1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hibernian/Seahawks fan in peace

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Scott Buchan, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Scott Buchan

Scott Buchan Active Member

Jul 28, 2021
    Hi Folks ,
    Hibernian ( Soccer team ) and Seahawks fan ( Ex was a Seattleite ) here . I come in peace , I’m from Edinburgh Scotland . My son is a huge Steelers fan , he is 10 . I have managed to get tickets for the Steelers v Seahawks game on 18th of October , Would just like some advice on places to stay , eat and what to do in Pittsburgh ? Also what to do on game day ? Never been to Pittsburgh before so your advice would be greatly appreciated . Thank you

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    there is a thread at the very top highlighted in yellow...things to do in Pittsburgh. Might be a good start for your research.

Enjoy your time there and hope your son views a win!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    If you rent a car, get the biggest one you can afford. The pot-holes have been known to swallow smaller vehicles, never to be seen again. If you plan on uber/taxi, then just hold on tight and pray to the god of your choosing...a lot. Other than that, HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Boy I hope you sit next to me, always wanted to have banter with a guy from Scotland.

People from Scotland speak English, but you never know what they hell they are saying, especially if they are yelling or angry.

7. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    Ha ha well you never know though my tickets are up in the Gods

8. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    Won’t be renting a car but will take your advice on the taxi thanks

9. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    Thank you , I’m sure I will love it

10. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    Thank you and I’m only a casual Seahawks fan anyway

11. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I'd recommend hotel on the South Side. One with a shuttle will save you a headache. Although the South Side is where the bars are and your son is 10. I recommend it because 1) It's a night game and taking the boat to the stadium is sick at night. You don't have to worry about driving and traffic getting home. 2) The Duquesne Incline is on the South Side and probably most popular thing to do. Nice view of the city and stadium. The boat will drop you off and walk up the hill to Stage AE. It's like a kid friendly party. They have music and games. Steelers pope walking around. Then you can walk right into the stadium and go thru the the Steelers hall of fame and check that out.

What else to do? I guess it depends on how many days you are staying and scheduling but the Penguins might have a game. You could go to a ice hockey game or tour the arena if available. Kennywood is like 25 minutes away if you want to ride rollercoasters. I'm not sure if you have any good ones in Scotland.

What to eat? Fat Heads is best on South Side imo. Burgers and fries. Primanti Bros is most popular. You can get it in the stadium to try it but not as good. You can get your kid a really good milkshake at Burgatory inside the stadium.

13. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Good plan, actually. There are a LOT of one-way streets that get VERY confusing if you don't know where you're going. You can see where you want to go, but there won't seem to be a road that gets you there. You'll have a great time. And if you see anyone wearing a Bengals jersey, you're allowed to kick them. :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    Thank you for the detailed response , I shall look at hotels on the Southside , he loves a boat ride so that would be ideal , he also loves rollercoasters so that is a great shout.

He is also a penguins fan so will see if there is a game on , he has latched onto anything Pittsburgh for some reason lol.

Also quick question , it’s different over here but if I have a Seahawks top on , is there segregation or is it all cool so to speak ?

15. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    Id actually be ok then as it sounds just like what Edinburgh is like , perpetual one way system and pedestrianised areas

• Like Like x 1
  16. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    No it's not like European football lol no segregation. You will be totally fine with your Seahawks gear on. Maybe some friendly banter but that's about it.

17. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    Friendly Banter I can deal with , I’m a Hibs fan over here and when we play Hearts ( also an Edinburgh team ) it is far from friendly banter lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I will say this though the night games are on the more rowdy side because everybody is drinking all day. But if you've survived European football then this will be a cakewalk.

19. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    Ha ha he is used to that from Scottish Football , we are both buzzing for it , his first game , I went to a few high school games when I was over and to a Seahawks v Cardinals game at Century Link Field , but being a Scotsman I was rather drunk so memories are a little hazy

• Like Like x 2
  20. Hearts / Steelers

Hearts / Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2018

Hi Scott, Hearts fan in peace. :eek: As has been suggested Station Square on the South Side is the way to go.
    We've been down three times, stayed first time North but the last two have been on the opposite shore.
    It's weird coming across your post like this because the wife and I have been thinking of another trip down and the game we were originally thinking of was the one you'll be at. Haven't made a final decision

Originally from the Pleasance, btw,

Jim

21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    My great, great, great grandfather grew up in Edinburgh and came over to America with his new bride from Sweden in the 1750's. So welcome and I hope your son is very happy at the end of the game.

22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    As long as you're not wearing a Baltimore Ravens Ray Lewis jersey or a Marsha Brady jersey you should be fine. Some drunks at night games like to cause a few issues but when you just ignore them they get really confused and walk away just scratching their heads. Engaging in banter with them just escalates their idiocy.

23. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    Hi Jim

Ha Ha small world , and Hearts !! And Steelers lol , definitely looking at the South Side , oh and if your down for the Seahawks game , say Hello !!

oh and I’m from Loanhead

24. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Pretty sure there is another poster on here from Scotland and I'm going to tell you the same thing I told him. As a young man I was in Edinburgh. Loved the hell out of that castle you have there. We had quite the buzz on when we went through it. Amazing time for sure. Also I'm a huge fan of Trainspotting. I told this to the other fellow and he was not a fan of Irvine Welch so he did not share my love.

25. Scott Buchan

Jul 28, 2021
    Thank you , I can’t wait for the game