1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ingram

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Jul 19, 2021.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Only thing I didn't like really was his run D. I don't believe he could set the edge well. Of course he has more experience now. So:shrug:

2. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    A talented pass rush is neutralized when they're gassed. Far and away, the strength, and ultimate success of this defense, is the pass rush. Depth and rotation make this defense better.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    I think he was playing a step slow in his first season because he was adjusting/learning. Pass rush is easier because at its basic element, you pin your ears back and get to a spot. Run D is more nuanced. Shedding blocks and feeling leverage to anticipate running lanes at the professional level has got to be a big jump. You can't rely just on your talent. In college, you don't face the same level of opposition every week. I'm expecting him to play faster and more confidently this season. Maybe he's not Bud's every-down replacement, but then again, Bud wasn't Bud's every-down replacement for 4 years.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Highsmith came from a small school and didn't face a lot of tough competition. I am pleasantly surprised he had the kind of year he had. He is going to be a very good edge rusher I think. Ingram will provide some depth and a chance for TJ and Highsmith to get a break. THis was a good signing for not much risk. I'm good with this

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Among the people that will benefit from Ingram, Quincy Roche is by far and away the most impacted by the signing. I have no doubt that Highsmith can learn a thing or two from Ingram as their pass rushing styles are near identical. Roche though is essentially tailor made for Ingram's tutelage; a speed rusher that can add even more tools to the trade.

6. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Love the signing at the price. I was kind of bummed they cut Calvin Bundage, though. He was a beast on his highlights. Hopefully we bring him back. I would have kept Bundage over Marsh.

7. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Not looking to start an argument, but what are you basing this on? Kind of early to make this call don't you think.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    I don't see UGIII cracking the roster either ...Buddy Johnson probably was drafted as his replacement ...I think Ingram is gonna be sporting that #54 soon

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Couldn't disagree more ...2nd year, Highsmith is far more advanced in his career compared to where Bud Dupree was

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Steelers coaching staff clearly doesn't believe in Highsmith as a starter . You don't sign a guy like Ingram to sit on the bench.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm on the fence about this . I believe the We shall see is in order here.
    Now Younger, and Not coming off Injury Ingram...of course you'd be correct, but how everything is as now:shrug:

13. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Wrong. You sign a guy like Ingram for depth and rotation at a bargain price. When the offense wasn't holding up its end of the bargain late in the season and injuries piled up, our pass rush ceased to exist and we couldn't stop anyone. Ingram, when healthy, is a good LB. At 4 mil, he isn't being brought in to lock down the position for the next few years. He's here to help while Highsmith learns the position and shows his worth.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Anyone have the exact details on his contract yet?

Is it a straight forward 1 year deal with no voided years tacked on to spread the bonus money?

15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This simply isn't true, not when you consider where Ingram is in his career. He may get the opportunity to compete with Highsmith for the job for this season, but the Steelers badly needed a third viable option at outside linebacker and Ingram came cheap due to his injury history. That, and his ability to play on either side, make him a perfect fit as a third outside linebacker.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    A 32-year old coming off of a knee injury who was unsigned a few days before training camp doesn't get handed a starter role.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    ...unless Tomlin is jonesing for him, that is.

If Tomlin popped the champaign on this signing, Ingram might be playing both ways, OLB and center.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I honestly think not a one of us know.
    He could beat out Highsmith in camp, or he could not beat him out.

I believe He was brought in for depth, and a rotational Guy, but who knows.
    I know this ....If He stays Healthy... even in just rotation...He will get a lot of playing time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    If Ingram is healthy , he is a better and more intelligent player over highsmith no question . Highsmith didn’t do anything that warrants the fan love he gets . Reminds me of the pre season player or camp sweetheart that doesn’t end up making the team that Steelers fans seem to think are HOF caliber. Dude didn’t get 4 mil to sit behind Alex highsmith . He’s instantly an upgrade

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    Highsmith is the new Tuzar skipper . Canton bound in the minds of the fans .

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’re embarrassing yourself, it’s amusing, by all means, please continue.

You could be right about Ingram starting, I don’t think so but it’d possible, thats not the amusing part. It’s the complete lack of knowledge about how Highsmith performed. It’s obviously personal with you and not remotely based on football play.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Dude got 4 mil because his availability for an entire season is in question. Superstar, all-world talents like you think Ingram is, don't sign for 4 mil. :facepalm:

:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Steelers304

Aug 29, 2015
    what has highsmith accomplished so far? He left a lot to be desired . One fluke year at Charlotte doesn’t mean he’s going to be good . He made no meaningful impact on the defense . He’s a discount LJ fort at best

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not even being a wise guy but you know he started 5 games after Bud went down, right? I almost think we are talking about different people.

“In his rookie season, the third-rounder made a tackle on nearly 10 percent of his snaps (9.9 percent tackle rate). This was the second-highest rate among edge defenders last season (min. 400 snaps). While I don’t expect his rate to stay that high — with the departure of Bud Dupree, he’ll play a higher volume of snaps and have a more visible role that will command more attention — but I do expect big things to continue. The two main reasons for that: 1) In terms of his speed in the first 3 yards traveled, Highsmith ranked in the top 10 percent in 2020; and 2) his hips stayed facing the quarterback even after contact at a rate in the top 15 percent (this helps predict recovery and pursuit of pressure).

Highsmith’s rookie season produced two sacks, four quarterback hits, 16 hurries, six tackles, 22 pressures generated and an interception.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He also was 7th in pressure rate for edge defenders, one spot ahead of Chase Young.

• Like Like x 1