1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

In case you were wondering why there are so many dropped passes, problem solved

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Randy Fichtner has the answer:

Steelers offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner says there may be a simple explanation for all the dropped passes: a lack of practice time with starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

“I hate to use the idea that Ben in these shorter weeks hasn’t practiced … but they catch on jugs,” Fichtner said Thursday, via Brooke Pryor of ESPN. “But there’s something [to] getting more balls and the basic practice schedules where Ben can throw to those receivers.”

There ya go. I think the guy is an idiot but that's just me

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    So a professional receiver forgets how to catch a ball from a specific quarterback after not practicing with him for a couple of days? Right. Good to know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    We'll, the one good thing is no one will ever have to worry about other teams going after our staff.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This why the "veteran" day off on Wednesday for Ben makes little sense to me. Basically the team practices on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, with a walk-through on Saturday. By not practicing, Roethlisberger is missing 33% of the reps. I guess with being old, a repaired elbow, and possibly balky knees, rest is more important than repetitions. I can see the benefit more with a lineman, or players nursing minor injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It goes both ways as a ball will always look better - or worse - to us sitting on the couch but some of these catches are ones that the receivers have to catch.

6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sometimes when I don't practice with the wife for a few days I get confused about where I should place it..... oh wait no I don't because that will get me thrown out and possibly killed. Next

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    He should have explained why the other 31 teams are catching more balls in practice. Apparently we are the only team with practice issues.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    And yet one of Ben's best games to date this season was after a week he couldn't practice and was in quarantine. Its mind bottling.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This is what happens when you have noodle arm Rudolph as your back-up. I bet it's like playing catch with your sister. Problem could be easily solved if they actually put time into developing Dobbs and having a valuable back-up.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Dust her with flour. Aim for the wet spot.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    So is CountryStrong13 the only one catching passes from Ben in practice while the others are using the jugs machine? Ebron I can understand, the major knock on him coming out in the draft was his drop rate so that's expected (but not forgiven). I thought DJ18 had only average to below average hands from the onset so I never expected much from him tbh.
    Really RF's quote is just misdirection and taking blame off his players much like Ben does, and trying to contrive excuses for players that make a very lucrative living catching NFL passes.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Yeah yeah, that’s it seeeeee.....

upload_2020-12-11_19-32-16.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. TxSteelFan

TxSteelFan Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2018
    1WR Washington, 2WR JuJu, 3WR Chase; Dionte back-up CB to Nelson; Ebron, go run laps with Farmer Fran

15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Love to understand why so many think Dobbs is anything but what he is. Didn't we let him go and he couldn't make it with another team? Now he's back here and people still think he should be #2? What are the coaches on the other teams missing? What are the coaches on our team missing? What do people here know that no one else knows? Who here has been at every practice validating that Dobbs is the best back up we have? So many think MT is a HOF coach but he can't see that Dobbs should be our back up QB? Help me understand.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That's just SDOT being SDOT. :smiley1:

17. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    OL Randy is so amusing...

Are they not catching passes from Ben on Thursday and Friday?

Or does Ben just stand behind the jugs machine?

Or is there just a cardboard cutout of Ben behind the jugs machine?

Or are the receivers just thinking about jugs?

Inquiring minds want to know...

18. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Not that I have any proof but thinking about all of this, what comes to my mind is Ben and the condition of his elbow. Have seen him rubbing the elbow now and then and I am not sure he has the zip for the long ball that has been a part of our passing attack that is MIA. Now RF is somewhat admitting Ben isn't throwing as much as he should to our receivers in practice and I just wonder if that is because his arm is not 100% or they are rationing his throws to minimize something that is ailing him? Connecting these dots may be completely wrong but it would, is a way, explain a couple of things I've been wondering about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Not buying it. This isn't the first season Ben has been given a rest day during the week. He's usually been banged up throughout his career and given minimal practice time. Receivers didn't have a problem with Ben any other season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I've said this in a couple of threads. I believe his elbow is bothering him. And throwing 50 some times is not helping.

21. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    He went to Jacksonville who paid Foles a lot of money and had a young prospect they drafted themselves. He could be the next Mahomes and he was never seeing the field in that scenario.

22. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Overdone might have a different opinion, but I think a little extra practice might help.