1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Mason a better fit for OUR receivers and AFC North football?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Dec 24, 2023.

1. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I hope he’s at least better than Wallace, Plax, and Randle El. It would be a disaster if he doesn’t have a better career than those guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Dolphins hit frigging 70 this year. I hope they sat the starters in the 4th qtr.

On average of the 32 teams that play each week 7-8 score 30. I just checked first 9 weeks this season. High was 10 teams and low was only 2 teams got to 30+. I find it kind of funny since the NFL did all it could to assist the O. You'd think we'd have 20+ of the 32 teams hitting 30.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I'm not saying that Pickett throws a better deep ball than Mason, but how does a guy improve on that if he rarely ever tries?

• Like Like x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Not real well he doesn’t gss as ve great arm strength

He has to whip any long ball rvrn to the sidelines

And he throws if his back foot which creates floaters

There were times Ben would just plant his feet and throw a bullet snd you knew it was a competition before it left his hand

Picket does not have the physical ability to do that

Most quarterbacks don’t so let’s see if Picket can grow within his ability

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    I have an autographed plax football if anyone wants to bid on it

anything

anybody

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    maybe now in his 5th year, he has matured? Kenny has not, yet.

and winning is what matters, so play who is playing best at this point. MAYBE Mason is the future, WHO knows?

• Like Like x 1
  7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Mason just kept rolling and wasn’t piling up the 3-and-outs. As a fan I had confidence every time he entered the huddle. That’s not something I have had with the other two.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    What I found encouraging was the offense's ability to get guys open deep that often. The throw to Austin was pass interference. No doubt about that. Maybe Rudolph will take better advantage of those opportunities with a little more rust knocked off. Better yet, maybe the coaches will realize that's what their offense should have been doing all season and they will play that way whoever is taking the snaps next season instead of stifling their quarterback like they did to Pickett.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I had confidence last time they played the Bengals, too. If he can do it against the Seahawks, I will be intrigued. If he can do it against the Ravens and they have their starters out there the following week, then we may have something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    6th year right?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I would open up the bid with 2¢ but I'm afraid I would end up with the card.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think it's important to neither crown him a King or call him a fluke.

He earned the job .

Now it is up to him to show it wasn't a fluke

At thus point, Mason has had years in the league. We will know what he is at the end of the year and re-evaluate the QB room.

If he plays well, than him not Kenny Pickett should be deemed the starter.

We will see

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    No, It wasn't just three throws. On one third and long that he completed to Robinson, he faked a throw to Jaylen Warren going out in a slot drawing their defender in in and Robinson was able to slip behind the defender and he threw a great pass for a first down. I haven't seen that sort of stuff from Mitch or Pickett. On another pass from the end zone, he was looking towards the middle and dropped a dime to Warren on the side, right in stride who ran for a good gain because Mason didn't stare him down. The slant throw to Pickens had to be delivered at just the right time and right place for Pickens to take it to the house. Somehow Mitch or Pickett havent been able to make that 'easy' throw. On the long throw to Picken, is that Picken came open late and Rudolph had to heave that a long distance in the air. It is apparently one of the longest pass play through the air in quite some time. It's hard to be accurate on those late heave throws through the air, but the pass was thrown where it could be completed Pickett or Mitch would probably would have bailed or heaved out of bounds. That throw to Darnell Washington required touch to go over a jumping defender and not easy to make. This is where his 6 ft 5 height helps him. 6 ft 1 Trubisky or 6 ft 2 Pickett probably get batted down. The second TD throw to Pickett was such a beauty that you couldn't have handed him the ball any better. I haven't seen Rothlisbereger make such an accurate long throw let alone Trubisky or Pickett.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    One game doesn't define a career. Consistency is what defines careers.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh!!!
    My bad. I misunderstood You. Again I'm sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  16. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    It's interesting that Mason is being applauded for things he has improved on during his 6 years in the league, yet some are ready to run Pickett out of town in not even half the time. So, you're telling me a quarterback can keep improving each year?
    Some guys on here have waffled back and forth on Rudolph so much it's hard to tell what side of the fence they're on this week. Mason was worthless to many around here right up until he wasn't.

• Like Like x 3
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Just speaking for Myself. I'm not sure what KFP is...outside of He doesn't let crunch time get to Him. Which is a thing...I think He can get better, but having Trubisky as the elder statesman doesn't help Him any. He's picked up every bad habit Trubisky has...except the ints. You... I believe already know what I thought about Mason. I have said as of now he's best Qb on the team. I haven't kept that a secret from anyone . It was the whole reason I thought bringing in Trubisky was dumb.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    You, my friend, will never be accused of waffling on Mason Rudolph.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL.

20. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I will say this though, you were definitely not the only one who thought they should ride with Rudolph and not draft a QB the year they got Pickett. I was one of them and while I was rather quiet on here leading up to that draft because I was new, I kept tabs and there were plenty of dudes who felt the same way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed

• Like Like x 1
  22. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I will readily admit that I thought that Rudolph could never take this team to the promise land. That may still be true but I'm willing to play the "what if" game. I'm no trophy hunter and have no problem being wrong so what if over all this time, practice and mental preparation Rudolph really is a different quarterback?
    If he were to ball out and somehow get this team to the playoffs, that makes the outlook for next year very different. There's no law saying Pickett has to be the starter next year.
    So now that the cart is so far in front of the horses that it's completely out of sight, I'll reel it back in a little. I'll allow myself a modicum of hope that Rudolph can continue where he left off. If he is able to do that against the Seachickens, things will get even more interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  23. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Whether he can match that performance again, or not, I don’t know. Here’s what I did see… The man went through his progressions in a way we haven’t seen a quarterback do in two years.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Mason might just be a better Quarterback than Kenny. Does that make Mason an NFL starting caliber player? No. Because he has shown that he isn't and one game won't change that. However he could just be better than Pickett.

25. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm not sure that its just the coaching stifling Pickett, I think they also tried to play to Pickett's strengths and away from his deficiencies. Kenny has taken care of the ball for the majority of the season, but if you remember he had 4 picks in his first 4 games this season. 2 against the 49ers (one to Hufanga and one to Ward), 1 against the Browns (Delpit), 1 against the Texans (Steven Nelson). 3 of those 4 picks were on balls that were thrown between the numbers. I think they opened the offense up for him and he played horrible, so they tightened the clamps again and got a bit better play from him. He started the season lost. Missing throws over the middle and throwing picks over the middle. There is a real shot that the coaching staff just didn't throw to the middle of the field anymore because they thought Kenny sucked at it, essentially eliminating half the field thus making his reads easier and decision making better in the process.

• Agree Agree x 1