1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Teryl Austin the Next DC??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Yeah but it seemed to happen all the time to the steelers. Look you can defend this guy all you want. I hope he does a great job. But to me this looks like a hire from within to continue to let Tomlin call the plays on D whenever he wishes to. Poor tackling, poor coverage, and lack of awareness of where to be on the D was evident. So good luck to this guy. We'll see how he does

• Like Like x 2
  2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    I mean everyone starts somewhere. Mostly everyone who was a hc, dc, or oc started out as a postion coach. So that shouldn't be discouraging. Zac Taylor went from the rams qb coach to the head coach of the Bengals and look at them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    With Taylor that's a chicken and egg argument. Are Burrow and Chase really good because of Taylor or is Taylor good because of Burrow and Chase? Very similar to Stefanski. Takes the Browns from 2 win seasons to playoffs in a year and then things fall apart. But agree have to start somewhere

• Like Like x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

How dare a HC decide to call the plays on defense :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

But according to @thorn058 Austin doesn't deserve any credit :shrug:

6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    once again you link other people's work and try to claim it as your original thought. and once again you side step the issue and try to blurr your original assertation that the 4 top secondary players were made better by Austin. I never said he didn't deserve credit and everytime you circle back to this point you never answer the question. What is the breakdown of turnovers? At least Korza did the homework for you it is a credit to the coaching staff and yes Austin. If you look at the numbers it is an impressive jump from 28th ranked to 2nd and while they following year they dropped by just two but still ranked 1st. I think the biggest take away that can be seen in Korza's work here is that with better caliber of players they were tied for 1st but the loss of Hilton and Nelson combined with the attempt to make Pierre a starter caused a noticeable drop. Lets revist this next season to see how the DB's position coach and the Austin as DC makes the numbers go up or down.

Thank you Alex Korza for doing the homework.

btw still never said Austin didn't deserve credit .

• Like Like x 2
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Kozora just backed up what I said from the beginning :shrug:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Is that the Lovie Smith 27th ranked defense your bragging abt :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And all those offensive HC who call plays are they all highly ranked?

10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Just saying with the 27th ranked defense , not sure i would want him calling plays:hmm::shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just my opinion, but I think Head coaches should be Head coaches not play callers on D, or the O. There is enough for them 2 be doing without adding all that 2 it. Again JMO

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That's certainly one way to look at.....

• Like Like x 2
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There was some talk about how Zimmer was done in by just letting his OC's run the offense while he would always concentrate on his defense and helping his DC. His defensive units were really good as long as the talent was young and plentiful but as FA and injuries took its toll that aspect of the Vikings began to suffer and since he was hands off with the offense and they struggled it led to his firing. It has to make you wonder what the discussions are between Offensive minded Head Coaches and their OC. Sean Payton would design his game plans on the fly based on what the defense did in response. You look at Lafleur, Shanahan, Taylor, and McVay these are guys developing systems for their teams and are involved in them so I'm assuming that they dynamic has been hashed out at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Last season almost half of the head coaches called their own plays, as long as teams keep hiring these young offensive minded coaches, they will probably continue to call their own plays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. :thumbs_up: Still doesn't mean I like it. :shrug:
    I've seen Andy Reid screw His team because He was 2 worried about play calls,and not what was actually going on ....on the field...like a Head coach should. Again even though that is an example it's still just my opinion.