1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Macs mock

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Jan 31, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have seen him. Not sold on him as an in-line blocker. They didn't use him that way much. :cool:

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah maybe. I think he has that versatility though. Just a thought....

3. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Right size and speed but that part is missing.:cool:

4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well if you consider Kyle J played at Harvard and honestly I don’t know how he was used there but he didn’t go up against great competition either. My point is what makes Kyle J effective is his versatility and his smarts. They are able to use him in so many different ways and he’s smart enough to know all his assignments. I don’t think he wows teams with his athleticism. I just think his versatility gives them different options and the element of surprise.

Like I said just someone I think can fit the bill. No one comes in a finished product . I like what he offers now and IMO I think he can pick up on the other stuff. At worst I think he’s a #2 TE if you choose to just play him there...
    Everything hinges on FA and how the draft breaks but I like him in the 4th or later if we don’t address the position sooner...jmo

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They might draft a WR because this draft is deep at WR, and they need a speed WR, also JuJu is in the last year of his contract. Just because Baltimore drafted 2 TEs, doesn't mean the Steelers need to do the same.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Iowa FB Brady Ross 6' 246 is a LBer convert. Looks the part too.

7. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Credit: DownTheDrive.com
    Josiah Deguara – Cincinnati
    Height: 6’3
    Weight: 240

I am not sure there is a tight end in this class who has flown under the radar more than Josiah Deguara. This season, he became Cincinnati’s all-time leader in receptions from the tight end position. This might not sound too impressive at first glance, the Bearcats have been surprisingly solid in producing NFL-level tight ends. While I do not think Deguara is on the level of Brent Celek and Travis Kelce, I do believe he has the tools to have a productive career at the next level. He is not flashy, and I am not sure that he does anyone thing spectacular, but Deguara is too well-rounded to not be someone to watch this week.

Deguara lined up in a variety of alignments for the Bearcats this season spending time at H-back, slot receiver, X receiver and in the traditional in-line position. Despite being on the shorter side, Deguara is extremely thick, and his weight is very proportional to his body. He has shown comfort catching outside of his body and displayed great concentration along the boundary. He does not have a ton of deep speed, but Deguara has proven he is fast enough to get into the second level in a hurry. His releases in play-action are incredibly sneaky which allowed him to get behind sleeping secondaries. As a route-runner, Deguara is surprisingly sharp coming out of his breaks and has shown the ability to separate at the top of his routes in a variety of ways. He had limited snaps where he was relied on as an important run-blocker, but Deguara has displayed enough energy and willingness for coaches to work with. He has a ton of strength in his upper body which caused defenders trouble breaking away once engaged.

Because of his shorter arms and squatty frame, Deguara does not possess an incredible catch radius and will likely not be a guy to bring down 50/50 balls with consistency. Deguara was not asked to block much from an in-line position. Other than a willingness to block, he is pretty raw in terms of technique and might take a little more time to transition than expected. Deguara has plenty of strength, but he was thrown to the side by defenders at times because of his inability to stay balanced. He might be best in a role similar to Kyle Jusczcyk, where he is utilized as more of a full-back/H-back but gets some opportunities in the passing game. While I do think his skill-set would be intriguing, he does not seem like a guy that could land in any offensive scheme and produce positive results.

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    As long as we bring some of these guys in to compete. Deguara, Ross and there are several others that could fit the bill. It is a big help in the run game. We missed his last year. We need a backup ready to play or get rid of his if he's hurt. All year we waited for his knee to heal. Will it be healed with more time off?

I like Wilcox from South fla. as a TE prospect. Heck I still like rader. I think we kept him for a reason. He just wasn't quite ready yet but he has another year in the system. His problem was getting caught holding on the edge.

I still like vannett. If we add a FB, I think we can be alright without McDonald and rolling with vannett gentry, or rader and a hidden gem like Wilcox or deguara. As long as they can be effective in what they do.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They already have a FB in Nix :shrug:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

one that can play more then a game and a half. :cool:

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That was just last season, are we going to replace Ben too, he only played a game and a half?

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we had other qbs. We didn't have another fb.:cool:

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The way those other QBs played, you could say we really didn't have other QBs :hehehe:. They can probably find a FB in the 7th round, or a UDFA.

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    My original thought was one of those h-back types that can do either. TE and lead blocker. Takes care of two needs with one guy. I agree about udfa. Bring guys in to compete. If nix gets or stays injured we need a call back guy at least on the ps minimum. I'd rather a guy that can actually stay on the field in different ways. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe a rb needs to be chosen late
    I love JC but he just can't be relied on.
    Another OL and we are good to go. And an OC&OLC
    that knows how to teach run game.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If you want to look at the position of FB simplistically then yes we can probably find someone who can run in a straight line and block in the 7th or UDFA,,that’s relatively simple. Like I said in another post though,we are closer to being SF than KC. It’s very likely the next few years we are probably going to have more of a game manager type at QB, unless something surprising happens. Strong D, running game and a mistake free QB can win you a lot of games. Finding a FB/TE in the mold of Kyle Juszczyk would be a QB like that’s best friend. Nix is constantly hurt and he’s not used much anyway because he doesn’t have much versatility. I would invest in the right guy to fill a TE/FB/H back role. I think it would be a great fit for us and what we should be trying to do as a offense.

So yeah if you want to stay basic and simple we can probably find a FB later. I would be looking for more than just a FB....jmo

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree with what you are saying and I believe we are on the same plan. These guys are not heavily sought after by many teams and I think we can find one late or after. I've seen this team of ours before and they stick with something way too long before a revelation appears. I'm not confident that they will get rid of nix. So I do want a backup plan and not a LB, turned FB like they were trying. We need something in between Kyle j. and David johnson.

as far as a game manager at qb, well I have theories about that too. Lol go figure. I'm not really getting my hopes up of change with the powers that be in charge with being able to figure it out. With Ben here little will change. After Ben they need a plan. I give Baltimore credit, they made the offense fit the qb. I like mason but we are running what Ben likes. It's hard to change that midseason. I still would like to keep bringing in guys that can be looked at for the future like Cole McDonald. He may be there late or after the draft. A two dimension guy. Why would you quit looking? You also have to protect them. Ideally you let Ben finish with Randy and you let Canada work with these young guys for the future. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    2. Bradlee Anae Utah edge

3. Leki Fotu Utah. NT

4. James Proche SMU WR

4. Tanner Muse Clemson S/LB

6. Cohl Cabral Arizona St. OL

7. Ben Ellefson North Dakota St. TE

Anae- good size 6-3 265. Very impressive numbers and awards. Check him out. Would fit quite nice opposite watt.

Fotu- big,quick space eater we need at NT. 6-5 335. Mammoth guy that can move.

Proche- not big, decent speed, extremely productive. Catches a lot of balls and balls for TDs.

Muse- safety/LB they have been wanting.

Cabral- high football IQ. C/G/T capable. 4 year starter. Good feet.

Ellefson- maybe my favorite. Go watch this kid play. Very good blocker. Hits multiple targets. Moves well. Good receiver. Won't wow anybody. I believe this kid would become a favorite. I think he could be used in many ways, TE,FB really good athlete. You have to check him out. See if you see what I see and envision him not leaving the field. Whether it's blocking or receiving from the TE spot or FB spot. Hidden gem.

ok there you go. Some good talent to look at, that could slot very well when we pick. Also would fill our needs. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015

I do hope we get a defender from Utah, their defense was stout last year. They have some talent there.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes they were. The other DT Penisini is also big and quick and productive. Those two equal 668lbs. of big, quick, productive and nasty. Replace Hargraves and McClendon and Dupree in one draft off of one team. Penisini may even be a 7th or later udfa pick if he stays under the radar. 37 tackles last year. Anae plays the right side too. :cool:

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Anae had a good showing at the Senior Bowl

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

Bump. Still liking this version 2.0:cool:

23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like it also.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    May even move cabral down to the 7th and toss in Gibson the RB from Memphis in the 6th. Ellefson could probably be had as a priority udfa. :cool:

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Some things have changed. New FB. Bud tagged. Finney gone. Hargraves gone. Hilton and Feiler tendered. So here I go with version ........

2. J.K. Dobbins rb Ohio State
    3. Bradlee Anae edge Utah
    4. Jonah Jackson G/C Ohio State
    4. Tanner Muse ilb Clemson
    6. John Penisini DT Utah
    7. John Reid CB Penn State.
    :cool:

• Like Like x 1