1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How much say will Ben have....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jul 7, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I agree, and disagree. Ben shouldn't have any leverage. But he always seems to. I do think he will have input.

I think Fichtner was a pretty convenient scapegoat for both Ben and the Org.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    That's the thing about opinions I guess.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If you can believe the steelers site and their weight listings, I believe Hassenauer is 20 pounds lighter than both Green and Finney. Not saying the extra weight automatically makes a player better, but it definitely comes into play. Buffalo will be a good test right off the bat, wicked D-line.

I'm not discounting Finney. Personally, I'd put him at the top (until we see some games). It sounds like he got caught behind the 8-ball with training/no training during the crazy covid year and never quite recovered. He'll come back in top shape I would imagine so as to not repeat that mistake.

BUT I think we both know that Green will be given the first shot probably just because of the recent draft investment and they really value that athleticism. With such a young line they'll want to establish continuity asap. I think it's Green's spot to lose.

• Like Like x 2
  4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    This might have been management's "come to Jesus" moment regarding Ben and his control. "Ben, we're happy to have you back if you still have the fire to compete. However, Mr. Fichnter is moving on with his life's work, and Matt Canada is your new offensive coordinator. You will answer to him." Any questions?" In other words, the Steelers still value Ben's input and experience, but making changes they have is the powers that be way of tacitly telling Ben that the 2021 season will not be business as usual as far as Ben calling the shots. I could be completely off base here but, it sort of is the way the Steelers handle things, privately and without fanfare. Canada's previous comments could simply be smoke and mirrors both to disguise what they want to do offensively and to massage Ben's ego. What the hell else do we have to talk about? :shrug:

• Like Like x 3
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    why shouldn't ben have some input, he's still the franchise quarterback until he isn't. we will go as he goes. now with that said, no ben won't have a say so as to who plays on the line. our coach mike tomlin i believe will make that decision, just like he made to put feiler at RG and downgrade that position and RT all at the same time. feiler was a good right tackle but MT has this thing about banner. he will also insist that okrafor is good enough at LT for this year. he really ties the position coaches hands doing this. just like he keeps butler around as a DC and then takes over his duties. wanna talk about a control freak. art2 let's it go on though. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m looking for the thread about some sports analyst who says Ben will be benched by the middle of the season.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You might be right about MT's controlling things but all I remember seeing when they show him on TV is him staring at the jumbotron, clapping, or having a 1000 yard stare to somewhere in outer space. Maybe he is a ventriloquist?

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben wanted no part of Haley but didn't get him fired. He helped not resign him.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That's the ESPN analyst who drafted butt fumble sachez doubling down on his assertion that Ben was done last year and doesn't want to walk back his wrongness

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Ben will have a say. Why wouldn't he? But his performance with the guy he's fondling will be the deciding factor...that and whoever Tomlin is jonesing for. I tend to think that Ben is going to petition for whomever 1) keeps him upright the best, 2) has the best ball placement, and 3) communicates the best with the rest of the line. Those things translate to better performance and production. And better performance and production give Ben the best chance for a successful farewell tour.

It doesn't really matter what Ben says or who he wants at center if the snaps aren't clean and the OL parts up the middle like the Red Sea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well when Finney started for the Steelers in the past he looked a lot better than Hassenaur.

12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hassernaur looked like a 3rd stringer...:facepalm:

Green can't beat him out we're in trouble with picking him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Not sure if this is the best thread to put this in, but this a stat makes me physically sickā€¦.

Which NFL offenses used play action the least on 1st down in 2020?

#32) Steelers* 8.9%
    #31) Raiders 13.2%
    #30) Saints 16.3%

*The Steelers have ranked last in five straight seasons, never exceeding 10% in a single-season.

• Informative Informative x 1