1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How much say will Ben have....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jul 7, 2021.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    In determining who the Starting Center will be?

I have this gut feeling, that Ben has a comfort level with Hassenaur. Does that give him any sort of edge?

Continuity between QB and Center is pretty important. Ben seems to get his way most of the time. I am thinking that if it's close Ben may be the deciding factor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Only way it is Hassenuer is if he gets his mean on during a preseason game and pancakes some poor undersized ILB otherwise I think Klemm likes Green's aggression from the start.

Also it has been my understanding that Ben has been working with Green since the draft so his comfort might be higher than we think.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That was also my understanding.
    I think Green gets it unless he definitely shows he not ready.
    Big reasons 2 watch Preseason this Year.

• Like Like x 2
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Center, you just had to mention center. Flashback to a long day waiting for the Playoff game to start. Center snaps the ball and my night is ruined.;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think pretty much zero. If Green isn’t the center by 4 weeks into the season I will be shocked.

It’s Bens last year, what leverage does he have. If the center was that important for him, he’d have retired with Pouncey.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Yea, I don't think they'd sacrifice ability over Ben's preference so I'd say he wouldn't have much of a say in it. If they pick someone he didn't prefer, then he'll have to turn the other cheek (hee hee hee)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Center was not how I thought this thread was going to go....

I don't think Ben has ever had a say on who his starting center is. I know that Tomlin had a real man-crush on Finney during his first stint with the Steelers.

Anyone have any experience with Canada's temper? If things start to go sideway and Ben starts changing all the plays Canada is sending in; will we see the 2 going at it on the sideline? Buffalo is going to be a great test to see if Ben will stick with Canada's offense.

8. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Well to answer your question, Ben has all the say since center and QB go hand in hand.

I've noticed Steelers fans acting like Green is going to waltz in and be a HoFer. He played 3 years at Illinois and like 4 games his whole college career at CENTER. Pouncey played center his whole life and probably a HoFer and cost us a playoff game. This kid who played 4 college games is going to come in as a rookie and start and be quality?? I'll be very surprised.

9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well we are the fan base who believed not having thier coach a couple of players or meaningful practice before their 1st playoff game in over 20 years would affect the Brown's play and also the fan base that believed other teams cared soooo much for thier painted grass that they would use it to motivate themselves to perform beyond the riches and glory normally associated with a win in the NFL. More locally we as a fan base on this board believed that every time you said you were done and boycotting the league that you'd back up all that talk and hold true to it and yet HERE we are. See I can make all caps words too.

So yeah I feel pretty good about what Green can do. Since at least the two others with experience couldn't out work an injured and declining Pouncey.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    SDOT just cemented Greens roll as a starter and entry to the HOF :herewego:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It wasn't just your night. Millions of us still feel that pain.:puking2::puking 3::puking 5::zombie:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Blast is super high on Green. In more than one way I think

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Green starts game 1

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You’ll see grasshopper ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben will have no say

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Hard to believe any of you think Ben will have no say. Ben wanted Haley fired. He was. Ben wanted Fichtner hired. He was. Ben wants to operate out of the shotgun. He does. I can not think of too many times over the years that Ben hasn't gotten his way.

Ben's level of comfort with these guys will play a huge factor in who gets the nod.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets hope none when it comes down to personal decisions.
    The position coach and OC/DC/HC should be making all these type of decisions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Haley took a lot of crap, but Ben was pretty good in his offense. He was with Bruce Arians as well, but he was getting killed, too. I don't necessarily blame Ben for wanted to get rid of the ball because he can't depend on his legs like he used to. However, he was the one that wanted to come back, so now maybe more than ever, he should be brainstorming with his coaches to best utilize what skills he still has that are sharp. Like, being able to read defenses and getting rid of the ball quickly. Plus, reinstalling some old favorites, like sticking with the run game and running play action.

• Like Like x 2
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben can be comfortable with Hassaneur all he wants, but he won't be the starting center, he's the least talented of the three players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with a lot of this , but this story about us just up and quitting play action has got out of hand. I know alot of people say it, but we have been in the bottom half in running play action in the last 10 years averaged.
    So it's not like we just stopped.
    Some of those years were some of our best offensive years.
    All I'm saying is we didn't just stop....we've been stopped. LoL.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben got Haley fired because he was threatening to retire, whats he going to do now?

Fichtner was replaced with Canada, why would they do that just to let Ben do whatever he wants, could have kept Fichtner to do that. Fichtner would have been retained for that matter if Ben has so much pull.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Pretty much what the rest of us think in reverse.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ben will be happy with whomever snaps the ball to him and doesn't make him have to chase it from left to right and high to low on any given play and doesn't let the pocket collapse on him up the middle. pouncey isn't going to the HOF for his pass blocking and snaps believe me. it's his run blocking skills. pouncey went as DD and foster went. they made him better then he would have been with any others on either side of him. as they declined so did pouncey as we saw. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Let the retirement tour begin...

25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Not so sure about that. I think the least talented is Finney. Finney has been cut twice since his last stint with the Steelers. I personally think he is the longest shot to start at center. He may even be a long shot to make the roster.

I do believe Green is more talented than Hassenaur. Hassenaur has more experience. I do not think he is as bad as people make him out to be. I think the center battle comes down to these two.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1