1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Layne going to be this years Bud?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Long time underachiever at the end of his contract becomes a big time starter? (Edit because he has 1 more left on his contract: Before this season started I thought this would be his last year contract or no contract, and I thought he signed a 3 year contract)

Just like when Bud had Butler take over coaching the LBs, Layne has seemed to blossom under new DB coach Grady Brown.

If you want to see what a starting NFL CB looks like, just check out Layne in the Detroit game. That was truly the best game I have ever seen Layne play. Granted the Lions were without their starting QB, but Layne was the best CB out there that night after Joe Hayden finished his series.

One preseason game to go to see if Layne can move up and take over that coveted #2 outside corner position.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Layne can’t tackle for crap against the run or open field. Sissy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Layne has improved since the end of the First Week in Training Camp. That said, next week will be his toughest test yet for his young career. If there was ever a moment for him to show some semblance that he can put it all together.... now is the time. James Pierre, to me, still remains the odds on favorite to win the job and rightfully so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Except it's not the last year of Layne's contract

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Kick-Ass that is even better!!!

I thought he signed a 3 year rookie deal, because he was selected after the second round.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    May want to revisit this in a couple weeks.

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    We fans seem to be clinging to the faint hope that one of Pierre or Layne works out and can play significant snaps. I still cannot fathom why they cut Nelson if they wanted to win in 2021 but what’s done is done I guess.

If these guys are on the field a lot hey are going to be seriously tested against Allen, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Lamar and Burrow among others. If somebody doesn’t step up or if Joe Haden misses significant time it could be a disaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think the reduced salary cap played a part in them releasing Nelson, Layne and Pierre are going to have to step up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Layne isn't in the last year of his contract, and he won't be a starting CB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It still not the last year.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Kinda blows up your whole Bud comparison?

13. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    It almost certainly was a salary cap move but there were other moves they could have made, it wasn’t obvious or in any way necessary to cut him.

A lot of teams they’ll be facing are 2-3 deep at receiver and they only have one Joe Haden. I really do hope it all works out for the secondary, they’ve made some brave choices.

14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    It is not the last year written on the paper, but if the paper is burned in two weeks, it's the effective last year of the contract.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We’ll yeah, but his whole point was kinda blown up.

16. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    got to say Layne looks more confident running around... arrow up

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Agreed. But I don't think they'd have
    You're right that there were other moves they could've made. The fact that they made this one implies they are confident in Layne and/or Pierre. Although we saw Pierre and Layne to a lesser extent last year on Sundays Tomlin and Cobert saw them every day in practice. They obviously had a pretty good idea that Pierre and/or Layne would be ready for a larger role. Otherwise they'd have made their cap moves in other, deeper, positions.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hoping for the last game of the season they put Layne on one side and Pierre on the other and just sit back and watch who the Panthers go after.
    Of course when they did this for Layne's rookie year in preseason he was quickly put back on shelf and never seen on the defense again.

I think Layne's development was really hampered last year by al the Covid restrictions.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Has been a disappointment, then the gun thing . Lets get a draft pick for him next year.
    We have other guys that are more hungry.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nelson had the biggest, expendable contract at the time, it's not like Nelson was some shutdown CB.

21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They had a lot of other options actually. Ebrons contract was almost exactly comparable, they didn’t have to bring back juju etc.

If Pierre, Layne or whoever they roll out instead of Nelson is continually getting picked on this year the move to cut Nelson is not going to look like a good one. We will see

Nelson was a solid #2, not a superstar, but a solid corner. That’s an important role, IMO

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Nelson's contract was bigger than Ebron's, if they released Ebron they wouldn't have a TE with starting experience.

23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Nelsons cap hit was bigger because of previous bonus money but they both had about $8m in salary due going in to 2021 iirc, which is the only thing that matters. Nelson still counts $6m in dead money. They did a void year extension with Ebron, they did the same with Juju as well, who is also getting paid $8m to play.

I agree they’d have to find another TE if they cut Ebron but it’s very debatable whether he is worth $8m a season with his drop issues and questionable blocking.

Getting caught up in small details at this stage. My point was they didn’t ‘need’ to cut Nelson. It was a choice that the team made, they could afford to bring him back even now. We will have to wait and see if it was a good choice. I’m a bit worried about the secondary and would be far more comfortable if he was still around.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He’s not paid to run around. Hell, you could probably do that. It would be nice if he could cover and he tackles like a wuss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nelson declined last year. He said he out played his contract and wanted to renegotiate. He pushed his ass out the door. He wasn’t just cut. And then the dumbass was dumb enough to say “they didn’t ask me to take a pay cut”.

• Agree Agree x 3