1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Harrison's illegal contact penalty

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Spock, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Not sure if this has been discussed or not. However, was anyone else confused as to why Harrison was flagged on that play? It looked like a legal chuck within the first five yards from the line of scrimmage to me. I doubt many other line backers would have been called on that. It was particularly crucial since it negated a sack and a long distance situation for the Browns.

2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I thought it was a bogus call. The WR was either a wuss or he flopped, and regardless, Harrison chucked him right at the 5 yard cutoff from scrimmage. Shouldn't have been a penalty, IMO.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It was a garbage call due to being within the legal 5 yards of contact. They saw the guy get knocked on his keister and then saw 92 so the flag flew.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It looked to be within 5 yards and a bad call. He sure did put a hit on that guy though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ratkomladic

Ratkomladic Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2013
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I was yelling at the refs on that one. Sherman chucks AB to the ground 25 yards downfield a few weeks ago, leading to a game changing interception - no call! Harrison pops a receiver 4-5 yards off the line, first down!

I know officiating is not the easiest thing in the world to do, but it sure seems to me that more bad calls go against us than for us, right? ..... Right? .... Anyone?

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    There was also the call against Blake for illegal contact...meanwhile our WRs are constantly mugged. Blake is bad enough on his own and he doesn't need any phantom calls from the refs on top of it.

8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I thought it was a terrible call.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    It's all in the name recognition. Sherman and the Seahawks do it so much they ignore it for the most part. Harrison did blast the guy, but it was within the 5 yards, but it's Harrison so he must have done something illegal.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    The 5 yard contact rule is even worse than offensive holding in that they can call it on literally every single passing play.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Yep! No doubt.

Deebo called this his "Monday legs." The guy's a beast! I absolutely love his dedication to the game.