1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Teryl Austin the Next DC??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 22, 2022.

1. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Funny how this really hasn't been talked about. Watching KC, Buffalo, Tampa teams play pass defense was largely laughable. I actually thought wow even our defense would have managed to pressure the QB and break up some of these 80yard 4th quarter passing drives for TD's. All KC or Buffalo had to do was disrupt the QB and break up a pass or two. Obviously these teams are pretty great at everything else but pass defense in today's NFL is a joke. If either team had a player half as good at Watt rushing the QB they would have easily won.

A functioning offense is probably the most important part of a "good enough" defense in today's NFL. If we could score like half the league scores we were SB contenders. Of course if my Aunt had a pecker she'd by my uncle but you get the point. Tomlin's schemes are flawed. In a silo his coaching philosophy might have merit. But in today's NFL you cannot expect to beat anyone half way decent when you can't run, can't stop the run, and can't score 30 points ....or in our case can't even score in the 1st half.

Our offense was so bad we did not score in the first half in 7 games. The majority of our points came when opponents went prevent and gave us yards to run out the clock. OR when Ben was given the freedom to open things up. The rushing yards largely came on junk carries at the end of each half. That offense was record books bad.

The defense had a SERIOUS run defense issue after injuries occurred and we were caught once again with zero depth. IMO zero depth means lazy coaching and personnel work. You cannot tell me we were unable to find a better back up ILB than Spillane. We clearly didn't do our homework on Schobert. Same can be said on the D-line. Once Alualu went down there was no one that could play. We also did not plan for the possibility Bush would be so bad. I guess you can excuse that mistake but at some point during training camp coaches had to think...crap we have a problem Houston! Our pass defense was actually pretty good and I think if we had better D-line and ILB play it would have shown up in the stats and in the win columns.

bottom line is Butler was made the scape goat for Tomlin's failures to manage the offense and personnel.... once again. Watt and Cam made a defense with no other talent respectable . Take Watt off the roster and we would have won 5 games at best.

• Like Like x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Maybe He should have more power at Drafting, and less at calling plays. I can see a coach like a chef.... wanting 2 pick what they cook with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

No, of course not ahem ahem and Colbert is retiring but will stick around in some capacity. He will also transition us over through the qb pick to get the team through this transition. Come be our new GM. :rolleyes::cool:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read, and hear :shrug:.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why because I believe He should have more power drafting????:shrug:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. Steelers113

Steelers113 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Tomlin obviously loves getting pressure to the qb, but it has definitely killed us in run defense. It’s not a coincidence that our dline has been putting up crazy sack numbers ever since Lebeau retired. Team needs more gap integrity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Don't you get free draft picks to hire black coaches to a coordinator or head coach? Do they have to be an outside hire?

EDIT:

Ok, I looked it up. This is basically it.

• A team that loses a minority assistant coach who becomes a head coach or loses a personnel executive who becomes a general manager will receive third-round compensatory picks in each of the next two drafts.

• A team that loses two minority staffers to head coach and general manager positions would receive three third-round picks.

So, if Hunt or Kahn would leave to become a GM's elsewhere, the Steelers would recieve two 3rd rd picks. If they both left it would be three 3rd rounders.

Something to keep in mind.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You sure twisted my point around on this one.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe he already does. What Art II stated was ballsy saying that Tomlin will not get anymore responsibility. Hopefully behind the scenes he expressed that a true Defensive Coordinator needs to be hired and Tomlin will longer be calling the Defense but play a part in all phases like a head coach should. We shall see.

• Like Like x 1
  11. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    I’m sure Cam, TJ and Minkah are thinking “we don’t care the color”, just get a real friggin coach in here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    What’s taking so long?

Is the next DC coaching this weekend?

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Why would they rush it? They might interview some more candidates.

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And then hire Austin anyway. It's just a dog and pony show at this point interviewing other candidates.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Fans can hate the internal hire, but Austin has been a DC twice and a secondary coach, so he is qualified.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    The problem is that no other team has been beating down his door. So they think he's done as a former DC. That doesn't bode well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Teams are willing to hire the Patriots assistants all the time, and they continue to fail :shrug:.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    True but those coaches were unproven. Austin has a record and teams are like yeah I'm not interested. Just food for thought. That horrible performance with the Bengals is what turns me off.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Until Tomlin delegates the DC job it doesn’t matter who they hire.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    They can block the Giants by promoting Austin to DC. Then you are blocking your DC for interviewing for a DC position.

I am still hoping for Kris Richard.

Losing Austin would not be the end of the world.

22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I think most of the issue this year was playing almost the entire season missing 2/3rds of the starting Dline.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Richard would be interesting, but is someone like him coming here when the head coach is still going to run the defense?

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is the main thing.
    Was He actually running the D???
    Will He stop running the D if He get a different DC?
    I guarantee anyone coming in for a DC job wants 2 know this.

25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012