1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Mixon - Just another criminal Bungle.

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Feb 2, 2023.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Wait. Wrestling's not real? LOL.

My son and I watched it a couple months back and we kept waiting and waiting and waiting for anything to happen. It was all a giant soap opera with characters passing around the microphone telling everyone how tough they were. Finally when they did start the action it was so far beyond fake that I had to turn it off.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Big John Studd whose real name was John Minton grew up in Butler,Pa. He was on the Butler High basketball team but got limited playing time because of his lack of mobility. Back when dunking was not allowed Big John dunked the ball during warmups and was hit with a technical foul before the game even started. Butler went on to win the game and the coach gave Big John credit for the win because he got his team and the crowd fired up with his thunderous dunk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    For awhile, Big John Studd and Blackjack Mulligan were big rivals in MACW. I first suspected that wrestling may not be real, and their hatred for each other was not what they made it out to be, when I heard that they’d been spotted at Long John Silvers eating together before their grudge match at our local high school one night, lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Latest update from the Joe Mixon Nerf gun war saga.

News conference from the prosecutor today. Several police were at Mixons house today collecting more evidence. Joe was at home and armed with a gun but will not be charged. Neighborhood cameras caught all this on video. His sister and her boyfriend however are facing 20 years and 4 years respectively. Boyfriend shot 11 times at 16 year old boy hitting him once in the foot. Kid reported hearing bullets whizzing by his head. Mixon's sister was disposing of shell casings while Mixon's trainer called 911 to report incident some time later. Sister and Boyfriend left residency and were pulled over with weapon in the trunk. Mixon left a bit later. Sister and Boyfriend are currently being sought but not apprehended so far. All guns were legally owned by Mixon

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bruno Sanmartino for me

I had a friend who met a girl and asked her for a date when he knocked on the door her dad answered

It was was Bruno and scared the crap out of my friend

I also worked in the mill with Jumping Johnny Defazio

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I found out he was from Butler at Lernerville Speedway. The name Jim Minton came up in a discussion with some other fans I was sitting around. He was a one-time car owner and driver back in the day. One guy made a comment that he was related to Big John Studd. I said, oh, okay. Sure. So, I looked it up on my phone and I'll be damned, real name, John William Minton from Butler, Pa. Died of Lymphoma in 1995. Buried in Saxonburg, PA.

7. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I followed wrestling off and on up until the end of the "attitude era" of WWF. I watched it more for the humor than anything else. After McMahon conquered WCW and when Austin and Mick Foley's careers were winding down, much of the stuff that made me laugh disappeared. Some of the newer guys didn't seem to have the charisma with a mic that the older guys did. There are a couple of good documentary shows on Vice TV about old-time wrestlers. "Beyond the Mat" does hour long profiles of classic wrestlers, eras, promotions and controversial angles. They have a new one called "Beyond the Territories" about when individual territories were the norm for pro wrestling until Vince gobbled everything up. By the way, if you haven't seen the "30 for 30" on ESPN about Ric Flair, it's a must watch. It's amazing that he is still alive the way he lived his life.

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've watched some of the Dark side of the ring documentarys....I believe those were also on Vice channel.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    That reminds me of an actor(can't remember who it was) when he was in high school he went to pick up his prom date and John Vernon who played Dean Wormer in "Animal House" and Fletcher in "Josie Wales" came to the door and met him with an icy stare. The guy said he almost crapped his pants and his first thought was to just take off an run to his car in panic. But he didn't he took Vernon's daughter to the prom and was a perfect gentleman.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Do you remember “Ringside Rosy”

11. Hanratty#5

Apr 20, 2019
    Absolutely. I don't think her ringside antics were fake, I think she really thought that the wrestling was real and on the level. Do you remember the Pie Trainor commercials "Who can Ameri-can!"?

12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    At that time wrestling was real

But there were very few people in the stands then

They made them all sit together up close and everything behind them was dark

I also saw a special on Bruno where during his career he missed 3 flight that eventually crashed

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    wow, memories. The first year they allowed dunks in HS BB in PA (I believe 1977), a kid on our team dunked it, the ref frantically waved it off and called a technical, until the crowd and scorer set his straight, lol.

14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I won't comment on the 'real'..especially on the studio version. I just remember Gearge "The Animal" Steel pulling something out of his trunks, hitting Dom Dinucci, then hiding it while Ringside Rosie distracted the ref. Bill Cardille then saying the Animal was hungry as George started chewing on the leather covering the corner posts. LMAO

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok on the real part

On Saturday afternoon wrestling they still had to go to work on Monday so a lot was staged but they were true wrestlers and not just showmen

But when they got to a championship match I do believe that was real

16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Now back to our regular unscheduled program.

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That was the mystic of it all, when I read about Steel I had to go back and check him out. I had read about him in the past, but was surprised how much he accomplished.

18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Do we need to create a “wrestling talk” sub forum?

• Like Like x 1
  19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012