1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Le'Veon Bell Reunion?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, May 14, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Some of those are examples of guys the Steelers should have kept. Some are guys who still had a career because teams were desperate. Cockrell is an example of that.

Roethlisberger isn't the only reason the Steelers have done so well with receivers and he certainly isn't the only reason Bell was so good. Antonio Brown and Bell were great talents who fell into a very good situation, but some of it was actually their ability.

2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Oh, well then you'll just love the upcoming SDOT thread, "Why the Steelers were idiots for letting Mike Mitchell walk. He was better than Lupe Sanchez."

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Cockrell is in his 4th season since leaving and just won a ring. How many years do they have to survive the league before they get credit?

Without a doubt Bell and AB had talent. So did Mike Wallace do did Jesse James Ben has made a lot of guys a lot of money.

Wallace was considered the best in the business when in Pitt.... then played for what? 4 more teams. His talent kept him in the league.. there is no question about that... but did you ever hear him mentioned a the best in the league again?

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You just lumped two players who were the best in the game at their position for multiple seasons with Mike Wallace and Jesse James. Think about that.

Wallace was not the best in the business when he was a Steeler. His peak was not even close to Brown's. He made one Pro Bowl in four seasons as a Steeler. He went over 1,000 yards twice, but never caught more than 72 passes in a season. He reached double-digits in touchdowns once.

Antonio Brown caught 110 passes for 1,499 yards and eight touchdowns in his fourth season as a Steeler. He caught over 100 passes six times and led the league in receptions twice. He also led the league in receiving yards twice and receiving touchdowns twice. He was also damn near impossible to cover for years. If you really think those two were comparable, I don't know what to tell you.

It really is amazing to watch people here try so desperately to take away what Brown and Bell were before they screwed things up here. Roethlisberger was special before his body started to break down, but so was Brown. To suggest that everything Brown and Bell did was just because they had Roethlisberger on their team is just silly.

5. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I agree with you but don't think that Wallace was a slouch either. Not the best at the position but formidable. Steelers always have top shelf WRs.

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Well, that is one way to phrase it.

Another way is, well, hmm, um,....

Ok, I’m good with your eloquent response.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Brown and Bell were great athletes, idiots, but yes talented.
    They are both gone now. Gone forever. Never to come back.
    I have no problems with this.
    Why does this thread still exist?
    Will it ever end?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Najee doesn't need any influence Bell would provide which probably be only negative.

Going from starting great to holding out and smoking weed no thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Wallace was a very good player. He was not "the best in the business," as Hack put it. He wasn't considered the best at any time in his career. Brown was the best in the game for years. It took many observers some time to come around on that, but I think pretty much everybody recognized him as the best in the business for a few seasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

On what planet was Wallace the best in the game? Mike Wallace was really fast and that’s about it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    2 suggests Ben played no part in it ....is even sillier.
    Did not another RB lead the league in Rushing for the Steelers while Bell was out on one of his suspensions ,or Injurys?
    Same said Rb said...His words not mine....Bell is going 2 have 2 get use 2 being the focal point of Defense when he leaves.
    Something he never had 2 worry about in Pittsburgh.
    Also ,and you can look this up....Bell went against the least stacked boxes in The NFL ....I believe his last 2 years here.
    So....

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but In what world was S. Holmes, AB, Wallace, and Bell ...just 2 name a few the best players in the Game after they left Pittsburgh, but they were touted as the the reason our Offense was good while they were here by most of the media.
    I can't count the times I've heard. Well Ben did such , and such this week....2 the answer of....Well he has ...So, and So.

13. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe he needs some tutelage rolling blunts. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

My point was not that AB and Bell didn't have talent. I said that they did. My point is that all the players mentioned looked better with Ben as their QB than they looked anywhere else.

You can say Mike Wallace was not the best.. but that's with hindsight. The Dolphins made him the highest paid WR inb the league and the 6th highest paid player behind 4 QBs and Joe Haden. Miami thought he was one of the best... and Wallace turned down more money from the Vikings to go to Miami..... and he turned down the Steelers offer that they gave to AB.....so that's at least 3 teams that wanted to pay him like the best in the game

Based on what he did when he left...I think it's safe to say Ben had a little to do with that Miami contract.

HACK

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Didn’t Ben and Wallace set a record for deep ball completions, too?

Ben definitely elevates other players game, not just Ben but the system. I know Bell was away from the game for a year but he fell off a cliff after leaving Pittsburgh. I think you would have seen a large drop off in AB if he didn’t punk out and get cut by the Raiders. Not a drop off like Bell but just another 1,000 yard receiver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Here we go with Ben and his deep balls again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

upload_2021-5-20_21-0-8.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    By all means, show me the post in which I even implied that Roethlisberger wasn't a part of it. I'll give you a hint. That post does not exist.

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Brown was already showing some decline his final year with the Steelers. It is somewhat difficult to judge his play since he left given that he lost his damn mind.

Bell was away for a year. He returned to an offense that was a complete disaster. Both players were obviously helped by the talent and system around them in Pittsburgh, but they were also special players in their own right. Trying to take away from that by focusing on what they are now, when both are past their prime, is not accurate.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not hindsight. Mike Wallace was never the best in the business. Brown wasn't the best in the game yet, either, at that time. Sorry, but you are vastly overrating what Wallace was as a Steeler.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I believe that if Brown had played for Oakland you would have gotten an accurate picture. He can go a long way to proving how great he is by balling out this year but on the flip side, you won’t be able to take much away from it if he doesn’t.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    We would have gotten an accurate picture of a player who was past his prime, but still very good. We saw signs of that his final season in Pittsburgh, even before his meltdown at the end.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You....at the very end of the post I replied 2 did exactly that.
    I'm not here 2 argue with you, but disagreements are fine.
    Go back and read the post I originally replied 2.
    If you weren't implying that ...Well....my reading comprehension just lost about 60 points.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Deduct those points, because I did not imply that at all.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    hindsight has nothing to do with it. He was a really fast guy that likes to body catch. Brown wasn’t as fast, but he had great hands and ran decent routes. Wallace did neither of those things well.