1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Lake gone

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by GoalLine, Feb 7, 2018.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Who the hell was Seattle's secondary coach when the Legion of Boom's secondary was rising to power and ultimately helping them win a Super Bowl?

Hire that guy. We need to draft corners like Richard Sherman and safeties in the mold of Kam Chancellor. These guys are Brady-killers.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Willie Gay has got to be a darkhorse

3. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Yeah, this. I want a savant, not a former player... we need world class coaching for world class results

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    I'd love Foxie to be our DC; what has Butler ever done to prove he is any good? Run Lebeau's antiquated system? It ruled in the 90's. Now it tricks NO ONE. Ever notice how even 3rd string QBs just calmly find the open receiver as our blitzer never get's close? What is wrong with Rooney's eyesight to not see this system is junk?

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What they run now doesnt resemble the 90s at all. They have a hybrid system now which I believe they need to simplify. Too many packages.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

My thoughts exactly.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Thank you Mr. Lake for all that you have done! Please enjoy life to the fullest and most prosperous as you can no less.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Didn't we set a record for sacks this year?

9. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Ok, so if I follow the logic correctly..... Munchak was an OL coach, promoted to HC, back to OL coach..... hmmmm..... Mike Tomlin could be his replacement DB coach/HC/demote himself to DB coach ?

And thanks Carnell, good bad or otherwise, it was nice having you back. Best wishes

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. xplatformjedi

xplatformjedi Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Great players don't always make great coaches.

Up next...Joey Porter. Bye Joey.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I don't know if Lake deserves all the blame, some of the blame, or none of the blame for the poor play of the secondary. There are certain intangibles that can't be coached, like speed, quickness, and pursuit angles. in my opinion I think Lake has to shoulder some of the blame, for 18 weeks straight we saw miscommunication with the secondary, that is squarely on the coach.

I'm not big on Artie Burns or Sean Davis, I think the lack of development isn't on Lake. Burns tries to guess because he doesn't have the ability to change direction very fast. The other thing is the tackling, and he knows how to tackle, he just looks like he doesn't want to. Davis can tackle....Unless he has to chase and then he consistently takes poor angles and he also make poor reads, virtually no improvement from last season, those are things he should be learning but isn't.

I think Lake moving on wasn't 100% his own decision, I think this may just be one of those sacrifice retirements knowing the fan base is worried about the lack of change on the defensive side of the coaching staff. It is a shame because while I think he deserves some blame, having guys like Mike "remember my name" Mitchell as the veteran leader wasn't exactly a help not to mention he was dealing with not so great talent.

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Remember during the season when I posted on here and said Lake was on the hot seat, and you totally dismissed it :shrug:.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    lol you're so desperate to serve me crow. You must have a list of these things on your desk :facepalm:

Funny thing though, report I read said he stepped down to be with his kids.

You can stick that plate of crow someplace else ;+)

14. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Great player, but our young DBs have shown virtually no improvement, and actually regressed. I still think our DB guru of a head coach should shoulder some blame, but whatever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    A former player would be fine, if he had the skill set required to be a good coach. What we need is a Richard Mann-type; Someone who knows how to develop, and get the best from, his players.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think there was blame to go around the whole coaching staff. There were players who did do well under Lake, players with limited skill who played above the line. Hilton this year, Cockrell, Blake (before being moved to starter).

I think communication issues falls more on Butler. It's his scheme.

If Lake was forced to step down, it will come out, always does.

Hopefully they bring in someone that's has been very successful with coaching up DBs.

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah man way too soon......are you forgetting his second career as a safety.....c'mon get with the times...

18. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    I'm not sure a position coach gig would even pay him as much as his TV gig. He would at LEAST be looking for a DC gig. But he's been pretty major fail as HC twice now, right?

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Dilly Dilly.:cool:

20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Eh, he was no dummy, but more than anything, he had freakish athletic traits; how many safeties were big enough and strong enough to play like a LB, but so fast an agile that he could play and cover well enough as a CB? That is rare. He actually played CB - and did it well - for an entire season. The problem with guys like that as coach is you can't teach those physical skills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m still impressed when he came into that one game and was setting up the D.
    Was that the Shazier injury game?

22. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Well, Lake wasn't the most physically talented when he played. (he had size and speed and he could turn his hips better than most his size) He was smart and physical though. IIRC he also swapped CB/Safety during his career and even mid-year as well.

Woodson was insanely physically gifted, but also was extremely smart and fundamental as well.

Gay got all his playing time from being prepared and watching game film. When they let him lose a few seasons ago he was always talking about seeing something in film when he got his interceptions. He learned to be fundamental after his first stint. If he had just a little more physical talent he makes a few more plays and this team likely has a few more Lombardi's!

23. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Great player. Below average coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, if his guys aren't in good communication with what's being called, he's got to be able to simplify that or get the DC to change his playcalls so they can handle it better.

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It was for part of that game and the next. Dirty Red was in and got a stinger I believe. Then they tried Fort the next game, but he couldn't make the calls.