1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Local Businesses affected?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    With little to now fans showing up, are these businesses that depend on fans going to make it?

I'm not in the know so I was just wondering...

How is the Strip doing? 100% of their business depends on fans. I definitely would hate to see any of them have to close up shop.

2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Da Stellars.

It is very sad to see some folks dreams evaporate. Some businesses will never recover. Simply, it is over for some, for good.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Wish I could say something different, but the reality is that league wide (and actually sports wide), the vendors that aren't a part of a larger corporation are not going to make it.... It's a sad reality, but reality nonetheless

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It’s a shame, but that’s capitalism. Unless of course it’s a billion dollar corp then you get tax payer funded bailouts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They have been pushing local small business on multiple media platforms to try and help keep businesses afloat during these uncertain times. Some businesses are taking a huge hit though. Two of the major theater chains in the US are facing bankruptcy.

6. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey blackandgoldpatrol.

I hope all is well in your World . All is good here.

I have the utmost respect for the "Small" Business Owner. In huge part, that is what this Great Country is built on. These folks take a risk on a dream. I do not know that statistics on succeed vs. fail. Nonetheless, and again, nothing but respect for these folks. I will try to minimize the politics here. "Both" Sides fighting over the so-called "Next" Stimulus Package. Wow! Benefits ran out as of August 1, 2020. THAT IS OVER TWO MONTHS AGO! So, while the "Powers To Be" in Washington D.C. live off of the fat of the land with their over-bloated salaries, no-term limits, multi-millions in assets, living in their fancy houses up on "The Hill" and so-forth and so-on, continue on. Taking recesses at that. Not taking care of the business of the people who elected them. Just disgusting as I say around here. AGAIN, TWO MONTHS NOW! WOW!

Now in some fairness to Washington D.C., there are some citizens who are probably "Milking" "The System" who could return to work but are collecting more in salary than their jobs pay. I would like to think this is a small percentage. However, there will always be the opportunists to milk "The System" when possible. Anyway, finishing on a positive note, "Hip, Hip Hurray" to the "Small" Business Owner.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    ALL businesses are affected by shutting everything down in this economy except for online retailers.

8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Going to the Strip District is one of my favorite things to do when coming to town. I would hate to see that go away!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As others have mentioned, sad but true regarding the local business side of things. Unless said local has some immense cache in the Online Environment, not many will live to see another season. For that matter, as we speak, some are closing shop right this minute.

A couple of the local shops that I used to frequent in Vancouver are no longer in business. A shame; truly and depressingly so. Even worse is I fear that the worst is yet to come.

10. WinTheNorth

WinTheNorth Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I read the "Dirty O" shut down this spring... i've shoveled uncountable numbers of their fries into my body trying to stave off hangovers back in the day.... i think it even worked a couple times.

Obviously the deaths (and long lasting physical damage) are the worst part of this but it's really sad that our leaders couldn't come together in this time of crisis to work out creative solutions that actually helped PEOPLE stay afloat and I include small businesses up to LLC... corporations are capitalist entities and should not have been the focus IMO (even though they do provide the majority of non-government jobs). Anyway... trying hard not to make this a political comment... i place blame evenly :-J

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Every game at home it saddens me to not see folks at the stage or in front of Bussie's. Or in the lots jamming it up. To each their own on their beliefs but this handling was done wrong on all fronts. Mom n pops coast to coast were decimated. All hail home depot and target though... Many more to list but what is the point? Glad Pamela's is stil operating on the strip from what I've seen.
    D

12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    My summer community took a huge hit. Those in the know say we could never survive another summer like 2020.

This I do know for a fact, Golf is thriving!!!!!! I see it at my course and at every course in my area. The owner's of Golf courses tend to downplay how well their doing but not mine. He is having a boom and has purchased thousands of dollars of new equipment. He also got a fat check from the stimulus and kept his 9-10 employees on the books during the month they closed down the courses.

My course is a good starter course with a huge driving range. At this time last year we could move around course with ease, now it's crowded with people I've never seen before and too many school age children. Really pisses me off but happy for owner.

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    should I disagree with this post? Play tit for tat with steelhog?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And you live in a country that actually takes the virus seriously.