1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hilton and Alualu

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Romans5:8, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The difference in the team's ability to stop the run without these two players on the field is astounding. Either we have very little quality behind them or these guys are seriously underpaid!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Add in Bush as well. I was saying to my father after Bush got hurt this D couldn’t afford any more injuries and boom both these guys are out now. We are seeing a product of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, some of Hilton's snaps have gone to Highsmith, so I don't think that is as much of a factor in the run defense. Alualu has been a big loss, though this is really his first season playing full-time in the role.

Buggs and Mondeaux have made a few plays, but far too often, they are getting pushed around. Alualu was driving opposing centers into the backfield. Remember, the Steelers also lost Wormley, so they were stuck giving significant time Sunday to a couple of guys who were on the practice squad a few weeks ago, Davis and Mondeaux.

The losses at inside linebacker are also part of the problem. Despite what some people have suggested, Spillane is a significant downgrade from Bush. Gilbert played fairly well against the Titans, then they lost him as well. Allen has been on the field a lot on third down, but he isn't making plays.

It isn't just the loss of two guys. It is four players right in the heart of that defense. Hopefully, Williamson can help and Alualu and Hilton can return quickly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Alualu is our anchor man. Our mini Hampton lol of course not as good but still as important

5. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree that several injuries have affected our team's run defense. I mentioned Hilton and Alualu specifically because Tomlin referenced them specifically when addressing the team's recent struggles vs the run. He seemed to imply that with their presence, the team would perform much better in that regard.

I tend to agree, but we'll have to see if anything changes when/if we get them back.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    It is not all about those two. Missing Devin Bush hurts a lot. No other Linebacker on the team has 4.4 Speed that is healthy. Only one that does us UG3. Sadly, he has major back issues and cannot be counted on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Spillane has made a few splash plays and big hits but it’s a huge loss in lateral speed and filling the gaps. Hope this kid from the Jets can play ball.

8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey bigbenhotness.

Yes, to Alualu. The difference has been day and night with our run defense and his presence there and not there. To me, it is crystal clear as I would think that it is evident to most. Yes, the missing of Devin Bush also plays a role. That is no knock on Spillane who has filled in admirably. Hopefully, we can hold it down until Alualu gets back. That means finding out who can fill his shoes in the meantime. I would think that most of us here agree that no one, up to this point, has been able to do that. So, IMO, one of two things must happen here.

1. We hang on until Alualu comes back. Even though I have seen Alualu projected to miss several weeks what does that really mean? Let's say he does come back very soon. That is great. However, how effective will he be? This is football. Injuries happen and often they linger around until the player can invest in complete rest. For Alualu, that is probably not going to happen until the season is over. Hopefully, he returns very soon and is back to his pre-injury form. However, and again IMO, that means complete resting of the knee; which is not going to happen. We are hot right now. No time to pull the train over and wait for anyone. Alualu is playing out of his mind right now. Injuries happen but fortunately his does not seem to be too bad and we have been winning without him. However, can we really hold on without his services? It would be difficult IMO. So, we can use a rotational system with who we have which includes him when he gets back and that needs to be quickly. This will allow for that rest while he plays.

2. Let us go out and get someone. Obviously we do not have anyone of Alualu's caliber on this roster or at least that person has not "surfaced" yet. I was promoting Dontari Poe for quite some time before this season started. For the record I have always wanted that Casey Hampton prototype in our line-up and he fits the bill.

It seems that he is not playing for anyone and he has fallen out of shape to some extent. I would like to believe that if the Steelers reached out to him his response would be one of pure joy as it was for Avery Williamson. This would be a great place for him to land. He fills that Casey Hampton prototype Nose tackle that I have been requesting for quite some time now. If not Poe then Marcel Dareus would be another option. Both, IMO, would be upgrades to those behind Alualu on the depth chart.

Again, like Avery Williamson, I would think that both Poe, and Dareus, would be thrilled to come here and would enjoy the change of scenery.
    We need a "Lane Clogger" folks in the middle. Again, our run defense is not the same without Alualu. It just is not and it is obvious.

STEELWINDS
    The East Side Kid

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They shouldn't be tasking Spillane or VWill to fill gaps. they are the moving parts that need to flow to the ball carrier. Everytime Vince picks the wrong gap he puts the guys behind him in a bad spot. He needs to be like Iceman just wait until the back gets impatient and does something stupid. If they keep their jerseys clean and force the ball carrier to make the move then they can blow up the play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Is Spillane this year's version of Duck Hodges? A true feel good story, but dig deeper and you find limitations.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Let’s just hope the kid from the Jets can play. And soon.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure Williamson qualifies as a kid in football terms. He is 28 and in his sixth season. It would be seven, but he missed all of 2019 with a torn ACL. He has started 81 games in the NFL.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Spot on. He is starting for a reason.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Spillane isn't a downgrade numbers wise this year so far.:cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I can't wait to see what Williamson will bring to the table.

He is a 3 down LB that has the speed to go side to side. Should be a big upgrade over Spillane.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Apparently you missed the decline in the run defense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I read somewhere before Alualu got hurt...He was the No. 1 ranked DL in the ENTIRE NFL...I know some off these rankings are silly, But silly or not...The Dude is ballin out!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He makes plays right in front of him, but he’s slow laterally.

19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've been saying Alualu was underrated and an unsung hero since the beginning of the season. The Steelers run D misses him. Our depth at D-line and ILB is getting scary. Hopefully the new dude from the Jets can help and Alualu can return soon.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He's got just about identical numbers to bush. Those numbers are with two games without alualu in there which Bush had.
    The decline is hilton and alualu.

Also watt is terrible at rushing inside and they run outside right past him. I know he's a good pass rusher but he's pretty bad against the run because he is out of position a bunch.

Butler putting bud at inside linebacker on several plays doesn't help. We played the run much better out of our base defense but he kept trying to tweek that during the last two games and it has backfired. You can't blame this on Spillane. :cool:

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Definitely deserves some of the blame.

22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    No Bush and Alualu is the issue. The D-line is the biggest problem. Good LB's in the 3-4 will struggle to stop any run if the NT isn't doing his job. Our backups are in over their head. The wheels have come off the last 3 weeks and it won't get any better anytime soon. Hopefully Avery is better than we think. Hopefully we get Alualu 100% healthy before the playoffs.

IMO the only way we can weather the injuries is if the offense can get it together and start lighting up the scoreboard early. The offense needs to find an identity IMO. JuJu is our key... the other WR's are not consistent or dependable yet. drops and bad routes are a serious problem with the other WR's. Hopefully Claypool can continue his development . I'm really suprised he's not more of a deep threat given his speed and size.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    His numbers are almost exactly what Bush's were. Same amount of tackles in 4 games that Bush had in 5 games. He is hardly the reason we are not tops against the run.

:cool:

24. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Same amount of tackles does not equal same play. A tackle for no gain or a tackle for a 5 yard gain is a tackle. That's the difference between a LB's speed, shedding blocks, and mentally understanding the defense to make quick reads.

25. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Spillane's ability to get to the sideline's and contain runs outside the hash marks vs Bush is night and day. Spillane's ability in coverage vs Bush is night and day. Spillane's ability to shed blocks vs Bush is night and day.