1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the bears escape

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    You're doing this on purpose.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You can’t watch that game and say ben played well. Arguing that he did is asinine. His only saving grace recently is a lack of turnovers. However, that has more to do with dumb luck than smart decision making.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    10 on defense 13 special teams

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. It's faster. Believe me I know the difference between to, too, and two.
    LoL. Plus most is on my little phone ...so instead of hitting all the wrong letters...I switch numbers when I can, and Yes Prince did get me started doing this . LoL. Thank U 4 noticing. LoL :drinks:

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It is also asinine 2 suggest He has nothing 2 do with the wins.:shrug:

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You have some good points here. I share your concern regarding Harris.

I think Moore might end up having to play right tackle instead of left, but he can still be a good player.

Claypool hasn't really progressed, but I certainly wouldn't call him soft. I don't think that is the issue. I think he needs to run better routes and win more 50-50 balls.

Maulet is fine in small doses, but last night reminded us why the guy was available.

7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    at some point you have to admit his limitations are hurting us more than he’s helping. From hi accuracy issues to pour decision making to hindering the running game by playing out of the shotgun.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Personally I would rather see fewer 50-50 balls. Run better routes to creat separation and have a qb that can hit him in stride. That’s a far better recipe for success than the throw it up and hope for the best.

9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ben had an 111 passer rating. That’s decent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    right. Because that explains what happened during the game.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He played decent. Not saying he was great

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

I would say he was average to below average. Washington bailed him out on a terrible deep pass. Muth bailed him out on a pass in the dirt to get us the game winner. Ben is slow and frequently off target on wr screens. Turning your receiver around pretty much prevents them from gaining yac. But, it makes Ben’s average look better.

13. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Nah, just bustin' your chops.

Like two, "too" can also be used in math: Too + l = Glenn. Or Glemm, if you prefer. I can't keep up with the cool kids these days.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s criminal that Claypool and Muth aren’t being hit down the seem.

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Yah, Why isn’t Ben getting some MVP love? Don’t they know he’s a future HOFer?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Yeah, I think Claypool would be an example of someone that was hurt by Ben's return. Similar to ensuring a hitting prospect gets regular ABs, he'd benefit from seeing more throws.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How is it , and I'm not saying You, or just You....People only see these things in Ben, and never any other Qbs???
    I heard praise all day about J. Fields ...Mister I threw 8 passes so Far over my Wrs Heads that if they were 8 ft tall they wouldn't have caught them...plus 3 more in the dirt, but because he ran around , and had 3 actually good passes.....Oh he's going 2 Be great. LoL. I'm just using him as an example because We just played Him.
    Same people will tell Me how Lamar is balling....Yet leave off all His turnovers, and the fact that 60% of all His Td thrown are Freaking Circus catches, or How about the Great J. Allen could have beat us if He didn't overthrow His Wrs everytime they beat our CBs in the game.
    Now Here comes the obligatory...So now Your comparing Ben 2....(Qb of Your choice)....I'm comparing situations, and things that happen in a game that Some think only Ben , or the Steelers do.
    Like the annoying....why is every pass thrown short of the chains, or why do we have Lbs covering Wrs.....People watch other games, and You will see both....all the Freaking time.
    Again not aimed at You ...just using Your comment 2 piggie back

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Well you can’t say me because I haven’t pointed to any other player. I couldn’t care less what another qb may or may not have done. I certainly don’t care about your made up numbers regarding those players. I’m solely looking at Ben and his play. You’re impressed with 3 yard passes with no chance of making a first down on 3rd and 10. Ben is not playing at a high level. He’s consistently off target and it kills drives and possessions. His refusal to play under center handcuffs in the run game and kills anything resembling a play action pass. He made a great throw last week on an rpo which got us in fg range to win. We ran the same play last night with similar results. Only 18 instead of 52, but that’s beside the point. Those plays by him are the anomaly not the rule.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And not to pile on Ben because he has a lion share of blame but when you look at the final drive he hits DJ on a quick slant that was a big gain for them. Most times he looks those off as a bad play to make. Whether it's because he can't make the throw anymore or because of his college open mentality I don't know but his career long staples like the quick slant and te seam almost never get used anymore.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Of course You could care less...it always better 2 think of everything in a void. LoL.

21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Everyone going for the easy dunk on Green and Moore might want to step back and look at the game again. The difference between a Mike Tomlin coached team and the Bears last night is that when Tomlin has faced teams with two guys signed off the street to play tackle or a rookie at center or some guy from the CFL at QB he doesn't care. He doesn't see that as a weakness to attack. The bears knew the young OL that the Steelers put out there could be exploited if you stressed them. They put all 11 guys in tight didn't even try to keep a safety high just in case. They knew the run game has struggled with out a clear 1 on 1 matchup. If you have 5 guys blocking and they show 6 blitzing guys are going to struggle.

Then you add some of the strangest formation groupings and plays that didn't attack the Bears when they were daring Ben to rip them apart and you are bound to have a bad night as an OL.

The last thing is going to be your receivers and TE's and not putting them in positions to win matchups. Not forcing the issue by isolating your target and above all letting them make plays.

I won't touch the Ben thing because he has got everyone talking about his doneness don't need me to talk more about it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He has the same limitations as any QB his age has. I’ve noticed, however, that he has accepted these limitations and doesn’t try to carry the team anymore. That is a good thing. There are some quality players around him and the more he use them the better this team will be

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Coolhandluke23

Coolhandluke23 Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2021
    Man you guys are hard on ben? They have won 4 straight games. His arm looked pretty good to me.look at the chiefs they look horrible. There is no dominant this year. Any team can get beat any team any given Sunday. It's wide open.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Listening to the Terrible Podcast - Watt apparently said after the game that they were surprised with designed runs for Fields.

I guess to your point, nameless, gray faces don't require special game plans.

25. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That is one of his biggest flaws in my opinion that he doesn't attack those weaknesses. The Dallas game last season is a prime example. First NFL start for that QB and instead of max blitz the did what they always do and gave him time to hit a receiver in the soft spot of the zone.

Edit: running Qbs are hard on young inexperienced players. They see him take off and break contain or leave their man wide open.