1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Haskins vs. Rudolph. There are no winners here

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Jan 23, 2022.

1. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Agreed. I have very little confidence in Tomlin's ability to draft and develop a QB. Tomlin has put in place a college RPO offense and who better to run it than a college RPO QB?

I kind of want Corral because his interviews are disasters. He needs to be drug tested. I bet he's been doing wake and bakes since he was 11. Reminds me so much of Pauly Shore if you gave Shore the public speaking ability of W.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s not that, he thinks this is coming from the Steelers. I have the Steelers taking Willis, must mean I have been talking to Colbert.

Common sense says the Steelers will be in the market for a QB and history points towards the draft since a big trade isn’t really their style. I know that and I don’t even have to be an ESPN Insider.

3. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    His point with ESPN is that the Steelers are actively scouting QBs. It's just confirmation. Personally I'm interested in that. I didn't know the Steelers were scouting Ridder. Ridder makes me a lot more hopeful than Willis or Corral.

I'd also be interested to know if the Steelers were drafting Carson Strong. I bet they aren't. After Pickett I think Strong is the best prospect. He has low mobility though...

4. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I repeat, no one from the Steelers has made any kind of statement that they will be drafting a QB.

Why is this so hard for you guys. Steelers never have or will operate like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Who said the Steelers would make a statement?! Which NFL team reveals who they will be drafting?! Even the obvious picks are concealed by NFL teams.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    :facepalm:

Yes, I know.

7. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    OK, but teams can't hide who they show up to scout. That shows who they are interested in.

The too draft picks almost always have Tomlin/Colbert show up to evaluate in person.

Where the Steeler staff goes to belies their interest.

It's why I find the stories about Brian Flores wanting Herbert so hilarious- couldn't even show up to his Pro Day but showed up the next year for an OL.

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, I said said that in another post you can get an idea who they are interested in but you have no idea if those people make it to their draft board.

What I am saying is no one from inside the organization is telling Ian or anyone else who they are targeting unless its as misdirection. Why would they tell Ian who they want when he is going to turn around and blab it to the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    You're right. The Steelers aren't even close to the end of the process anyways. They couldn't tell anyone who they are drafting even if they wanted to.

I do think where the scouts are most apparent is going to be a good indicator of which QBs they are looking at most closely.

Mel Kiper's draft board is meaningless. He hits on what? 10% of picks? Agree on that and also that NFL reporters usually are just conduits for NFL front offices.

10. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Just like Patrick Mahomes was gone by pick #11, when he was selected by a team that was originally slotted at pick #27. Trading up is a thing, it was literally in the post you quoted.

1. Not all 40s are equal. Daniel Jones ran a 4.81 and yet he can hit 21 miles per hour on the field in full pads; the 15th fastest play of that season and faster than Lamar Jackson ran at any point in that season. Peterman will never run that fast in his life.

Guys like Allen (who ran a 4.76) and to a lesser extent Mahomes are in the same boat. The 40 is a very technique dependent distance. Peterman's 40 time may be close to theirs but he is clearly not as fast. Allen and Jones especially will run past people once they can open their strides up.
    Regardless, that was just a supplemental point. The most telling thing was 4 yards a carry and only 3 rushing tds. Also, Peterman ran more the year before Canada got there (85 attempts) than his one year with Canada (72 attempts) Even Patrick Mahomes, running a pass happy air raid offense (he had more completions that Peterman had passing attempts), had more rushing attempts in his two years starting that Peterman did in the offense that supposedly requires a very mobile QB (131 attempts in 2015 & 2016 vs 72; almost double).

2. Did you watch Pitt that season? They had one of the best RBs in the nation and handed the ball off on jet sweeps all the time, of course they ran the piss out of the ball. That indicates nothing.
    Here is actual gameplay: You show me how the offense revolves around the qb's ability to run:

Only 20 called passing plays (including sacks/scrambles). I counted 5 rollouts and two designed runs (excluding sneaks) and I am not even sure if they were designed runs for the QB because I saw receivers running patterns both times. 55 rushing attempts. 73 total snaps. 2 plays called that leveraged the QB's ability to run. That is 3% of all called plays. I do not count rollouts as mobility dependent. We rolled Ben out occasionally this season. Tom Brady rolls out. Neither of them are mobile. Even if you did count them that is 9.5% of all plays. So based on all of that evidence do you still think the offense was built around Peterman's athleticism?

3. I am not saying the next QB will not have wheels, I want them to. In fact I expect them to because that is simply the kind of QB being produced at that level. Guys with Pickett's level of athleticism are becoming the new baseline. I am just pushing back on the idea that guys like Malik Willis are ideal for Canada's system when the best it has ever looked was with a QB that is nowhere close to Malik's athleticism and was not built around what athleticism he did have. Neither Malik, Lamar Jackson, or even Josh Allen would unlock the Canada secret sauce simply because of their legs.

11. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    The scouts are going to scout every damn player that has even the remotest chance of one that might be available, except for maybe a first round edge rusher, since that's the one position you can probably say the Steelers definitively won't draft early.

It's called due diligence for a reason. You never know what you might be offered in a trade, either after a pick is made or before, or if a prospect could get injured or whatever. You have to have your scouts look at every one of these players. They're going to have reams of reports from multiple people on any potential first rounder. That may or may not mean anything. They could be really interested or they could be simply doing their necessary homework. There's no sense in reading too much into any of it, because most of the other players they've gone to personally scout you just don't hear about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What's W???

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Oh....LoL

• Like Like x 1
  14. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    First off, the Steelers would consider drafting an edge. That is the position they draft most often in the 1st. Highsmith has 8 sacks in 21 starts. He's good not great.

Secondly, scouts showing up at specific universities matters. Pro Days really matter.

Miss St. could be scouting Charles Cross just in case he falls. No one knows. But if you don't think Corral is the type of QB they are looking at this year I don't know what to tell you- just ignore anything about the draft until the picks are in if you are this annoyed.

15. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    LOL. sounds like you're more annoyed by me, than I'm annoyed, since I'm not annoyed at all. Just trying to state how teams have to scout every top prospect for several reasons:

a) to complete their due diligence on all possible prospects
    b) to not overly tip their hand
    c) to misdirect

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Scouting players not being taken huh? Big brain move. Got to be double top secret. I like it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's a dumb question even for you :facepalm:. Ever hear of the draft, and free agency :shrug:?

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    a is correct
    b and c are idiotic where do you think they get all the spare time

19. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    So there aren't any? K.

20. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    For the love of God, they need to stay away from Ridder. He's a very poor version of Russell Wilson.

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It's up to the OC and QB coach to develop a QB, a HC with a defensive background probably isn't the one to do it :shrug:.

22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Since the draft and free agency hasn't happened yet, of course there aren't any yet :facepalm:.

23. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    they have a whole dept to do this.

My point is that if you do a, you are also doing b and c, and even if you're pretty sure that Player A, let's call him Matt Corral, was someone you're not that interested in, guess what, you're still going to send someone down there. You sure ain't not going and give the rest of the league any hints.

24. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    I partially agree with this. I do not necessarily acknowledge the tipping your hand or misdirection tactics; that seems like a lot of wasted resources for little or no return. However, they certainly do due diligence. When they traded for Minkah Tomlin commented on how they were comfortable with him based on their pre-draft evaluations. They likely knew they had no shot at drafting him but know that players can be acquired after they are officially on another team's roster regardless.

25. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Why is this in green?