1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

NCAA’s transfer portal has become big, fat joke

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Master Of Puppets, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Master Of Puppets

Master Of Puppets Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2021
    i gotta agree with this.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Three letter acronym for this "joke"...

Name.

Image.

Likeness.

Me and @FootballAnalyst98 disagree on many aspects. This is not one of them. If anything, I am wondering what took the NCAA so long? Players should have every right to make money based on their performance just as much as the College's who recruit them make god knows how much on TV and Marketing Deals alone.

Boosters is another financial benefit all together that deserves its own thread.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. Every time I Look up someone is leaving My team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but then they should pay for their own college education also if they are making money. Some people have 2 pay for their college education many years after they graduate. So If the player is making money He can pay for His education also.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Too bad the College's have to offer the best players an athletic scholarship to attract them. Heck, even before this, an athletic scholarship could only do so much in that regard unless a program was a perennial powerhouse like Ohio State, Alabama, etc. With the NIL, an athletic scholarship is essentially just a bonus at this point. For that matter, a number of SEC Schools have already been on record to offer the best High School players additional incentives in addition to their NIL's should they elect to come to one of their schools; all the more reason I stated that boosters deserve their own thread as they play a much bigger part in it than one expects to believe. l

In today's College World, I do agree that it is essentially "Pay To Win" and not too many Schools have that level of financial incentive to offer. That said, this is now the new normal and will remain so for the foreseeable future. If there is one possible benefit to all of this, HBCU's may finally have a leg to stand on after so long.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We shall see How this looks 20 years down the road. The good,the bad,and the ugly. :thumbs_up:

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

It will either get better or worse depending on one's viewpoint. For indirect context; Brian Kelly, a Coach who revived the Notre Dame Program back into relevancy, headed for the SEC West to join the Tigers. Loyalty means little in terms of chasing the all mighty Green Back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe He is actually chasing something He doesn't have . National Championship. The last 3 coaches in LSU has won a National Championship. I Believe that's what He after.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Disagree.

To even be enrolled at Notre Dame??? That is quite the steep grade one has to climb; a 19% acceptance rate overall. Keep in mind that said figure also includes student athletes; need to have the academic levels match the athletic ones. Compare that to LSU's acceptance rate, 73%.... a much more manageable figure. More importantly though are the institutions themselves. Notre Dame has been historically known to accept only the best of the best but in multiple areas. If anything, while Notre Dame has successfully been a powerhouse athletic school.... that was during the days in which collegiate recruiting was more about the prestige (still is but much different) and rich tradition the college had. Compare that to LSU, who, for a long time, has been notoriously known as an athletic school and the divide becomes apparent. Notre Dame wants nothing but the best overall while LSU desires to be an athletic powerhouse in every facet.

These days? If a top flight High School Football Recruit has a choice between Notre Dame or LSU, LSU takes the cake almost every time sans some of the top flight Offensive Lineman. Furthermore and, a couple of other aspects to consider. Not only is LSU heavily focused in athletics, it also is essentially a primal spot for recruiting, a feat that Notre Dame has been successful at recently... but mainly thanks to Brian Kelly. In addition, LSU does not need to look too far in terms of recruiting overall; some of the best High School players are either close by or literally at their doorstep. Said point is another major advantage for Kelly as he no longer has to travel far to recruit big name players. Add his recruiting prowess and it is understandable as to why so many, myself included, are excited with the Kelly hire. For Notre Dame, they will still be able to attract high level talent but not to the degree of LSU for the aforementioned reasons I stated.

Now, does Brian Kelly want another National Title? I do not doubt it personally. That said, bringing Notre Dame Football back into not just relevancy but also among the Power Schools in North America is not something that can be overlooked. He deserves a shot at it; a shot with a program that will give him better standing to do so in LSU.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    1. What are You disagreeing about.(Sounds like Your in agreement)
    2. What do You mean another National Championship title??? Division 2 championships don't count, and that all He has won.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

1.) I am disagreeing about the facet of him merely going to LSU for just the National Title alone. That does play a big part in it but it is not the end all, be all for Kelly. Kelly wants LSU to be a dynasty; one that takes over Alabama for good. Merely winning a National Title will not be enough. The LSU name and branding though; will prove more of their weight in literal gold.

2.) Fair enough. He was close in 2012 and, for some reason, I thought he had won that one. Lost to, guess who, Alabama in that one. My mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OK. I get what You are saying now.:thumbs_up:
    I thought You were thinking that, but Bama beat them. He did Win some Division 2 championships.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All good!! :hi:

Regarding Kelly, him succeeding there would make me all the more happy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I predict Brian Kelly will be unceremoniously dumped by LSU in 3 years or less. It's what they do there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Would not shock me. While LSU is a haven for not just recruiting but also consistent level of play, the immeasurable pressure that comes along with said program essentially makes it the ultimate "boom or bust" Head Coaching job in all of College Sports. If the Head Coach does not obtain multiple Nattys... that coach better ready his walking papers.

Truth be told, if Kelly does not show much of anything within two seasons... he will be gone.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    After He wins a National Championship...then they will dump Him. It's their M.O.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It is a whole new operation for sure. The NIL will certainly benefit bigger schools with huge alumni base who have businesses that can offer legitimate contracts, also big name or larger market schools where the local and even national advertising budget makes it possible to make profitable use of that name and image. The ones who may suffer are the marginal athlete who may not receive a scholarship, or even lose his scholarship to a more prized player in the portal. Not all scholarships are handed put the same and there is a limit on those available.

Ultimately it is still a market based commodity. Some will win, big. Others will make some bank, still many others who think they can make out better will ultimately find they were not as good as they thought. As any market it will eventually even itself out and possibly get tweaked to make scholarship opportunities more attractive to smaller schools.

While football gets the headlines some athletes on lesser known sports (even female participants) have signed 7 figure NIL deals.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TIMSBURGH

TIMSBURGH Member

Nov 25, 2017
    For those who don't know Brian Kelly has 3 cfb national championships under his name as head coach. The division 2 Grand Valley St Lakers

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Alot of talent in the Bayou, if he get's 3/4 of the players to stay home and to go to LSU
    he will be very successful. Look at PSU they dominate the states of Pa, Va, Md in recruiting for some god awful reason.They will always be in the top 10. Or should be

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    True.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    The rich get richer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Recruiting and portal are owned by the NIL dollars. I never imagined college players would be driving a Lamborghini and an Aston Martin. I am watching TCU and Kansas State, not Texas. And USC was eliminated from the National Championships.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm still laughing about USC

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    Yeah, I didn't expect this. One would think Urban Meyers was back on the sidelines for Utah in this game.

• Like Like x 1
  25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Texas A&M! Even funnier!

But hey, Jimbos buyout is only about $80M. LMAO!!!!! :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1