1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It wasn't supposed to end this way....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Dec 27, 2018.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I know that many of us have written off the Steelers' chances of making the playoffs before week 17 even begins, and even IF the Steelers were to make the playoffs think they'd be one and done or whatever. For me, I can't imagine the season just ends like it did in week 16 without a final time getting sucked back in only to be kicked in the figurative crotch at the end.... with curtain calls by all the major players that have made the season so.... 'interesting'

I imagine, instead, something a bit more dramatic. Something like.... The Browns are down by 22 or so in the 3rd quarter while the Steelers are ahead 24-0 coming out of halftime. Unfortunately, the Steelers are only scoring 6 at a time because Tomlin, frustrated that his fake punt didn't work in week 16, insists on running fakes on every extra point from the 15 yard line, instead of lining up to just go for 2. Miraculously, Baker Mayfield is leading a comeback on the other screen. Midway through the 4th, the Browns are only down 9. But just when it looked like the Bengals were gone, an inexplicable defensive pass interference is called on Joe Haden in the end zone putting the ball at the Pittsburgh 1. However, the officials get together to discuss after one of them realizes Pittsburgh was on OFFENSE at the time, and after a New York review, the play stands as called. Rather than make the Bengals run a play from the 1, they just give them the score and the extra point in the name of player safety despite a steady torrent of boos from the home crowd (but later we're comforted with the notion that officiating is not what cost the Steelers the game). Pittsburgh's lead is now 24-7, but still comfortable especially with Driskle hurt and the Bengals out of QB's. Meanwhile, the Ravens home crowd has become exceedingly uncomfortable due not ONLY to hemorrhoids, but because Mayfield has led another scoring drive with under 2 minutes, cutting the Ravens lead to 2. PLUS, the Browns pull off the only successful onside kick attempt of the YEAR due to the new rule that penalizes the kicking team for even existing. At the same time, the Steelers have pulled out Roethlisberger just in case the Browns win to rest him up for the playoff game. But 2 3 and out's in a row and short punts lead to 2 punt return touchdowns narrowing the Steelers lead to 24-21 with just 5 minutes to play.

As the Dobbs-led Steelers prepare to take the field for a 3rd possession, suddenly the jumbotron is showing a live feed from the Browns/Ravens game. The Browns are lining up for a 51 yard field goal which would win the game, and it caroms off the inside of the left upright and THROUGH! The Browns have won and Heinz Field is going nuts! BUT we figure let's see if Dobbs can win us this game - after all, it's the Bengals we're playing and they don't have a QB. On 3rd and long with the clock already a factor, the Bengals send the house....BUT Dobbs gets off a wobbler caught in the clear by none other than....XAVIER GRIMBLE!!!!!! The Steelers can run the clock out....But wait! He sees a clear path to the end zone. There's no one to stop him! He makes a dramatic dive toward the goal line for effect, but as his helmet hits the pylon, the ball pops up in the air, recovered by the Bengals at the 1 with only 90 seconds remaining. The Jumbotron goes dark, RENEGADE begins to play.... the crowd is in full throat, and without a QB, only 10 Bengals take the field with no timeouts and needing a field goal to tie. Mixon is in the wildcat with an empty set. The Steelers only rush 2. Mixon fakes running and pump fakes, drawing Artie Burns in who wanted the glorious pick 6, and instead hits CJ Uzomah who's running uncontested. The TV crowd wonders where the 9 we dropped back are actually playing and finally sees them come into view as the goal line approaches, but they stop Uzomah at the 10 yard line. With no QB and only 45 seconds left, the Bengals feel the safest things to do is just take the field goal now, and they tie the game at 24. Knowing the rules have changed on kickoffs, the Steelers walk away as the ball heads toward the end zone, but it hits an acorn on the field and takes a dramatic hop to the right at the one yard line. With no Steelers to recover it, the Bengals only need to get to it before it crosses the goal line. They fail to do so, but when they recover, there is so much excitement, they are awarded the touchdown. While they go to New York to confirm the ruling (which they do -- but AGAIN, not the reason the Steelers lost the game apparently), Tomlin is seen gathering his troops on the sideline saying, "If they're gonna score, that's they way you want them to do it..... quick. Let's go." The Bengals MISS the extra point, leaving the Steelers a chance but only 36 seconds left.

NOW, it's FINALLY BIG BEN time. He takes the field and completes masterful strike after strike to AB who insanely gets 2 feet down time after time to move the ball down the field. With only 6 seconds left to go from the 2 yard line, the Steelers have no timeouts. From under center, Ben surprisingly calls his own number on a naked bootleg and dives to the corner with but a single second remaining. It's 30-30 with only the extra point remaining! The Steelers line up for the extra point, and Jordan Berry takes the snap and stands to pass once AGAIN, but the Steelers are called for a false start, backing them up 5 yards. Now, it's Boswell's time to finally shine. His kick heads towards the right upright. A kick that WOULD have been good from 33 yards instead hits the right upright bounces off the left upright, the crossbar, and lands in the endzone in the hands of Rosie Nix. Thinking he just scored a winning 2-point conversion, he goes to take a knee in celebration, but before he makes to his knee, he's pancaked by Sean Davis and multiple flags fly. The call is unnecessary roughness to be assessed on the kickoff. Once again the referees huddle as one of them points out the guilty party his hit own man. They go to New York and the call stands. With only one second, the Steelers don't want to risk a return for TD so they order Boswell to kick short. He gets WELL under it and it's fair caught at the Steelers 45. Using the fair catch kick rule, Randy Bullock trots on the field to attempt a 55 yard drop kick. Some statistic about how rare 55 yard drop kicks have been at Heinz field gets shown on the screen just as the kick goes through the uprights.

Yeah..... THAT'S more like what I expect this Sunday..... IT AIN'T OVER YET!!!!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It definitely isn’t over until it’s over. We still have a chance. Going to be an exciting Sunday afternoon. Can’t wait.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, but if the Bengals are smart, and go for it on 5th down, your whole scenario goes up in smoke.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I will be watching Sundays game with a cup on. I fully expect to get kicked in the nuts again.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Well Done.

And surprisingly, I would not be surprised.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think I made a prediction beginning of the year of 9-7, and my reasoning was Colbert did nothing to make the defense immediately better... so I guess it was meant to end this way.

Conner gave us some hope, but in the end the defense is what it is. And let’s face it... Ben took awhile to really rev up, his zip and accuracy is starting to fade. I really think next year is our last shot, we need to be more active in free agency and trades.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It is a shame it has to end this way, keep your fingers crossed Browns may beat Ravens.

8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm a avid reader of fiction books and I'm convinced the OP has a bright future if he chooses to pursue it.