1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin Finally Unknowingly Admits He Doesn't Know How Time Works

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HugeSnack, Nov 1, 2015.

1. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Those of you that know me know I used to always start a thread every time Mike Tomlin and/or Ben Roethlisberger cost us points, or a chance at points, with their piss-poor clock management. There used to be debate. Some would tell me I was wrong. Then I started just bumping up the same thread, because starting a new one was such a hassle. Then I gave up, out of exhaustion. But his stubbornness and stupidity is now audible, and it's rejuvenated me.

Question: So, Mike, would you rather have an additional 38 seconds to start your drive, or would you rather lose them but gain a timeout?

Tomlin: "To me, having the timeout was more significant than the 38 seconds ... I wanted to have the ability to work the middle of the field."

Yeah, Mike, it's great to have a timeout in your pocket. It means if you get tackled in bounds (be it by sack, or gain over the middle) you can call timeout and save yourself the amount of time it takes to snap the ball again. Wait, how much time does that take to snap the ball in a hurry? 8-15 seconds, dumbass.

8 seconds if you want to spike it, maybe 15 if you want to run a play. Dumbass. You cost this team about 30 seconds in a game that ended on 1st down because we ran out of time.

Somebody get this guy some math tutoring lessons, or at least a Madden game.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    the 2nd coming of Herm Edwards, who's time management issues were incurable.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I wonder why the don't have a time management guy other than Tomlin? Or maybe they do and he just sucks?

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    There's already a thread on this same subject, another 38 seconds so Ben can throw another bonehead int.

5. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You will get nothing but concurrence from me on this point - each and every game since he has coached here. We have the most ridiculous time management in the league - Pee Wee coaches are better at it than Tomlin. Cost us so many games over the years....

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well then Tomlin STILL sucks for not getting rid of THAT guy! We need a leader like Darth Vader who every time one of his guys lets him down he just chokes them, kills them, and promotes the next closest guy. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    And he does it without laying a hand on them. Problem is today Vick seemed to be standing next to him all day. Speaking of Star Wars, can't wait for the new episode in December!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    There's something we agree on! Looks like it's gonna be a good movie!

9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah it's gonna be awesome man!

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I remember standing in line back in 1977 to see the first movie. Line was over two blocks long.

11. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    Snack you are right about everything in this except what I italicized. In the world of the Steelers it takes them 35-40 seconds to run a play - even with hurry up. Seriously though you are right - the time management skills of Tomlin are beyond abysmal.

12. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    That's so cool. I feel cheated that I never got to experience them as they were new. But then I figure I would have missed out on some of the things I loved as a kid in the 80s. You can't have it all I guess. LOL! I've heard that people are paying $1,000 for a ticket to this though and that's just insane if it's true!

13. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Tomlin is garbage. Good thing he'll waste ven's career And be the pitiful coach he is for the next 15 yrs! Gonna be some slim days when we have no qb in 3 yrs

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm still fuming over it. We are a dumb team, and it starts with our dumb coach who seems to find new ways to screw up clock management every week.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Snack is always spot on with the clock analysis.....but as I said in another post, I think Tomlin wasn't sure if they would have to run a play before the 2 minute warning. He was looking up at the play/game clock as if working out which would happen first....Let's see 2:38 and 40 seconds on the play clock....um, subtract 40.....subtract 40.....CRAP, um......maybe the Bengals won't know and will just run a play anyway....CRAP they're not lining up.....

The irony is, if the situation had been reversed, we probably would have run a play before the 2 minute warning.....AFTER calling a timeout with the lead on OFFENSE.....

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ven? Is that a combination of Vick and Ben?
    Like if Vick and Ben had a kid together(I think that's possible in todays world)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Either that or we would have thrown 3 straight incompletions so that the Bengals could save their timeouts AND get the ball before the 2 minute warning.

18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah. Remember a few weeks ago against AZ when we could have just took a knee and went to the half and instead we run three quick bang bang plays that are all incomplete and just give them the ball right back and they just take it to the half? Seriously man we are stupid sometimes.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What's really fustrating is when you see poor teams run a two minute offense eith no time outs and move the ball downfield and score. Yet time and time again they blow 30 secs lining up, or Ben tries the Marino fake spike on a sideline throw for 4 yards.

20. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!: Dumbest move of the season. His logic is so far off. I just couldn't believe our entire team was just standing around watching time run off of the clock when we are LOSING.

21. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Dude, I'll trade you 15 years for the memories, of mom taking me out of school and standing in line, any day of the week and twice on Sundays!!

22. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

:ACK!:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    TTF, there are no words that correctly express just how messed up that is

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    It would sure be interesting to be a fly on the wall during meetings between Tomlin and the Rooneys. I wonder if they ever say anything in regards to his decisions.

25. Steelers412

Steelers412 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2015
    I can't blame him for this loss. I think the more worrisome thing is his reasoning. After watching how it went down and how quick they were getting to the line after long passes over the middle. The timeout was useless and rather have the time but I guess he didn't want to take some blame since Ben threw 3 ints.