1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

James Conner Update

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure what I'd do if I'm Tomlin. If he seems like he is able to play, do you hold him out an extra week seeing as he came back too soon last game or play him knowing another loss basically ends your season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'd hold him out. I understand that you gotta win, but if you can't beat them, even without Conner, you're done anyway.

You need him healthy for Cleveland.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I guess it all boils down tolerance for pain. Does he want to potentially make the injury worse or hurt the team by fumbling the ball? Conner probably won't be healthy for the remainder of the year. Conner and Samuels are better suited for back up roles. I don't think Edmunds will be back next year. The Steelers need to address the position in the off season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I believe you play to win and whoever needs to get a helmet each Sunday to make that happen should get one. Don't follow holding him out if he can play. If we go down against Cinci then we can shut him down for the rest of the year as it really won't make a difference as there will be no post season. Then find a RB that can stay healthy.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As much as it pains me to say this, we will have to have
    another Rb selected or thru FA next year. JC just cannot stay healthy.
    And with the shoulder injury for a RB can be devastating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This season has shown they can't trust Conner. He is far too brittle. Samuels has also shown that he is not a long-term answer. The Steelers are going to have to add another back for next season.

For this season, if Conner can go, he has to play. I don't buy the argument that they don't deserve to go to the playoffs if they can't beat the Bengals without him. The offensive situation is desperate. There is a good chance they will be without Smith-Schuster and Johnson, so they have next to nothing at receiver. (Colbert screwed that one up royally when he passed on Gordon.) We've seen what happens when you leave Rudolph out there trying to get it done with the second string. Even the Bengals can take advantage of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If Conner can go, he should go. Im not sure saving him for a week is wise judging by how poor our run game has been. Snell should be back so platooning Samuels, Snell and Conner should keep Conner fresh assuming Conner can play through the pain. Its hard to tell if this is a pain management thing or a real risk of re-injury thing.

9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd rest Conner. If an extra week can help him, why wouldn't you do it? The team has to think long term with their asset. He does no good if he's on the sidelines in sweats. And assuming they do by some miracle make the playoffs, wouldn't you want your starting RB to be healthy?
    I realize this game is pretty much a must win. But they also need to find a way to do it without him. The Bengals are winless for a reason. They're a really bad team. Hopefully the Steelers backups can get it done.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They said his shoulder is not any worse than it was after last weeks game, so it isnt any better, so playing him is not prudent, 3 plays and he's back in the tent is stupidity.....

11. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    When hes not fumbling, hes hurt. Such a sad state of affairs for the offense unfortunately.

12. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    UPDATE: we can't ever rely on Conner. He's just not sturdy enough

13. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sit him and let Samuels run the Wildcat

14. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'd sit him... Especially if we get Snell back. He said the pain in his shoulder was sometimes excruciating. Hard not to play tentative with that in the back of your mind.

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Bennie Snell football is back this week

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You need another running back on the field for the Wildcat. Hopefully, Snell can play if Conner can't.