1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Teryl Austin the Next DC??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 22, 2022.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I didn’t know this until I read it yesterday BUT the Rooney Rule has been expanded to Coordinators and they Must interview at least Two minorities from outside the Organization. That way “the pipeline” of Black Coaches increases to help fill more HC vacancies with Black Coaches.

They've also requested to interview Chris Richard…. DB coach of the Saints. That would fulfill the Requirement of the Rooney Rule.

Richard seems an Interesting guy, digging deeper into he is and his Resume.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Well so much for my excitement for Kris Richards then. I know where this is going.

3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Control Freak Tomlin...Has Won at least one playoff game in only FOUR of 15 seasons!

Boy is he great!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Vrabel wasn't impressed? More likely he is an egomaniac like Tomlin and wanted to call his own defense.

Titans defense dramatically improved when Lebeau was there. Don't forget the Titans suxed prior to 2015.

Right before Lebeau the defense was ranked 30th, by the time he left they were ranked 15th.

And they took it to the Stelers when they played.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Dick Lebeau defense got beat by Tim Tebow. Enough said. Yet that was the off-season they fired Arians.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    The whole team went out to Denver and laid an egg. Sorry dude, to pin that on Lebeau and all he has accomplished is highly short-sighted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Between Austin , Graham and Richard I would guess Austin has the inside track to being our new DC.

I prefer Graham but I’m not the one making the decisions…….

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  8. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    so is Tomlin a cheerleader just cheering for everybody or a control freak? Asking for a friend.

• Like Like x 3
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I myself am confused also. I don't know what 2 believe anymore :help:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's not my tweet, so no I didn't compare Tomlin to Belichick :facepalm: :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Graham and Richard aren't even serious candidates.

12. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    "Lebeau allowed 20 points to Tebow!!! Fire Lebeau!!!"

"Tomlin allowed 40 points to Bortles and Mayfield!!! He is a great coach!!!"

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm not arguing with you about the Tomlin firing but it's not in Rooney's repertoire.

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Ok what about the ****ty defensive play that followed the years after that loss before Lebeau's dismissal? His defenses were figured out and they were easy to carve up by decent QBs. But I guess that's all the players fault too.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    when dick left here and went to the titans, he had one of the top defenses in the league again. especially against the pass. so that theory don't hold water.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...for-hc-mike-tomlin/ar-AAT8rGZ?ocid=uxbndlbing

:cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You left out the part about Ben having 6 turnovers in those two losses :shrug:.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

still doesn't mean tomlins defense had to give up touchdowns every time. hold those teams to a couple of FG's and we win those games. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    No. Any DC should be able to have a top defense with Cam Thomas, Antwan Blake, Sean Spence, Arthur Moats, Brice McCain, Jason Worilds as starters. I can't believe Lebeau's defense allowed 20 points in a playoff game. He was terrible.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Who called 126 passes in those 2 games? Ben calling his own plays?

Ben went 0-8 in playoff games in which he threw 40+ times. Too bad Mike "This time it will be different" Tomlin was committed to "doing what we do."

The Browns loss was definitely a result of Ben's play. Ben threw 1 INT vs. Jax. Can't put that on the QB or the sack on that awful play call and protection.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep, that’s a HOF QB.

To win, you need a QB who doesn’t throw much.

:facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Smoke and mirrors doesn't work. A true football player is man on man.
    Can you beat the man lined up across from you? It is really that simple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Austin will win the DC job as he’s the only one who will agree to give Tomlin control. It’s stupid and Tomlin sucks anyways as a DC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Question...I seen where the Vikings hired a front office guy from Cleveland to be their GM, and that now Cleveland will receive 2, 3rd round draft choices because the hire is a minority...

If........The Steelers were to hire the Saints guy for DC ( a minority ) would they receive 2, 3rd round compensatory picks...or is it just if someone hires YOUR guy?

And to to take it another step further...If someone hired Omar Kahn, We would get 2, 3rd round compensatory picks then right?

Thanks for any imput

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Reports are that Tomlin took over play calling at the end of LeBeau tenure. If LeBeau let him, than anyone will.

And from what talk shows and players are saying, its pretty common so us fans are making a bigger deal out of it than it is. I still don’t think he should be, I think he should find a great defensive mind and let him run the defense, it’s not like Tomlin was a defensive guru just because he came from that side of the ball.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    I'd be interested to know more about Lebeau's last year and firing but I don't think I want to. If Tomlin/Colbert are responsible for the 2013 and 2014 rosters, and Tomlin took responsibility for the play calling then why was Lebeau forced to "resign"? That defense had way less talent on it than this past year's abomination.