1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoge: Steelers still have a strong belief in Pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 1, 2024.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m thinking you might get sacked a lot

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i might!

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Hoge as HC :facepalm:

4. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I think that goes for a good number of people around here.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I normally feel if they are going to be great its there from the beginning like Stroud, it’s obvious.

But like Hoge said, these guys can be broken mentally long before physically and I think Pickett has been going through that being saddled with some of the worst coaching we’ve ever seen. Fans were ready to burn the city down over Canada and now they are like, who? We had a coach named Canada? Or are you talking about the country?

Guys like Bradshaw, Hoge and Warner still believe in him, that’s good enough for me.

6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This is what we are waiting for Pickett to do.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I’ve got a lot of confidence in Hoge’s ability to assess talent and I went back and listened to what he said. He didn’t exactly give Pickett a ringing endorsement and basically said that the Steelers weren’t ready to give up on him and still had a belief in him.

He was actually more complimentary of Mason saying that Kenny got an opportunity to see from Rudolph what quality quarterback play looked like. He was very complimentary of Kenny’s intangibles and leadership qualities. Finally he stated that this year will be huge for Kenny which we all already know.

I don’t think Hoge said anything I disagreed with, but he didn’t seem overwhelmingly convinced that Kenny was going to be able to be the guy. The Steelers are still hanging onto hope, as they should be at this point in Kenny’s career. 2024 is make or break time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s done film breakdown on him, too. He doesn’t work for the Steelers anymore, if he didn’t think Pickett could be the guy he’d say it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s not that far removed from the organization and the organization’s message at this point is that they still have confidence in Kenny but…this is a huge year and he’ll have competition. I’m sure there has to be some organizational concern about Kenny given his regression from year one to year two. Hopefully, he’ll turn it around in year three. Maybe Hoge is a true believer in Kenny, but I’m not sure, given the recency of his employment by the Steelers, that he was being totally candid in that interview. I thought he measured his words well.

10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    I don't want to have another season wasted by terrible QB play, so it would be too risky to put all our hopes on Kenny in 2024

The only way I could live with that is if the Steelers start a true rebuild but I don't think we can count on that.

Of course, not all of our offense's problems were on him since Matt Canada was all-time bad but my concern about Kenny since he was drafted is that his ceiling is way too low and also I think his confidence is very low at this point, so it would be a bad decision to put all our hopes on him in 2024....If it's Rudolph or Tannehill our other QB it's going to be another 9-8 or 10-7 season with some lucky break with that for the 7th seed or out of the playoffs and that's the last thing I want, to be stuck in the middle once again...I'd rather take a risk on Justin Fields at the right price and see what happens

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Dude he doesn’t work for them anymore, why would he have to watch what he says? This is why I was joking in an earlier post with you, it’s like you don’t believe in Pickett so no one else can. Hoge absolutely would have seized on that question Cowherd gave him. He would have been yes, they absolutely have to do something else besides Pickett, whether thats Wilson or someone else. You think Hoge minces words? Lol. He even spoke about Picketts intangibles, those were his words about charisma and leadership qualities, he wasn’t speaking for the Steelers. Even if you took Hoge out of the equation, I think Bradshaw and Warner know a little something about playing the position.

I’m sure the Steelers have a lot of concerns about Pickett. No one is saying he is a slam dunk to succeed this season.

12. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Dude, tell me why I SHOULD believe in Pickett. Aside from a couple of 4th quarter comebacks in which he sucked for 3 1/2 quarters, he’s done NOTHING as a professional quarterback. He threw 6 TD passes ALL SEASON. Ben threw that in a game once, maybe more. His TD to attempt rate is the LOWEST IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL for a QB with at least 500 passes.

Pickett had a good game against Cincy and you often cite that while at the same time you’re dang sure you bring up how pathetic the Bengals defense is when someone brings up Rudolph’s good game against them. I’m not anti-Kenny at all, in fact I was one of the biggest Pickett supporters on this board for a year and a half and defended his poor play by blaming most of it on Canada. But Kenny’s got some major issues going on and I hope he’s able to overcome those and be a decent QB. But I’ll admit it, I do have some serious doubts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I never said you have to believe in Pickett, it’s clear you don’t but you’re trying so hard to convince yourself people like Hoge doesnt when he clearly does. Thats all I was saying on that. Along with Bradshaw and Warner. Both pretty good QB’s themselves, they probably have an idea or two what it takes to succeed at this level.

Actually thats Scribe that points out how ****ty the Bengals defense is. I point out that you and others like to tout Rudolphs games against Cincy while ignoring Picketts game.

It’s not a couple 4th quarter comebacks, it’s 6. Thats pretty impressive. Had more comeback wins than any other QB last season. Kind of an important trait if you are looking for a franchise QB. Rudolph has ZERO.

I don’t think his problems are that major because the flaws in his game from last season havent been present prior to that. My two biggest concerns for him are, does he really have trouble reading defenses and will he stay healthy. I still contribute most of his struggles to coaching.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No....He was Johnny M. Wr in college.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Lol, I think he was referring to their college days at A&M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I haven’t ignored Pickett’s game against the Bengals. He played well but the fact is that the offense still only managed 16 points. I know, if and but but if ifs and buts were candy and nuts…Rudolph hung 30+ on the same defense.

And actually, Rudolph has 2 fourth quarter comebacks and 2 fourth quarter game winning drives including the one against the Rats this season. In the other games this season, he had the win secured and the game under control in the 4th quarter. That was kinda nice and not something we were used to seeing with Kenny.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    A player quitting on a play isnt a normal occurrence. Im sure ignoring that helps you believe your narrative.

Also Rudolph stepped in 4 weeks post Canada, you remember that guy right, the guy everyone wanted fired because sucked.

And i didnt realize Rudy scored those points all by himself. Especially his 274 yard 0 TD performance against Seattle. Super impressive.

18. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Not ignoring anything, the offense under Pickett has averaged a paltry 16.8 points per game. And no, I haven’t forgotten about Canada. Not disputing in any way that Canada sucked, but Kenny sucked too. Between the two of them they generated a boatload of suckage!

What’s my narrative, Blast? That the last month of the season Mason Rudolph ran the offense exponentially better than Kenny or Mitch had in nearly two full seasons. You’d have to be blind and delusional not to recognize that.

19. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Wow. Come on. These personal attacks are uncalled for and not your style.
    Blind, delusional, and not able to recognize?

Just say "Whatchu talkin bout Willis? Don't be Malik"
    :smiley1:

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

I just want to know who will be under center next year already. I think Pickett is still the plan and everything else is noise but the Fields noise is getting loud.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :beathorse:

22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Wilson will be cheaper, and better.

23. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Probably wont know until after the draft. Also, if it's Mason and Kenny in camp, probably wont' know until week 1.

24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Oh, you mean the guy who started 12 games last year and threw for 6 TDs?

Remember that time when Ben had 6 TDs in a single game?

Yep, the QB situation in Pittsburgh has graduated from a sh!tshow to a 5 alarm dumpster fire.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They are going to move Fields before then. I think it’s imminent actually. Poles said he wants to move quickly on it.