1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett's hand size - Be Honest Now...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by burghfan58, Mar 8, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    .46 cubits

Doesn’t sound like anything to brag about

Can’t hold a football for crap

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    11,and about 13/16. Wow.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Believe what you want but college footballs are a little smaller than footballs used in the pros.

I watched Pickett perform poorly in bad weather. Whether it’s hand size or not, who knows. Whoever drafts him will find out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I just picked a random number, in centimeters of course lol.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Lol…9.75 inches for me. :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

ben fumbled 115 times. :cool:

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He should be able to grip a pro ball with that hand size.

I know guys with super large hands can throw it harder, and longer, so to speak... but Kyle Boller was a guy like that, and look how he turned out.

Accuracy and decision making are a big factor of success.

8. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I doubt he'll be able to be selected by us, anyhow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Not all of them. The specification gives a range and they "Can" be smaller in circumference but not necessarily. (I'd have to say that can account for the different inflation Psi depending on model) We'd have to check with Nike to see if theirs are on the smaller side, because that's what it looks like they were using at Pitt.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Over an 18 year career. Pickett has 26 after 52 games. He’d have close to 600 fumbles at that rate if trying to compare to Ben :lolol:

Everyone fumbles, thats just part of it. Being able to play in poor weather is pretty important too.

Being able to have a good grip on the football is reverent no matter how much people want to pretend it isn’t. Pointing that out doesn’t mean he will definitely fail in the pros because of it, might not be an issue at all. Burrows proved everyone wrong, Pickett will have to as well, with hands half inch smaller.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    ben has 247 starts and 249 games. he averaged 2.16 fumbles per game. pickett 2 per game. so ben had a higher percentage. hate to burst your bubble on this one.:cool:

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :rolleyes: Tongue and cheek was lost on you, I don’t really think Pickett would fumble 600 times.

These comparisons are dumb though, they aren’t apples to apples. In Bens case, he has been beat to hell, don’t have to worry about Pickett fumbling 115 times because he won’t sniff an 18 year career if he takes the pounding Ben did.

In Willis case, he runs a ton so the odds of fumbling goes up.

Both Ben and Willis can throw a football in poor weather. Willis showed the best at the Senior Bowl in the rain. I’ll be worried about tiny hands Pickett until he proves he can play in bad weather and that he isn’t a fumble machine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Meet Jack Kelly, Kenny Pickett's new agent

yg1pe69iwgv21.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

turnovers in the pros are killer. a running qb just gives more chance of them. add in the interceptions and it makes a difference. teams dared jackson to run last year because most times they knew they could knock the ball loose from him at some point, then they dared him to pass because he just wasn't accurate. it didn't matter how fast the ball got there or how far the ball went if it isn't getting to the right spot. it doesn't matter how many yards he runs for if he fumbles it before reaching the end zone. all these qb's have warts, decision making and accuracy should be at the top of the list of a pro qb. his ability to run out of the pocket should be a last resort thing. if willis had to one look and run at liberty, it will be even worse in the pro's. these guys are bigger and faster then anyone he faced. so many struggle once they get here. we have to make the right choice or we waste the best years of these other young players we currently have. nobody at this point knows the answer. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Troy Aikman couldn't throw a football for crap in rain.

As a QB, I have giant gorilla hands, I was able have a good grip on the ball and fling it for a country mile.
    That didn't translate to a football career. But it does help my guitar playing.

For Pickett, you have to keep both hands on the ball, like Bob Griese did.

Pittsburgh has bad weather, so yes, it is a concern.
    Willis scares me. I just don't see the skills hype, I was up close too.
    He's an athlete, no doubt. I just don't see QB.
    But there is Jalen Hurts in Philly, he might be the worst starting QB in the league (most definitely in the playoffs last year) so anything is possible.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What did you see, half of a game against North Carolina in bad weather? That's you sample size?

Seriously, you have been the one pushing Willis, who fumbled more and lost more than Pickett the last two seasons.

17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    6.5 for my hand size - if I did it right :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I looked for tape from another wet weather game and couldn’t find any. As fans we have far more limited resources than NFL teams do. We express our opinions based on the information we have available to us. What I could find was the UNC game and some throws in bad weather at the Senior Bowl practices where he looked like he had no control over the ball at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Poor Kenny. I'm sure he's a short king in some lower areas as well :lolol:

He will be an average QB. I hope we don't draft him or any other QB in the 1st. Howell will be available in the 2nd I believe.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    115 fumbles in 249 games equals 0.46 fumbles per game for Ben, not 2.16. Pretty sketchy math there Mac.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotta love whataboutisms arguments.

Can you guys stop obsessing over me and Willis for 5 seconds and comprehend what is being discussed here?

We are talking about whether Picketts hand size may be an issue in the pros. FFs stfu about Willis.

And yes Scribe, in the small sample size that is available for us, Pickett has shown poorly in inclement weather.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    :facepalm: you are correct. i was wrong. i guess my bubble was burst. :tomato::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Hey, you could play peewee football!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i was wrong blast. ben had .46 fumbles per game not 2.16. forgive my ignorance. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That sample size is far too small to be worthwhile. Howell, with his bigger hands, also struggled in that game. He did much of his damage with his legs.

It is not fair to say that is obsessing. It is absolutely relevant to compare Pickett to the other quarterbacks in this draft class. Why do the fumble totals matter for one quarterback but not the other?

Accuracy and decision-making are far more important skills in a quarterback than speed and hand size. If you want a demonstration of that, watch Joe Burrow.