1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Look At Me! Another Fire Mike Tomlin Thread!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Dec 10, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Last night we saw a clear example of why Mike Tomlin should be replaced as the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

You have a defense that had gotten it's collective asses kicked for an entire half. A defense that at one point had allowed the opposing running back to gain over 100 yards on 7 freaking carries. A defense that had gaping holes in the secondary for the entire first half.

So what happens??? The defense gets an interception after giving up 29 consecutive points. After the interception the team sprints to the end zone to take an all smiles, cheesy, mock team photo in the end zone.

What the serious $#%&???? At any level of football the head coach would have been all over his players for such a blatant disregard for how poorly they had played. I have been around pee wee coaches who have instilled far more discipline with their team, and by pee wee I mean 9 and 10 year Olds.

What does Mike Tomlin do? He stands there. He doesn't scream at his players. He doesn't point out that there is no need to celebrate one good play down 29 to 0. He just stands there.

This to me sums up what the culture is like on the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Guys do whatever they want. Guys say whatever they want. They do and say whatever they want, whenever and wherever they want. There are no repercussions, because their Head Coach doesn't seem to think that having a discipline locker room is his job.

This team can keep Tomlin for another 10 years if it wants to. The names on the back of the jerseys will change, but until the culture does, this team will not be winning any playoff games.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    He has COMPLETELY lost the team! His blank stares week after week...watching his team get destroyed, is proof enough! No yelling , no correcting, no emotion...

Just keep on doing what your doing... I'm immune to criticism!

3. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I’m not a fire MT guy. Not a huge fan either. Ownership needs to get in his ass a little bit.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Man, I am sorry you headed for the exit at Half Time last night.

If you had stuck around you would have seen how Tomlin was the master of the 2nd half adjustments and had both sides of the ball completely dominating their opponents.

I tell you Tomlin was a genius last night in the 2nd half, but again too bad you missed it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    True. And yet they still earned the L. This is the worst defense and OL the steelers have put on the field since the 80s.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You’re late to the party bro.
    http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/down-22-points.27590/#post-948734

7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    They have doctors specific for that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    What teams players DON'T do that now?

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Would probably be different if said 9-10 year olds had a union and a CBA.....

• Like Like x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm so tired of this excuse. It's like I tell my kids. I'm not worried about what the other kids are doing. I'm worried about what you're doing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I am really not sure how this applies. There is nothing in the CBA that prohibits Tomlin from scolding his players for acting like jackasses.

12. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The fist half was Tomlin, the 2nd half was luck.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    True but, the NFL wants entertainment. It wasn’t that long ago that the league fined players for excessive celebrations. Now, it seems to be encouraged. Coaches like Noll and coughlin and Lombardi wouldn’t last in today’s NFL. Bellychuck is about the last man standing and only because he wins.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm sick of bashing Tomlin and I'm sure the majority of yinz are sick of me doing it as well. I just wish there was some sort of sideline coaching to his methods. He may scold them to the depths of hell during halftime for all I know (seriously doubt it though) but when I see the same lack of fundamentals week in and week out it infuriates me to no end. Boils my blood and just simply isn't worth the stress.

Go Steelers.:scared:

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    That is what you thought you saw. I saw a team way ahead take their foot off the gas until it was time to step on it again to win the game. The objective is to win the game right? I mean if MT is a genius, why didn't he win the game? How many geniuses were on the sidelines last night?

I get there are various groups that think one way or another about MT and the billion or so posts prove that. Where has all of the beeching and complaining, and etc. gotten us? We saw last night. So here we go again, albeit with good reason, but we all know what is going to happen by now, right? JMO>

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think what happens between today and Tuesday will be telling. The most likely thing will be that the players get a 4 day weekend and after extended rest get right back after it on Wednesday. Personally I'd tell them all that they didn't earn it an have them at Southside tomorrow at 7am for film breakdown and game planning. I'd also throw the privilege of vet's day off out the window. Everyone practices on Wednesday Everyone.

Lastly I would have the brain trust and I dont say that as demeaning as it sounds as a negative but rather the reality of the situation since it is a collaborative effort between AR2, KC, and Tomlin. I'd have a nice long sit down with Mr. Roethlisberger about his intentions, his passive aggressive bullcrap and what being a leader of men means. Namely you don't get to spout off about quitting, this team never quits, calling out teammates who need to run under passes or talking about no music in the locker room as a show of respect for Dan Rooney but his ping pong table is ok and then ducking a question about getting after Chase for stupid childish sh@+ not being his job. Maybe call Cam in too because while I love his heart and effort the whole don't show up for this or that preseason activity until the league has a more definite plan actually did harm the team.

Just my thoughts on the matter but like I said most likely 4 days off with Ben not doing anything until walk through on Saturday.

18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, Doctor Cody Wallace:

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Lol

• Like Like x 1
  21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Vikings players(Cook & Jefferson) postgame said it's been an all season issue for them.
    They go flat in the halftime locker room.
    They should have a better record, but have given away wins.

22. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    The more Cowhers guys left retired or were run off the more the culture changed. You could see it year after year. And the more it changed to what his is the less successful he was on the field. Went from winning a Super Bowl to consistently in the playoffs to struggling to make the playoffs and win the division.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey TuRnDoWnForWaTT.

I could not agree more with your post.

Specifically: "This team can keep Tomlin for another 10 years if it wants to. The names on the back of the jerseys will change, but until the culture does, this team will not be winning any playoff games."

Yes, the players will come and go as you stated with the names on the back of the jerseys. However, the constant (Tomlin) is the common denominator throughout this past decade of underachievement and failure. Sure, sure, he has never had a losing season. And what? Hopefully he can right the ship and win us another championship or several if he hangs around but in all honesty that really looks like more of wishful thinking than a realistic possibility.

One of the most frustrating parts to all of this is that the media continuously stating of how "great' a coach he is. However, when you get into the meat and potatoes of the last decade, and his teams' accomplishments, or lack thereof, and never finishing under .500, there is absolutely nothing there to tout about.

Yes, he did what he was supposed to do when he was handed "Cowhers" Team when first hired. Good for him. I appreciate it. So did Barry Switzer (cowgirls) and Georger Siefert (49ers) under similar circumstances. However, as clear as day, and pointed out here countless times, as Cowher's players one by one rode off into the sunset you could start to get a much "clearer" view of Mike Tomlin the Head Coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The ineptness started to come into view clearer and clearer basically once he finished his fifth year as our Head Coach. It has only gotten progressively worse with the passing of time.

However, the Tomlin Loyalists, and the media, are either delusional, in complete denial or just content to settle for mediocrity. Tomlin has had some very good personnel to work over the past decade. This should have amounted to at least getting one more ring if not several. The era of Brown, Bell, Bryant, Miller and the ever-present Ben was one time frame that was a missed opportunity. Probably our best shot at another championship or two.

Then while we still had a decent Offensive Line intact and we had a new set of skilled-position players: JuJu, Claypool, Washington, Johnson and several other on Offense, another opportunity was missed.

Throughout those two missed opportunities, the Defenses were sound enough to have done their parts. Tomlin has definitely underachieved given "His" teams. No doubt about it.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Mike Tomlin won the SB with 13 players signed or drafted by the Cowher regime. He went back and lost the SB with 8 players signed or drafted by the Cowher regime. Since then, he’s credited with 5 playoff wins. That’s 5 playoff wins in a dozen seasons. Are the Rooney’s content with mediocrity? Why don’t they expect more from their Staff?

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Sorry man. Im not buying it. Mister master of second half adjustments made a poor call on the 2pt conversion. What was even worse than that was the play call.

The Steelers got back in this game because the Vikings let their foot off the gas, and because Kirk Cousins sucks. Ben got hot, and Najee tried to will the Steelers to a win. Tomlin had nothing to do with it. He stood there like he always does, and when he had to make a coaching call that would impact the game, he made the wrong one.

• Agree Agree x 4