1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Leftwich

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by biggbunch68, Jan 26, 2022.

1. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Their success is not the point. BB has had many coaches leave for opportunities elsewhere. Their success or lack there of could be for many reasons we don't know. Say what ever you want about Bellicheat but he's clearly a good leader. His players listen to him, they're disciplined, and they win. His coaches are highly desired and he seems to groom them for bigger and better things. Good leaders create leaders. That is a trait of all great leaders and I think it's only fair to ask why hasn't Tomlin done the same with this staff? Coaching in the NFL is a small exclusive group. They talk. If the word out of Pittsburgh was Tomlin is a great coach don't you think his staff would be sought after for promotions?

Pretty much every respected coach under Tomlin has been chased off or forced into retirement. Couple left for lateral positions with other teams. Tomlin is not after leaders or guys with head coach potential. We had them and they were fired. He wants inexperienced coaches. Why do yo suppose that is? Either experienced coaches don't want to be here or he doesn't want them. I think most people would also agree that the steelers seriously lack good leadership. usually it comes from certain players or coaches. Cam seems to be the only true leader on the Defense. Offensively I don't see that we have one. Watt is awesome but he's a kind of an introvert. Tomlin clearly thinks he's the leader and doesn't want any other coach stepping on his toes as a leader. Ego maniacs like BB don't roll that way...why does Tomlin?

I've heard players say they like playing for Tomlin. They like his locker room and practice because it's relaxed and fun. They don't say they love Tomlin . Players are not fighting to come play from him. Ex players are not coming out and saying this guy is a great coach. He's a player's coach. That IMO just means he doesn't demand anything or expect anything. They can do what they want. We look like that on game day as well so I think it's probably accurate. This has not been a team first team since we last won a SB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    let’s see how successful he is. I hope we does well.

Lets not pretend that the success of a coaching tree dictates how good the coach is. Take a look at Belichicks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Between he and Brunell I'm pretty sure I hated the Jags for years. Can't believe a warm weather team would repeatedly take it to the Steelers

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The team was a bit of a force with Coughlin at the helm. Even in the Del Rio Leftwich era they were still competitive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed. Even when nobody could run on us they were the team that could. With Fred T, and later with MJD

7. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think all that proves is BB hires better coaches.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Until those coaches have to go out on their own and be the man.

9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yes, but not if we're playing them. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Unfortunately, he did this against the defense I was playing on in the Rubber Bowl (when it was still a stadium). I didn't think it was great at the time. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did Leftwich back out? Just saw Doug Pederson was named Jags head coach

12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I guess so:shrug:

13. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    He had the gonads to say he will not work with their GM. Have to respect the guy for standing his ground

• Like Like x 2
  14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The Saints have showed interest in Leftwich since Payton stepped down. So it seems like Leftwich put the brakes on Jax.

15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

With a GM like Baalke.... why would he want to go there?! Baalke wants a puppet and Perderson is the perfect candidate. Shahid seems to be too oblivious about it all to care.

16. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Wow! That sucks for Leftwich. Good for him for sticking to demanding a competent GM. Hope he gets one of the couple jobs available. I wonder if Arians will step down and Byron coach the Bucs? Saints?

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I heard today that the Saints are looking at Eric Bieniemy. I would take B. Leftwich way more seriously. A. Reid calls those plays, and it's with Mahomes. Leftwich has worked with a lot more Qbs. JMO

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Completely agree. Also Leftwich showed some serious integrity and leadership by rejecting a head coach position; Bienemy seemed way too comfortable with Reid running the show for me. Bienemy should have gone to another team to design and call the offense if he couldn't get a head coaching job. Leftwich didn't design the Bucs offense but he did call it and he is more aggressive in pursuing opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

Not really surprised. Tomlin is the standard of mediocrity right now.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Leftwich isn't a HC, he's still Tampa's OC :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    off topic, didn't want to start a thread for this.

Power rankings for the 2022/23 season have our beloved Steelers at 26. Biggest reason, Ben all gone.

CONGRATS SIDNEY CROSBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    But he's getting looks and will likely be next year. I was surprised but I can understand not wanting to take on Jax mess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Kind of funny they started us ranked low last year.... because they said the Qb was old, and washed.
    Now they have us ranked low because the old, and washed Qb has retired. LoL. The often said "Can't Win for Losing " seems 2 ring true here.:shrug:

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The rumor was that Leftwich didn't want to work with the Jaguars GM.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    that does not fit the narrative so it needs to be ignored.

• Like Like x 1