1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lose Out?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers '08, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The only hope this week is that we're getting a few bodies back -- Conner, Vince, Dotson -- and Tomlin generally prepares his team better when they are threatened or vulnerable. It's his primary (only?) strength as a head coach.

I also see that Ben held a players only meeting for the offense. Hopefully it was a mutiny. He needs to start calling plays and ignoring Fichtner and Tomlin. Don't like it, bench him.

2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The fixes:

1. The Chiefs have an offensive line that is just as bad as ours. However they have better run play designes and much better play calling and passing designed plays then we have. Yes Ben is playing terrible now, but there are more problems then him.

2. We should of never put Fieller at left guard and kept him at right tackle, we should of played Dotson at left guard more to help in running plays, along with better running schemes. We don't have anybody better then no. 60 to play center when Pouncy was hurt. He is the worst. With Villanueva struggling last week with the defensive tackle of the Bengals you would think they would give him some help with chipping him with a running back or tight end.

3. Leading the league in dropped passes is something that should of been fixed several games ago. Why would you throw to your 3 string tackle at the goal line. Why would you throw to your 3 string running back, both of these on crucial 3 or 4th down plays.

4. Pissing other teams off by dancing on their logo's is not smart and should of been fixed several games ago.

5. Does it take 3 or 4 years or however long to find out that Allen and Giibert are terrible.

All I'm saying is there are more problems here then Ben and these problems are not new and have been accumulating for several games now. Ben has been carrying this team for years now, and I don't have the confidence that we have the coaching to fix all the problems that this team needs. Yea the injuries sure don't help but we have other problems also beside big Ben playing bad and injuries.

3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    I agree however........Ben can’t throw the football anymore. That my friend is a major problem moving forward.

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    He isn’t, though. He’s throwing to Ebron in triple coverage while Claypool is running free to the end zone. Then he’s going long to a covered Washington when Ebron is wide open for a first down. Screens get sniffed out but he doesn’t change the play, so we get illegal man downfield. On the short slants and crosses - our bread and butter - his timing has been woeful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree on 2 and partially on 1. Playcalling needs to be better but we have had guys running open and Ben either not seeing them or missing them. So it’s a mixture for me. There’s a lack of imagination with the plays which we seemed to have earlier in the season.

On 3, it’s not like they’ve ignored it - in terms of things like extra drills in practice etc. I would have liked to see Washington used more instead of DJ though.

On 4 - does that happen every game? I’ve only seen it in the Cincinnati one. Either way, I don’t put too much stick in it. Finley didn’t pull out his best game just because he was offended. The offense going 3 and out constantly did more to help that.

On 5: UG3 remains a mystery as the training camp reports always seem positive. Allen is a back up S playing LB so I guess he’s as good as you would expect there. In an ideal world we’d have better guys there but when you’re down to your 5th or 6th string we don’t have enough picks or cap to store above average guys there.

I guess my view is that we do have a number of problems, not all fixable. But Ben’s play and injuries are by far the most impactful at this stage.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I seen during the Bill's game a couple of times. When the Oc talked 2 Ben and was pointing at the sheet , Ben would shake his head, like No.
    So I'm not sure he's listening 2 Fichtner anyway.