1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If Rodgers came Here...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Feb 12, 2022.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    As dumb as it may sound if there was any truth to a Minkah vs Flores rift then he is the only piece of the team beyond Watt that would interest Green Bay and would be in the trade.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Rudolph seems like a good guy, but the fact is he kind of crapped the bed when he had a chance to shine. At one time I thought his ceiling may be Neil O’Donnell, but O’Donnell was a viable starter and, at this point, I think Rudolph is a career backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know Jack at no point in the last 7 years or more has anyone of the backups been setup to shine or showcase their ability. I mean Landry and Mason both had to learn to take snaps in a pro style offense when they basically played spread from shotgun exclusively in college. That's seems weird because it was basically what Ben has done the last 3 years he played and yet it wasn't when he was hurt. To me the whole situation has seemed like getting hand-me downs from your cousins who are 3 feet taller than you and 60 more pounds and then being told to go out and win the championship while your pants are falling or the shirt sleeves keep tangling up your arms.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree…I also have the sense that Ben didn’t invest much time showing Mason the ropes. He sort of acted like a petulant child when Rudolph was drafted and never seemed to have much of a relationship with him. I get it that you don’t want to help your competition too much, but Ben knew that MR was no threat. Not sure there’s been anyone on our staff capable of developing a young quarterback either.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Like Rodgers has acted with J. Love???
    People let this sink in. We are 24 th in Defense last year. Yes, Yes if the offense is on the field more, but that doesn't count all the times the Defense let a team score before the offense touched the ball, or 1st drive after halftime. Every Rodgers lover says if He had a great D.
    Well they were ranked 8th in T.O., and 9th in yards. They beat us badly in almost every category on Defense...yet still no SB....lost in 1st game in the playoffs same as us.
    I swear half of You just want Rodgers on the team so You can say ...Rodgers is on the team.
    If He couldn't do it with that D....what the Hell makes You think He could do it with our Oline, and D???
    What gets me is half the people that want Him complain about us being knocked out of the playoffs, and say just making it doesn't matter, but giving up draft picks ,and the Biggest Qb salary ever is going 2 take us 2 a SB with a guy that has only been to the SB.. once.... with a great organization like the Packers ...is going 2 take this depleted team...that will be more depleted if We trade,and pay 2 get Him???? I can't really see the logic. :shrug:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, that is what scares me. If I`m Green Bay management, the only thing that interests me is Watt. Watt IS our defense. Imagine an unhappy Rodgers spewing his selfish cancer here while we lose a bunch of games because we have horrible defense.

If we saw that trade, would we get more than Rodgers for the best defensive player in the NFL in the prime of his career? Remember, it is THEY trying to unload an unhappy player. Feel near sick and angry about this possibility. Could happen and I bet it would turn out to be our worst trade ever.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Seriously what are you people smoking who think the Steelers are gonna trade TJ Watt for Aaron Rodgers? The Steelers have never done business that way and I doubt they start now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The Steelers could not take the hit of trading Watt and Rodgers contract

The Packers are still 20mll to 30 mill over the cap. And they need prob 20 mill a year for Adams

They can't afford TJ or Minkah

But I'm sure they could back load and signing bonus. Void year etcv there way for a few years

HACK

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d agree with you, but a QB like Rodgers would paper over a lot of cracks and there are all sorts of cap tricks they can pull off if they decided to trade for him and go all in for say 2 years. Having him there would probably also make it much easier to attract free agents at a reasonable cost, guys who are looking for a ring.

It would be a long shot, the roster lacks depth like you say, they would need one of those magical seasons where everyone is healthy and rolling down the stretch to be true contenders.

Man would it be exciting if they could bring him to Pittsburgh though. The trade compensation is key, Green Bay will want a huge haul naturally, but you have to balance that against his age and the likelihood that he probably only has 2-3 years left.

10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Really they were having a good day passing until Sanders went down. The huge problem twas that fumble. TE standing there confused about who to block and left Mendenhall on an island against 2 defenders that made a play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Speaking of Time Travel.
    Netflix had this little Mock-documentary about the invention of time travel. Was an interesting take and I thought pretty well executed

• Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Cap actually is not the issue; explained by Steelers Depot here;

More of this stated here;

Like @Steel_Elvis, my issues do not reside with cost but rather what is being given up. What will be left once this hypothetical trade is complete?! The Packers clearly are not starving for many Defensive Backs though I would imagine Minkah Fitzpatrick is quite the appetizing choice for them. A secondary consisting of Stokes, Savage Jr and Fitz? Oh my.... Let us not forget that the Packers likely would want additional EDGE support here as well as "Smith & Smith" is not likely to be retained by them either. Who is to say Alex Highsmith would not be within those trade discussions. This is all not accounting for Draft capital either.

In short? I would not mind the idea of trading for Aaron Rodgers but what will be left of the team when it is all said and done? Not much as I see it. An answer that is disgusting as it is distasteful to some but for yours truly, I would rather play the "NFL Draft Lottery" to acquire the guy with the current corps of players the team possess.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    (I don't think the Steelers should trade for AR. This is purely for the discussion.)

I would think the Packers would want almost anything for their defense.

What is different between when they won the SB in 2010, and every year since then?
    In 2010, they had a top defense (2nd in points, 5th in yards).
    Since then, their defense has been at best around 10th in the league, down to the mid-20s.

When people ask why GB with Rodgers hasn't gone to the SB in 11 years, the QB isn't the biggest problem.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Well, I`ll be relieved when the AR bazaar is finished. Supposedly Rodgers has to make a decision soon.

Still wondering about that supposed deal package we have on the table. Did any Steeler management deny that report yet?

15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Being reported now that he is very likely staying in Green Bay which was always the most likely outcome

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m pretty certain that any acquisition of Rodgers would necessitate a new contract that will pay him over $40 million per year average. The 2022 cap hit could potentially be lower than $27 million because the signing bonus would be spread out over (probably) 5 years, but starting in 2023 the hit would be huge. If I felt like it would translate to a championship, I’d jump. I just don’t feel like we can acquire and integrate enough talent upgrades to put around him via free agency to win in 2022, and we’d probably be without a 1st round pick until 2024.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Even if Green Bay put him on the block, there’s no way I want that petulant child on the Steelers. Every year there’s some drama going on with this dude. It’s like he HAS to be front and center of the media. I for one can’t stand the guy. Everyone knows this is all a farce to get 1. A higher contract or 2. To make them suffer for drafting love.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes, this.
    Green Bay is behind the 8 ball here.
    They absolutely cannot have Rodgers on the roster with that cap figure.
    His trade value is far less than people realize.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This may be an overly optimistic take, but the Steelers go through this every year. Every offseason there are needs everywhere, and yet somehow the Steelers find a way to keep most of their own Free Agents and make additions. I fully trust that any contract Aaron Rodgers would sign with the Steelers, while lucrative, would also be cap friendly. It wouldn't make much sense to either party for it not to be.

I fully believe Haden will be back. I believe that Brian Flores might be just the kick in the ass that Devin Bush needs. The offensive line needs a lot of work, but I am willing to bet the Moore and Green will each show improvement coming into their sophomore seasons.

Again, it may be an overly optimistic take, but if Aaron Rodgers comes to Pittsburgh, there are going to be a lot of veteran guys willing to play here on team friendly deals. I am all for making this deal happen. If Rodgers comes to Pittsburgh the Steelers have a 2 year window where they very well could win a Super Bowl. Not the case with Rudolph, Haskins, Trubisky, etc.

20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Cant compare a 38 year old Rodgers to a 38 year old Ben. We all saw what Ben was the last season and a half. Rodgers is coming off an MVP year.

The Steelers are not stupid, neither is Aaron Rodgers. Any contract signed between the two parties will be cap friendly. Rodgers wants to win a Super Bowl. It doesn't make any sense for him to insist upon a contract that is structured in a way that prohibits that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    There is ZERO chance of Rodgers getting flat out released. Cap manipulation takes place in every NFL front office. If Rodgers decides to stay in GB both sides will restructure in a way that makes the numbers work.

22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Last Year 9th in total yards, ,and 8th if T.O.
    Sounds like a good defense 2 Me.:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This was my point overall. Money wouldn't be the issue. Talent would be.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    No Rodgers is not Stupid, but his quirk needing a 10 day cleanse does show a complete nut case to the world. He wants to be the highest paid player in the league. CAP friendly deal my butt. He wants guaranteed money...period. I've made this point in several different places. Highest paid QB cap hit to date to win a SB was Brady at 12.4% with TB. If the cap this year is 210 million that would equate to about a 25 million cap hit, Rodgers is not going to play for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Agreed, but what if he decides he wants to be a free agent? No I'm not going to restructure... you owe me 46 mill this year... you need to pay Adams 20 mill..... and you are 20 to 30 mill over the cap already.....I (RODGERS) is going to hold the Packers hostage ... they going to have to cut and restructure everyone else to get under the cap. Not be involved in any big FA moves. Then maybe I'll just retire when the preseason starts. Or. Ouch.. my back hurts.. guess it's 46mill to sit on IR this season and try FA next year

If Rodgers leaves. It's because he wants a chance at a ring. Why would he want to cripple his new team from being about to draft or sign FA talent?

The whole reason they reworked his deal last year was to make it easy for him to leave this year. Rodgers hold all the cards. It just depends on what he wants to do with them

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1