choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I wanted this done a month ago. Let someone jump before they filled spot in FA. Allow Pitt to maybe grab a FA to replace him.

A week late on this move IMO

HACK

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    They maybe are trying to do right by him and also it helps them get back some decent comp instead of cutting him flatout and getting nothing.

14. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If that’s true, and it may well be, than all this blather about keeping Ben and right pieces together to make a run is twaddle on toast. Now, I had little confidence in that strategy, but at least I thought that Steeler management did. Now I think that they either believe their own bs (which is bad enough) or they know it’s bs and are going ahead anyway (for whatever nostalgic reasons ). SMH.
    Fredo has a good heart, but he’s weak and he’s stupid.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    YOu might be on to something here. It could be they tried to restructure him and he may have told them he plans on testing free agency or doesn't plan on coming back at all. Then it makes sense to seek a trade.

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Here's a thought Steelers, tell him no.

17. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    He's one that was a possibility to Extend and grab some Cap savings..... maybe the discussions broke down on one side and they just said F it find a trade if you'd like? Very strange and last minute to be doing this during FA period.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Anyone know what Kyler Fuller was making? Chicago cut him, would be an upgrade over Nelson but don’t know what kind of contract it would take to land him.

19. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Child, please.....

20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    With the new TV deal announced why would he agree to an ext.? His value (and many more) will no doubt increase next year, from the team's perspective it may have to do with JuJu's signing, form his I think it purely a business decision.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Nelson but if that’s his attitude, don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. See ya.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Yeah I saw the news.

Confusing off-season.

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    JuJu was on the market and talked to at least the Jets and seemingly had offers from several teams, so evidently there WAS hesitation on both sides.

24. Tsrart

Tsrart Member

Sep 19, 2019
    It does sound to me like the team knew they weren't going to resign him and decided that keeping Juju long-term was a better option than keeping Nelson for one more season. (I'm assuming that the Steelers promised Juju big, long-term money next year if he stayed with the team this year.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    It's reported now he got virtually the same amount of money from everyone else. He thought he'd command more than he did but when he saw he didn't he stayed in Pittsburgh. Gurnatee if he got a high offer he'd be gone.

• Agree Agree x 1