1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mahomes...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020

And to think his claim to fame was not turning the ball over. To this day that’s the loss that stings the most.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    That loss was devastating to me. Steelers perfect SB record down the drain to of all teams, the pompous Cryboys.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Cowher teams were usually too successful to be in a position to draft a blue chip QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin has the same problem drafting blue chip players. The misses on defense late in the draft really hurt his rebuild.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    In 2000... I remember Steelers fans going apesh!t because they passed on Chad Pennington. I was glad they got Plaxico Burress. Troy Edwards was a terrible reach the year before... 6th round talent at best in the 1st round.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Cowher passed on D. Brees in 2001. He is like the only franchise qb that he had a chance at before Ben.

Took Casey Hampton instead. I'd rather have Hampton. About 7 picks after Brees he took K. Bell.

Looking back through them draft classes you needed to be horrendous to land a qb that proved to be worth his salt. Rbs were a 1st round selection quite often.

We're going to miss Ben, drafting a qb later than the first round is bad news historically. Mason is doomed. Tomlin has a losing season if he sticks around. Late 1st rounders are having more success now that nobody can get near them without a flag.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Pennington would have been very good in Cowhers system but he’s the only QB of note that they passed on during Bills tenure. Little bit of a misconception that passed on great QB’s year after year.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Brees came out in 91, 2nd rd pick, Bill took over in 92’

I agree we are going to have a hard time replacing Ben, they thought Rudolph deserved a 1st rd grade. Need better evaluators than that.

9. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    If that’s the case he’d be in his 39th year in the NFL now! He was drafted in 2001.

As for when Ben retires, I’ve mentally prepared myself for them to kind of tear it all down and build from the ground up again

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LMAO wow, major brain fart! WTF happened there. :facepalm:

11. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    Happens to all of us. Funny though, like in 83 when Marino fell to the 27th pick alot of teams whiffed on the “undersized” Brees. Crazy to think he fell all the way to the 2nd round.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Your math is a decade off but I got your point. That would be one long NFL career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    Ha! See, happens to all of us:lolol:

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If we were to draft for a QB in the first round, wouldn't that piss someone off, like before? So, when does this happen? After Ben says he's is actually retiring or before? I am not a draft guru as I am not a real fan of its significance on where players fall at. Like Claypool last year for instance. No one wanted him in the first round. So when do we draft our next franchise QB?

15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree on the Edwards pick, I do believe Pennington would have had a successful career here, but then again if he was successful here likely no Ben in 2004.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kirkland

Oct 21, 2020
    High first round pick. There are always outliers like Montana, Brady, Brees and Wilson but historically that’s where you’re going to find your franchise quarterback.

Now could they finagle some kind of deal to bring in a Sam Darnold or some other relatively young quarterback that’s already in the league? I could see that too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    If Steelers win the Super Bowl, I say we trade Jets every pick in 2021 draft, rounds 1-7, for #1 overall. Trevor Lawrence!

18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    He passed on Brady!! (like everyone else for 5 or 6 rounds) lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Pull the old Mike Ditka card, eh! They would probably insist on Duck or Mason to seal the deal..difficult decision indeed. I mean the Steelers insist the TAKE one or both lol

• Like Like x 2
  20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    This could be done. Jets would have a sh!tload of picks... plus they could keep Darnold at QB and it would give him some weapons that he clearly has lacked since he was drafted.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Bell and Hampton were actually excellent picks, injuries hampered Bell, but in his rookie year he showed a lot of potential.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I would not mind it, but the problem with a Darnold trade involves his contract. You would need to pick up his 5th year option, which under the new CBA is performance based...he has under preformed his draft status..so possible do able, but you have the the problem of not really knowing what you have for the future. He has 2 years left on hos contract, say they extend Ben 2 years for Cap relief and Ben plays 2...you then have to make a decision on Darnold. You can tag him and see what you have, still a lot of if involved.

23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Just a few decades off. We won't see it, but there was some stat on the % of those born this year will live to 100...it was high. There will be a day when 50 yo QB's will wonder why it was such a big deal Brady played at 43 lol.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    After Ben wins a few more SBs. ;)

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The Jets? Weapons are wasted on that franchise. The good ones want out, the contract seekers want in.