1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kris Richard should be the DC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by FosterMorris, Jan 27, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    I don't know why he isn't a DC. The Steelers interviewed him. He has had great experience in the best coverage scheme of the "new NFL." The Seahawks finished 1st, 3rd and 13th in points allowed with Richard as DC. "Legion of Boom" was hurt in his last year when finishing 13th.

I understand that Richard was in a similar position to Butler then in terms of how much control he had. The Seahawks still had the best coverage scheme where they would shade coverage away from Sherman concentrating defenders on the other side of the field. The Steelers don't have a Sherman but they do have Minkah as ETIII. Haden understands zone concepts as well as Sherman he's just not as big.

I would love it if Richard was the new DC and actually controlled the defense. A change is badly needed. Why not change to the most effective scheme of the past decade?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I'd be willing to bet he said he wasn't interested after being told you will run Mike Tomlin's defense and he will probably be calling most of the plays.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If this stuff is 100% true...it seems only desperate would come here...unless
    1. It's not true
    2. Tomlin says 2 them they have full control.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

There was a time when any coach on the planet would kill to be the d-coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers. We no longer have top caliber coaches wanting to coach here. Why is that? I can understand wanting a 3-4 guy given the personnel we have. If the FO and HC like that style then so be it. But Tomlin should be more than willing to give full reigns otherwise to a new DC. I just don't think MT wants that. He wants to run the defense with the DC. A high caliber DC isn't going to do that unless they fully believe a SB ring is probably. Some of these candidates are also candidates for other jobs. Maybe they want to see how their other interviews pan out? But it's not rocket science. This is not a job most experienced coordinators want any part of. Also consider the fact that Tomlin is not exactly creating career opportunities for coordinators. People joke about his coaching tree but it is a real issue. Good leaders create leaders. Arians pushing for Byron to get HC opportunity speaks volumes. Look at the careers Belicheat and Cowher launched.

Everyone wants Canada fired and rightfully so. But who would we get? What good OC would really want to come here with no QB and no O-line ? Especially if the HC wants a specific short pass , conservative style? I get ball control offenses. I don't get this offense. It makes zero sense and there's a reason why no one else did it the last 2 years. I'm excited to see what a young QB can do but I'm not excited to watch this offense.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    The Pittsburgh post gazette quoted Keith Butler saying Tomlin calls the plays. Do you feel he was lying?

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No. That's what bothers Me.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah. Tomlin makes everything a big secret. It's so weird.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The quotes coming out do make you wonder. My question is are these related to game plan or specific calls on each snap?

I go to the games and naturally you can see so much more. When the defense is on the field, I see Tomlin yelling to players on the sideline, talking to refs, talking to other coaches. These are all things he could not be doing if he was calling play by play. Unless something changed in the last couple games and I missed it.

Or is this just in specific game situations, which all head coaches do.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Reading this it sounds like he called them all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m reading Bill Cowher’s book and he had a section on the one game he decided to take over for Ray Sherman and it was a disaster. He was clear he could not do the head coach things at the same time as calling the plays for the OC. He said players were constantly on the field yelling for a play. And as I stated I see Tomlin doing other stuff between plays, there are only seconds to make a call, and change personnel.

This doesn’t add up. I’m not arguing.

Im just wondering if they are talking more about the defensive game plan installed during the week?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Bill is right. How many times have we seen confusion on the defense. Tomlin even admitted in one of his pressers he was late getting a play in one time. How often has that happened?

He’s a head coach, he should delegate, it takes a collective effort to have a winning club, shouldn’t try to do it all. Send in certain plays in certain situations by all means but don’t call the whole game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    No wonder he retired

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    IDK, that’s not what I’m reading

Although, just to get other views, I tried to read the Quran in Arabic and that didn’t go well

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is from Bob Labriola on the subject of HC's calling O or D calls during games:
    Add in Mike Tomlin, and that means 41 percent of NFL teams have head coaches who call either the offensive or defensive plays during games despite having salaried coordinators on the staff, so it's hardly a unique arrangement.
    I didn't think it was this high, so it doesn't seem to be something that is unusual throughout the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Not sure but I did read in the Pittsburgh post gazette that in the AFC championship game against NE. Tomlin was busy yelling at a ref and didn’t get the play in to the defense we blew the coverage on that play and game up a TD. Everyone on here wants to say “ya right”. I don’t have a way of finding the old article. I don’t pay for the post gazette even if I did I doubt you can get an article from 6 years ago

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I've had a long hard day at work today so it may explain that when I first read this thread title I thought it said Keith Richards.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I always thought He just did in specific situations like all Head coaches do, but lately I'm starting 2 wonder. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :shrug:

19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Brandon Staley calls his own defense as HC, I think Mike Zimmer did too :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not saying people don't, I just don't like it. He has way 2 much He needs 2 be paying attention 2. I know He didn't always do it, and We were better when He just did what Head coaches IMO should do.....Have Your eye on everything....of course step in on certain situations, but I can't see How You can be a true head coach, and do the rest. JMO. Also isn't Zimmers fired,and Staley didn't make the playoffs.
    I like Tomlin, but I believe He's spreading himself 2 thin,and it's showing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was agreeing with your :shrug:

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL... Didn't mean 2 involve You . Totally accidental. I shall fix it.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Some fans Tomlin doesn't do anything he just stands there, finds out he's calling the defense, he's doing too much :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah, but We both know that's not Me.
    A person can spread themselves 2 thin.

25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    :shrug:

:shrug::shrug: