1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny by the numbers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelHack, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont know why this is fascinating to Hack. 6 years, Mitch isn’t going to improve. Kenny is in his third game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It's this lovely thing called confirmation bias. People knowing that rookie QB's aren't usually that good and just using preconceived notions via scouting reports against him.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I guess the QB room is pissed at Tomlin feel they were treated unfairly and not given a fair shot. I’d say no Mitch and Mason you both just suck and have had ample examples of it. KP hasn’t been good but he’s only played 3 or 4 games and was drafted this year. TOMLIN is doing the right thing here we are not winning right now with any of these guys but the only one we could win with in the future is KP.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I would say the argument at least against Aikman was those Dallas teams were really bad in the late 80s the Steelers are supposedly loaded with weapons like Najee Pat F and the three great WRS.

5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Well, Pickett is being held back by a terrible coordinator and mediocre OLine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I don’t disagree and my above point was tongue in cheek to a degree. I don’t think Najee DJ or Claypool are anywhere near as good as people claim them to be.

7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    For sure. And to be fair, almost all QB's taken in the top 3 are going to teams that really have nothing around them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Hell Claypool claimed he was a top 3 WR in all the NFL! Talk about a guy who needs to be drug tested.

9. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Give Pickett the Oline Ben had and he’d shred teams apart.

10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    That's pure speculation. He's had time to throw the ball and still throws Ints. He's a rookie QB. He is going to make mistakes. We should see a progression as the season goes on. At some point we needed to make a change at QB. Mason was not the answer and he's the guy that should have been ready to step up to the starting role. The fact that the Steelers signed Trubs shows you that they didn't have any confidence in him at all. So back to the drawing board. Kenny is the guy they think will be their starter going forward. We'll see what happens the rest of this year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I have to agree with this. The problem isn't so much the blocking, it's the route trees of the receivers. Pickett's most precise throw of the season was to Muth down the seam this past Sunday. Pickett was 32-44 for 70%, so it's not like he's gawd awful. It was simply bad decisions down the stretch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    You know, I can make a spreadsheet say anything I want. It's easy.

So, here's the issue in the analysis.
    This NFL is not the NFL it was 5 years ago. We cannot compare Terry Bradshaw to Kenny Pickett, it is not the same game.
    Last year, Jalen Hurts didn't belong behind center, he was most definitely the worst QB in the playoffs and was eliminated because of that.
    He was a rookie.
    This year, although it makes me sick to my stomach to admit this, he has elevated his game, though nowhere near the hype he gets, but he can manage a good team.
    Key words = "Good Team"

Kenny does pass the eye test as he certainly appears to play at a higher level than Hurts did his rookie year.
    Worst case, you could say as good.

Pittsburgh hasn't had a lot of "great QB's" - since the 70's there is Bradshaw and Ben.
    Stewart makes me ill. He was excellent as the slash but cannot even hold the jocks of the aforementioned.
    Stewart was a groundbreaker in the QB era, as he did change mindsets for mobile QB's. (Vick, Cunningham, a few others come to mind)

Finding a franchise QB is not easy and if you gamble on a guy you have to do some preparations to give him the best chances to 'catch on.'
    Play solid defense - We are 50-50 there.
    Run the ball well - We are subpar
    Solid Special Teams plays (you want your guy to kick FG's and your punter keeping the other team deep) We are 50-50 there.

I might add Offensive Coordinator and QB coach are important too. You want to offense to work to the QB's strengths and the QB coach to be coaching in between plays and building this guy up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Look at his throws from the pocket vs when he’s on the move or throwing which moving backwards. That’s where his INTs come from. Look at the throw to Muth as he stood in the pocket. He needs to be in a different system. They have him in a Lamar Jackson type offense. That’s not him.

14. 34!

34! Member

May 12, 2021
    I think the kid is playing well. It's tough to be a rookie QB, even in this era. Some of his mistakes he'll learn from, and others you see every week across the league. The fact that he's playing as well as he is within the context of the team is impressive. When I watch him play I'm reminded of the good aspects of Tony Romo's game.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    He’s going to throw lots of completions when most throws are 3 yards downfield. His YPA is 6….. that’s awful. Although to be fair it’s probably a lot more about the high school playbook Canada is running than it’s Kenny being dump down Pickett.

16. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s made mistakes which is to be expected. He’s also done some things that makes me think that he can be a special quarterback. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 34!

34! Member

May 12, 2021
    The Steelers have a ton of weapons and that's a fact. But they're not utilized properly due to a very weak and predictable play-caller. Look at how great Najee *can* be, but we don't use his pass catching talents, we run him up the gut on first down constantly, we call too many jet sweeps, etc. We have talent WRs, but when the line holds up (it usually doesn't) we're not using their big play ability to threaten the field. Pat F is already a splendid TE, but we don't call his number enough. That's not factoring in our bad line, either. The Steelers have a great defense and nice weapons. But Pickett is still in a tough situation, regardless of any Aikman comparison.

18. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    You will never hear me argue about how bad Matt Canada is. How this guy was hired in the first place should be embarrassing for MT

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I keep coming back to this but Im not so sure this is Canadas doing, the play calling is but the design of this offense predates him.

I think this is the offense that Tomlin wants to run. Maybe he’s trying to recreate the NE offense but even they took shots down field as well as used the MOF. This offense can’t succeed as designed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    When KP goes 3 and out, it's a start and the hope is he gets better. When MT goes 3 and out, people feel that he is as good as he's going to get. One is hope, the other is history. Hence, the difference. However, this is a temporary phenomenon if this becomes on going/history for KP. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Exactly. Canada is just like a front man for the desires of those he works for. That is why he was/still is hired. Further cause to feel this way is the number of games this continues to happen and MTomlin stating he still has confidence in Canada. I assume the organization reviews each game in detail and would change things that needs to be changed. But they don't seem to. JMO>

22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    correct - confirmation bias, the way our minds are far too often wired. time will tell, we can all make predictions and then wait and see. But Tomlin and Canada suck and that will not help this kid be successful. that is not confirmation bias, that is fact - LOL!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    correct - it is blame Rooney first, then Tomlin (Rooney keeps the clown show in place....)

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. 34!

34! Member

May 12, 2021
    Tomlin hired Canada because he believes in him, and of course they're going to have a certain synergy in regards to philosophies. However, Canada is calling plays like he's secretly Pat Shurmur from last season. Tomlin isn't the one who decides that Pat F. is to be used so conservatively. Tomlin isn't the one who is calling jet sweeps, or spamming run plays on first down. I know that Tomlin has become polarizing, and the fact that Canada is our OC falls upon him, but the performance of Matt Canada is indefensible. He's just not a NFL caliber OC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Stats can be skewed.... but they can also tell the story.... you are what your record says you are .... even in your defense of him (which I agree with) you say you are excited by the "POSSIBILITIES"..... not the realities.

But again my reason for the original post was more to share the data.. and the data says no matter how you FEEL the reality is no matter the QB the offense performs almost exactly the same... which IMO goes back to OC

HACK