1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Just start pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 18, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not pro or con Mitch but I certainly have not been impressed. Stan and Charlie, two excellent analysts on the radio, are suggesting that Mitch just goes with the first and lowest route on the tree. But they also pointed out Kenny probably won’t do any better because of what Canada calls. No middle of the field. Little deep stuff. Just throw it short so the receiver catches it and runs out of bounds.

They were beating Mitch up. They really beat Canada up. And everything they said was correct.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are supposed to move your weight to your front foot when passing. Mitch throws off his back foot or worse yet he looks like a ballerina on tippy toes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We would never do that

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Look ... Mitch, said in his post game interview, that everyone, need to join in with the plan. So, now we are finding out ... that his offensive teammates ... doesn't even buy in with game plan or him. Mitch, has bought into the Tomlin philosophy. Its a young team. They have to grow and learn one another. During the season?? Wow ... just put Pickett in ... you can't get any worse.

• Like Like x 2
  5. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Personally, I've tried to take the 'atic out of fanatic when assessing Trubs and do so as logically as possible. Having so many moving parts with an offense it's sometimes hard to see where the fault lies.

Offensive line

An obvious question mark to start the season, I believe the line has held up well with regards to pass pro. Or at least enough to get the ball out. They are, however, not helping Trubs out with the run game.

Open receivers

Is Trubs having difficulty because the receivers aren't getting separation? Maybe at times but as was pointed out by Arthur Moats' breakdown video and several posters during today's game, there are guys open. Trubs is either not seeing them or afraid to pull the trigger. Both are big issues that I believe Pickett is better at.

Play calling

This is the one that's the hardest to quantify. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what plays would have worked better than others against certain defenses. We're fans that are worked up, of course if a play doesn't work we're screaming at the O.C. It's a little hard to judge the work he's doing since the run game is nearly obsolete. I don't know if it's Canada's route tree or Trubs unwillingness to throw deep or up the seam.

In closing, I think the one thing we can all agree on is that Trubs is not going through his progressions well and there are plays being left on the field because of it. Add in the fact his lack of confidence to make certain throws and that's why I feel Kenny Pickett should be starting.

The reality is that I don't know sh!t and I wasted time I'll never get back typing this and your time reading it. Good day all!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    There are a lot of people on this board that blamed Ben for his inability too throw the ball downfield anymore.... Well it seems that's the Canada plan, same offense same weak play calling and same bull s*** comments from the cliche king. Looks like the excuses for the need for a more mobile qb is not the issue!! FMCI !!!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    How about Miami or the Preseason?

That wasn’t enough time to get it?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers Offense doesn’t need to do anything great.

Just control the ball for long timed drives.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I don’t want to sound overly negative, but I think the Steelers will finish with a top-10 pick this year. This puts them in a position to potentially draft a QB again. But they can’t draft a QB if they don’t know what they already have.

They need to start Pickett to assess where he’s at. If he looks decent then they can consider other options like OL or DL. If he stinks then take another QB.

10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And, how come, most of his passes are always contested ones?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Wish we could dump him today

12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    You know big Ben is sitting there dating Canada needs to go kick rocks every play he calls

13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    This is why I want to see pickett. If today he was in, all we needed is just an edge better than mitch to secure those throws on the lead, don't go running with 10 seconds, etc etc. .... if any of that was avoided, we would have probably won.

PS. Even though I'm not a Canada fan at all. I think he needs to go. But today we were close to winning. As well last week just needed a QB to help our defense.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    That's how I feel. Today would have won if we were that way. And last week probably would have not lead to the defense not getting TJ hurt. (I hate to sound like that. But I think that's true)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sadly, I do not believe starting Kenny Pickett is going to solve much of anything at present. Mind you I was turned into a believer of his ability during the Preseason and believe he can be something oh so much more. That said, I do question Matt Canada's play calling and reluctance to attack the MOF; a major if not massive strength of Kenny Pickett's. If anything, I would expect Kenny Pickett to see the field by Week 5 at the earliest should Mitch's conservative approach not only continue but yield negative results. Even then though, Kenny can only do so much with an Offensive Coordinator who seemingly has little to no desire to not only play to his QB's strengths but also play to the strengths of his weapons.

Side Note: The Offensive Line still has major work to do but looking at both this New England game along with the All 22 Cincy game, Trubisky is placing his booked tackles in unwinnable situations more than he should.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Problem is two fold; Mitch does not trust his eyes while playing too conservative and Matt Canada fails to place anyone not named Diontae Johnson, Patt Freiermuth and Najee Harris into winnable situations. Yes I said only those three... for that includes Chase Claypool and George Pickens. Neither are being used correctly to their ability; at all what so ever in Pickens case.

• Like Like x 1
  17. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Let me play Devils Advocate with some what ifs:
    What if the Steelers wait until they're 1-5/1-6 and Pickett comes in and is everything we hoped he would be? He starts to gel with the offense and they start to string some wins together. Then the fans are left wondering why did we throw away all those games when we could have given him a shot earlier?
    Pickett was the choice in the draft because as a 4 year starter and the most pro ready. I simply don't see the logic in sitting him as you march out a guy you have little faith in. I don't see him learning anything from watching Trubs other than what not to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    This is what drives me nuts about Trubisky. Even when there’s no pressure the guy is throwing off his back foot. He never steps into throws. It’s bizarre that he isn’t able to correct it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Exactly how the announcer said at the end.... do you waste your defense continuing with mitch?

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh believe me... I understand your logic as well. Heck, I was under the impression that, even with an adequate Preseason, Pickett would be the starter by Week 10. However, seeing what I am now?! As I said, Week 5 at the earliest for me good sir.

Even so, Matt Canada is still a major problem. No matter who the QB is, Canada has to get more aggressive in taking shots over the deep MOF. For that matter, Canada needs to unleash Pickens, Claypool and Johnson more in that area as opposed to Freiermuth all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    So you agree or don't? You disliked it.....

22. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Agree wholeheartedly

23. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I think we should see what pickett has to offer week 4. Unless mitch puts together a lot of long great drives that result in TD

• Like Like x 1
  24. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You might want to pay more attention. The OL wasn’t the problem today. For the record they weren’t the problem last week either. They’re improving every week. They’re largely keeping trubisky clean with plenty of time to work through his progressions.

• Winner Winner x 2
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Knowing what not do is pretty freaking important.

• Winner Winner x 1