1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny Pickett and Josh Dobbs have similar preseason stats

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Aug 22, 2022.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016

Look I might have to eat crow over Pickett and will gladly do it if it means we found a franchise QB. But the problem is we have some QBs and no o-line because of horrible drafts and asset management. Kendrick Green can't block anywhere on the line. Just because he looks like Pouncey doesn't mean he will be him. That one pick costed us Bens last year and potentially this year. I've been mad over the wasted pick on Rudolph when we had this stud in the highlights above.

Not to mention we have a huge issue brewing. Paid Mitch a lot of money to start. Pickett surprisingly looks like he can actually start. The issue is no o-line, we won't be able to run and get a balanced offense going. Mitch will do bad because of the o-line. We drafted a hometown favorite and everybody will be screaming for him to start wether Mitch does good or bad. Are they going to throw a rookie out behind this o-line and get him injured?? Steelers didn't pay Mitch 20 mill to hold a clip board. But will they cave to fan pressure and potentially get Pickett injured behind this o-line? This is a disaster scenario for fans and locker room.

This all could've be avoided if they just trusted Dobbs. Never needed Rudolph and didn't have to pay Mitch. Dobbs and Pickett have similar play styles and speed so the offense between the two would've been seamless.

2. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I actually agree with your last sentence. I watched Dobbs yesterday and he looked pretty damn good. For whatever reason, they never trusted him to be the back up over Mason.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Dobbs looked pretty good. He has a line and some skill players now to work with

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Dobbs has a good preseason game ..so what? you're saying the team should have went all in on Dobbs to be the future? what?!

5. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    No, I never said that. But I've always said Dobbs could've done whatever Rudolph gave us and more. Tomlin crying about wanting mobility when we had Dobbs.. He would've been the perfect bridge for Pickett or Willis. Steelers who are historically stingy with money paying 9 million for Mitch to play this year and now the fan favorite looks good enough to start. You can't see the disaster brewing? This is never an issue with Dobbs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If there was a pre-season hall of fame Josh Dobbs would be in it. 1st Ballot.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Just to clarify the boards thoughts

Dobbs has two really good preseason games. . So what

Pickett has two really good preseason games... He is better than Ben

HACK

• Hilarious x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Dobbs has never started an NFL game and never will, he is a career 3rd string QB. The only time he ever had extended playing time he absolutely stunk.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

... and after months of hiding he shows himself!!!... only to indirectly berate the 20th pick of the 2022 NFL Draft!!

Who didn't see that coming!!
    :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    How many regular season wins does Josh Dobbs have? Rudolph? :rolleyes:

11. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015

there is not one person who thinks pickett is better than Ben. Dobbs was selected in the 2017 draft, he should be looking decent in the pre season man. zero touchdowns in a real game. come on guy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Dobbs is a smart player. But what my eyes have told me in watching him in real games is the football processing speed isn’t there. And he lacks any real arm talent to make up for it (velocity, touch, or accuracy)

And he’s kinda mobile yeah…but there’s nothing in his game that says NFL starter in the least.

We’re paying our QB room peanuts in comparison to anyone with a top 10 QB. It’s both the blessing and curse of transition from an established QB. So from a contract standpoint it’s not terrible if Mitch is a backup. Overpaid back up, sure. But it’s insurance.

I don’t know how good or bad Picket will be or if he’ll be better than Ben. Either does anyone on this forum. And honesty no one in the Steelers organization knows at this point either. That said, what he has shown is all the things you hope a young QB has that can’t always be taught…or at least not taught easily or quickly. He’s got great touch, has shown really good anticipation and throwing guys open, stand in and delivers with the rush in his face, is way more accurate and has better ball placement than I expected, and better arm strength than I thought—the 25 out from left hast to right sideline against Seattle showed me he has the arm needed.

But, we’ll see how he progresses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    You need to look aroundv the board. There is literally a thread called
    PICKETT > BEN

HACK

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He's never been given a real chance. Come on guy. He looked good in his rookie preseason. Then thrown to fire in Oakland where Ben and the Steelers have historically been terrible. Then who knew scouting James Washington would result in two wasted picks. Got a pick for Bryant and Tomlin decided to blow up the QB room. Then he goes to the Jags who already have high picks invested in the position. He's never been given a real chance.

I think your analysis of Dobbs is fair. I've always felt like if he was given a real chance he could figure out the football speed of it. I mean if these dumb jocks can do it then a rocket scientist could. He showed his arm in the preseason game against the Panthers or in that Ravens regular season game pinned deep. There's a reason Ben always went to him and not Rudolph. It's always been the game speed which comes with reps which he's never really got. Steelers botched his whole development.

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    People need to give up on this idea that having Trubisky and Pickett on the same time is some kind of massive and unforeseen problem.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I like hot dogs with spicy mustard.

• Like Like x 2
  17. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of Josh Dobbs. The person. While he was here in Pittsburgh he spent a couple hours every Tuesday with special needs kids and didn't look for any publicity or recognition. Just a great person.

As a NFL QB, he's a great person. Good on him. That'll be way more important in the long run.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    lol the ol josh dobbs is a rocket scientist, he's gotta be a good QB argument. Steelers should cut the whole room and head to NASA and pick up some QBs. Dobbs wasn't given a chance because he is who he is at QB. You're going to bat for Josh Dobbs, now Browns backup to Jacoby Brisset, using a preseason game. gather yourself

19. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Pickett has played 2 pre season games, 2!!!!!!! that would be 2 for 2.
    what is Dobbs ? 2 for 20 ?

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I see someone climbed out from under their rock again

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dobbs....LoL....LoL...Let's hope they start Him against the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Browns would Rush for almost 300 yards and Dobbs would get the Win with 24 yards passing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I remember Dobbs replacing an injured Ben and playing so horribly that an injured Ben had to come off the bench against the Raiders for the potential game winning score (unfortunately the raiders put together their own game winning drive (I just corrected this, but man I really have to stop responding or posting from my phone without glasses. Stupid Siri auto-corrected Dobbs to Donna. LOL who the heck is Donna!)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    "I like turtles!"

25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    That reminds me… “2 turtles were taking a shower…”