1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny by the numbers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelHack, Oct 24, 2022.

1. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This is by no means a bash Kennyb post. I have been pretty vocal on who I think is the problem dating back to last year. I do think however that Kenny has greatly contributed to 2 losses

He passes the eyeball test, but not much more than that so far

Kenny #s

NYJ 2 quarters
    5 drives
    2 TD
    3 INT

Buff 4 quarters
    11 drives
    0 TD
    1INT
    1FG
    2 missed FG
    3 turnover on downs
    4 3 and out

TB 2.5 quarters
    6 drives
    1 TD
    2 FG
    3 3 and out

MIA 4 quarters
    11 drives
    1TD
    1FG
    3 INT
    4 3 and out
    6 punts

Kenny totals
    12.5 quarters
    33 drives
    4 TD (12.3%)
    .......2 passing TD (6%)
    ........2 rushint TD (6%)
    6 FG ATTEMPS (18.1%)
    7 INT (21.2%)
    13 punts (39.4%)
    .......11 3 and out (33.3%)
    3 turnover on downs (9%)

This board was losing is mind because of Mitch going 3 and out

Mitch has 14 3 and out on 44 drives 31.8%

When Kordell gets mentioned as being the 3rd best QB in franchise history he gets blasted as being average at best... and he was.. but that doesn't change the fact that average still puts him#3

Now obviously is a small sample size and we all think Kenny will get better...(everyone thought Kordell would too) but let's compare

AVERAGE BUM KORDELL STEELERS rating is 72.3

The chosen one Kenny Pickett current rating 66.7

Forget career. Let's look at just year 1.... Kordell 75.2.. his lowest year in Pitt was 62.9

Again.. I'm really not bashing Kenny,.... the point of all this was really for my own thoughts. Juser thought some of you might be interested. Kenny is a bit of a mirage right now.... everyone is so excited...I needed to see it I'm being to critical of the rookie...I don't think so. I think he is getting to much hype for someone playing similiar to the guy that got benched.. but I also think the OC couldn't call a game of MADDEN

HACK

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    12 quarters, and his first full one vs the soon to be AFC Super Bowl representatives, i am not looking at any numbers.....yet.

Canada and Tomlin have done him no favors.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Thou shalt not speak ill of St Kenny.

I actually think Pickett will be a good NFL QB. But the desire of the locals to make excuses for his mistakes makes me laugh. If Mitch threw those last 2 pick, they’d be proof positive of the need to bench his sorry azz.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Vet vs rookie. It’s not complicated. And other than being a rookie, I don’t see excuses being made for those two picks, they were bad. But anyone harping on two tipped passes a Hail mary and Claypool eating turf are just looking for reasons to bash Pickett.

And I don’t think Mitch can handle the pressure of being a starter. He looked much better coming in for Pickett.

Some are meant to be backups, every team needs them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Kenny had hit his ceiling before he got drafted
    The organization can't function at all.
    The owners are happy with mediocrity.
    Wasted 1st rd pick
    Again

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Pickett is in a very bad situation with a HC who has very little X's and O's IQ and an OC who shouldn't even be involved in a collegiate program. He probably has his hands tied to where he's limited in any audible permissions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is a good way of putting it, and I see it the same way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Trubisky: 5 year vet
    Pickett: rookie

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This. I don’t care about eyeball tests anymore, dude needs to score lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I forgot to add one last line

78 of 128 for 797 yrds 3TD 2INT
    80.1 rating
    Yards / catch 10.1

Vs

87 of127 for 771 yrds 2TD 7INT
    66.7 rating
    Yards / catch 8.9

I'm fascinated by the fact that the stats are almost identical but the guy doing slightly better is the villain and gets booed of the field and the other gets his name chanted and every one likes what they see

HACK

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Say it again for the people in the back….

ROOKIE

Maybe if Mitch played loose like he did when he came off the bench he’d still have a job but if people can’t tell the difference between milquetoast Mitch and Pickett, I can’t help them. If all you want to do is wrap yourself up in numbers instead of watching the games, then you won’t see much difference. I also can’t take anyone serious that highlights 7 interceptions without context.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    If Pickett would not have been overdrafted, built up by coaching staff and fans as pro ready I could buy the rookie excuse... The next few games he starts will wipe that rookie moniker away. That being said he will get this contract to prove himself

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Scoring drives turned sour be penalties. O line acting like turnstiles. Running game getting 2 yards like it’s their job. Play calling even worse than all of them.

If you want to be super critical of the rookie, go ahead, make yourself happy. Perhaps a little more patience before writing him off. If he runs out of bounds or throws the ball deeper, we would all be anointing him the incarnation of #7

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't know why that is so hard to understand. I didn't even want to draft Him, but You can't compare Him to a 6 year vet, and unless He doesn't ever show progress You give Him time to grow,and build around Him

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Ints almost always have context

I'm less interested in the 7 then I am in the 3 of them

3;34 left in 4th Q with the lead against JETS. bad pass and decision
    Jets score go ahead and win off TO

3;06 going for go ahead against Miami...horrible decision to DJ

2ND chance to come from behind
    25 seconds with 25 yards to go and another bad pass and bad decision

You say you think Mitch was playing to tight or he might still be starting. Why is that not a rookie who gets frazzled when the game is on the line?

Again.. im not even bashing Kenny... he should start the rest of the way for better or for worse

I just don't understand the WE LOVE WHEN THE ROOKIE PLAYS AVERAGE and we hate when the prized Vet FA plays average

So what is it that you are seeing that can't be seen with #s... i see more punts and 1 or 2 drives a game.. but what about that gets you chanting his name? (Again i think it's a Canada issue not a Pickett issue)

HACK

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :sleepy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    For context Peyton Manning completed only 56% of his passes, and threw 28 INT's in his rookie season with a 71 rating. Josh Allen Completed 52% of his passes, and threw 12 INTS in 11 games with a 67 rating. Both guys ended up being pretty good. They weren't the same player in year 6

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

Yes I agree... there is a chance he becomes the best QB to ever play the game.. there is a better chance he becomes Kordell Stewart (who I like by the way...I mean no disrespect by that title)

People think I'm going after him, I'm really not..I had no interest in him and he has already proved me wrong...10 time better then I expected....I just posted the numbers.... you don't have to like them but they are what they are.... the reason zi looked them up is the same thing I have been asking here.... because I was feeling it too

Why do people feel so much better about Kenny going 3 and out than they do when Trubisky goes 3 and out?

I'm honestly trying to figure it out...

It really is a FEEL... it FEELS better watching him produce the same results.

HACK

19. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    We keep comparing KP to Mitch, but go back and compare how KP plays to how Ben played his rookie year. Now, Ben was 21, KP is 24. Ben only played QB for a few years at that point, KP has played for several years in a "pro-style offense". KP's throws look way closer to Mason's than they do to Ben's early in his career, at least to me. KP is already 24. Lamar Jackson and Joe Burrow are 25. I just don't understand the logic to all of this excitement. I don't see what is so exciting. He is a boring QB who throws short passes and checkdowns.

20. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Picket will have the chance to correct himself. If he doesn't they will be selecting high enough to take another QB

Honestly it's hard to determine as Canada's rudimentary system makes everyone look bad. Hell even Pickens gets lost n he would be blowing up w real system n OC

This organization needs to.open some windows n let in fresh air n ideas from qualified candidates, whether they are from the area OR NOT......

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I can predict that our opening drive will be run-run-pass-punt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I feel like a damn robot anymore. Look at stats of HOF QB's. The bulk of them were terrible their first two seasons and really didn't catch on until their third or fourth season. A guy like Kurt Warner needed Arena Football to transform his game.

I guess Peyton Manning's 28 INT's his rookie year weren't rookie mistakes and the Packers should've given up on third year QB Brett Favre after throwing 23 INT's and traded up to get Heath Shuler.

Let's draft a QB in the top 5 EVERY draft and hope one is ok because we can judge them after three games. This board would've given up on Troy Aikman in 1989 after a 1-15 record and a ton of INT's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    3 games.

Also I don't care how he does his first season. Mahomes, Brady, rodgers were all benched their first season. Brady first season he played as the teams starter, was meh for like 4-6 games.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Hell apparently this board would have lost it if they saw Terry Bradshaw at the start

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

Who says he got frazzled? I see a guy who led his team down the field and put them in position to win the game and made a rookie mistake. He should have kept running instead of making an off balance throw on the run.

Here’s why Im excited for the possibilities that Kenny could bring. This is a big time throw and hes made several of these. He’s way more accurate than Mitch is with much better touch. Have to watch film, stats are easily skewered.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1