1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NCAA’s transfer portal has become big, fat joke

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Master Of Puppets, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Chump change to Texans

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Today Dec 5th maybe the biggest day in college football,players enter into transfer portal. Hard for me to believe college football has come to this.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Its awful….

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Did you hear Deion tell the Colorado players to pack and go lol. Not sure how to take it really, but at least they know where they stand.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Who knows what is truth anymore..but last week a guest on Cowherd said a HS QB was asking 10 million in NIL to commit. Who knows if that's a year or 4 or???. But if a HS kid is asking that what can an established college guy command? Not for or against..just seeing a market development that will be interesting to watch

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I did not here this, I am not a Dion fan, but if you look at Colorado's record for the last
    10 years there really not setting the world on fire. So he is correct in weeding out the players that are taking up space

• Like Like x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    At around $6M a year, Deion had better make a miraculous turnaround. It could happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    I read once where the highest paid public employee in each state is a sports coach

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    Reminds me of Pop Warner football and high school coaches with kids on teams. I think when Rivers left the Colts, he took a football head coach at a high school school where he son will be eventually going.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    You probably heard right. I am not sure but here in Pa James Franklin and Pat Narduzzi have pretty
    high salaries for state employee's.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    I just did a search and it must have been ESPN where I saw it. It's a year old and James Franklin was the highest paid in PA. Football and basketball coaches dominated per article.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/s...d-college-football-college-basketball-coaches

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    For a seasonal job...plus the perks... from 2019

• Like Like x 1
  14. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    There's pros/cons to the transfer portal. I'm critical of Pat Narduzzi a lot but the portal has been his ace to restock the Panthers. It's getting to the point that recruiting the portal game is more important than recruiting HS SRs for some programs. As with anything that's new, the portal and NIL will correct itself in time. I see people's arguments against both, and can find common ground. But at the same time, I see positives in the portal. It gives some kids a chance to come home if they're homesick; it gives others a chance to get playing time; and it gives some a fresh start. Yes it's chaotic today, but will it be chaotic 10/15 years from now? Maybe it will; maybe it wBoth,

NIL is something that should've been a thing 40 years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I agree on NIL for college. It is way past due.

I just saw that the TSSAA here in Tennessee approved NIL for high school athletes by a vote of 12-0. The kids can't represent a school and can't be in uniform. There are now about 20 states that allow high school kids to get paid.

Not sure how I feel about NIL for HS yet.

16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Pa did this yesterday, a local kid with a bright future just signed with a Paving co. from Wexford. I only point this out
    because quite a few Steelers live in the Wexford area.

• Like Like x 1
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    I'll be honest, I struggle with it because high school kids should be there to learn first and foremost and with NIL, they'll be pimped out to the highest bidder and living with extended family members like "aunts" and "uncles" in order to be zoned for specific schools. I'm not too naive to think is doesn't happen today but I think it's hard enough for HS administrators today as it is. Now this is just another pile of sh!t that they are going to have to deal with.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Personally. I'd be more than happy if our development of pro talent evolved into a system similar to what they do in Europe. HS and CFB have been corrupt for some time. I don't think school boards should override a AD for a HC, for example.