1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Martavis - 4 Game Suspension

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CanadianSteel, Aug 27, 2015.

1. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Oh wow yeah I would have been screwed lol. Yeah we had three people get busted in basic. Hell my recruiter told me burn all you want until 3 months before you leave because they will test you right away.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i wonder if the team knew about this possibility early on and hence the drafting of coates and all the other wr's we seemed to stockpile. as i said, we got rid of santonio holmes for this very reason. :cool:

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I have a hard time swallowing that personally, but it's possible.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it just kinda makes me wonder now. did we really need a 3rd round wr with dhb,wheaton,ab and bryant already here and goodwin sitting on the PS? i'm just floored by this news about bryant, and this being his 2nd fail. thats huge with the next one being a year, just like holmes. why would they do it then and not now?:cool:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well if Martavis was gonna be in the congregation I might just use it. LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I would strongly consider trying to trade him to a team like the Panthers who are desperate for a WR and might give up a 2nd for him. Then throw Coats in at 3 and give him the trial by fire treatment.

As long as Brown and Wheaton stay healthy, we should be solid at the WR position. It is just unfortunate to not have the vertical threat and height that Bryant provides.

That said, if he can get his head on straight I would be all for keeping him, as I strongly believe in second chances (though this may be his third). I just fear that this will be a recurring thing thus it makes sense to cut our losses now and save us the pain of having to deal with it later.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    What a shame...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    "Thank you for leaving politics out of it... oh wait. We have family who we've watched weed destroy their life, hardly harmless when you see the results first hand.[/QUOTE]

Thats unfortunate and true there are instances where weed is terrible and ruins families but there are far more lives ruined by alcohol

• Like Like x 1
  9. jaygorius

jaygorius Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Actually that is precisely what I heard this afternoon on Steelers Nation Radio. It was a replay of Stan Savran talking to Matt Williamson yesterday. Matt (of ESPN and Scouts Inc, former NFL scout and Steelers fan) said that when he was talking to one of his sources with the team after the draft about why they drafted Coates the source made reference to the possibility that they may not have Byrant for a few weeks during the season. So it actually seems pretty likely they had an idea.

Edit: Just found a link to the interview:

http://www.espnpgh.com/media/podcast-stan-savran-savran/82815-matt-williamson-joins-stan-26310652/

The whole thing is a decent listen but the specific part I mention is a little before half way in. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like that player on that page displays a timestamp so I can't tell you where it starts, but my very technical scientific description would be that it starts right around when the little circle is under the corner of Stan's mouth on the big goofy picture they use of him for the background. :roflmao:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Law enforcement won't spend the time or money pursuing a person using a drug like weed for recreational use, if that person had a large amount with intent to distribute then it's a different deal. Smoking weed would only be a misdemeanor, the person could be cited by law enforcement.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    If you go by the letter of the law being high or having it in your system is not illegal. Possession and using it is illegal. Also in almost every state and now federally it has been decrimilized and is just a ticket for anything under a half ounce. If you had nothing on you and a cop came to your house you could tell him you were high as hell and there wouldn't be anything he could do. Hell in high school I would always answer my teachers with a yes when they would ask me if I was high. I also never carried into the school or on its property so there was nothing they could do. They did search my locker like once a week though lol.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    When a player flunks his first 2 tests, the team isn't supposed to be informed according to the CBA.

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    the second one being a suspension, i would think the team would be notified. :cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They might not be notified, they just may suspect something is up when Bryant doesn't report :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    or they figured since he runs his routes wrong, he just got lost with the directions to the facility.:facepalm::lolol::cool:

18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm going to have to go dig through the CBA again, because I don't think that's true. Either way, the new Substance Abuse Policy supersedes the CBA, and there's no way the team is kept unaware that their player is being placed into an intervention program.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes it is. If you are out in public they could get you for public intox but no where in the laws does it say that being actually high is against the law. I haven't gone 23 years without a pot charge for a reason. I studied and continue to study the laws inside and out.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    http://www.askdeb.com/bizarre/is-it-illegal-to-be-high/

21. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes the is under the influence while driving. If a cop comes to your house and have just smoked your last joint and have no paraphernalia or anything there is nothing they can do. They use public intox and DUI to get people so you just have to be smarter then that and always carry clear eyes on you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    What's legal, what's not and loopholes matter not when it comes to the NFL. It's a condition of employment. There's no wiggle room. You could live in CO where it's completely legal, and it wouldn't matter.

These players need to decide if getting high is more important to them than playing a game few get to play for money few get to earn. And then commit to that decision. If getting high is that important to you, get out of the way for the next guy who wants to play. If football is important, then put it down until your career is over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Oh I'm an old head and think these guys are really dumb. I work for myself I don't have to worry about drug tests and that. Yeah if you offered me millions a years I would have no problem going OK looks like I can't get high for 10 years then I can retire and smoke all I want.

24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's like saying murder isn't illegal if they can't prove you did it.
    Point is being high is illegal, just very hard to prove and prosecute.

Speaking in terms of Bryant. I'm all for giving him a second chance if he stops using drugs and gets straightened out. If he continues to use and tries to beat the system over and over then I'll consider him a scumbag and hope he gets cut and some other bad stuff I won't mention.

25. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

Last week Moss said he has been training and wants to play again.........