1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gruden on the hot seat

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Rollers, Oct 8, 2021.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I will never give up my right to describe soft people as pussies. If they don't like it, don't act like one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    There's no way he can stay on as coach after that stuff is leaked out.

Wasn't just about race. He even went in on Goodell the female refs the gay players, etc. You have to know better than to put that stuff in emails.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...d-vulgar-criticism-commissioner-roger-goodell

Point though he got put on blast by a "Toxic Workplace" investigation at the Washington team.
    Other folks are gonna get put out coming up!

Edit: One last thing this isn't from 10 years ago. Apparently, these emails are dated from 2010 to 2018.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And he's out. Unbelievable. And his career is officially over.

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Good riddance. He is a POS Person as well as a Coach. Mediocre anyways.

Heck, he was not going to lead Oakland to much of anything anyways given the fact that he has had red hot starts like this season; only to flame out later in the end. These past two losses further prove my point. How?!?!

Since 2019, the Raiders have started 3-2 to open their first five weeks; this season being the best of the previous three. However, after starting out strong, the Raiders would end up finishing below or at .500; 7-9 in 2019 and 8-8 in 2020. These accusations likely have sped up the process given the fact that Jon Gruden coached teams flame out after the first five weeks of the season.

In short?! You are your record. Jon Gruden is 22-31 as Head Coach of the Raiders. No ifs, ands or buts about it. I also theorize that Gruden is not the only one on the hot seat here though.

Mike Mayock is likely well on his way out as well after this season. That said, that is the least of Mark Davis' worries. Could he go after the rest of the $100 Million he gave Gruden?! Keep in mind that, unlike player contracts, Coaching Contracts are more often than not fully guaranteed. Beyond the money though is finding another coach.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

For me, the timing of this is most interesting given what has been happening with the likes of Urban Meyer and what the NFL has yet to say about Daniel Synder's own....... issues. Regardless, bad look for Gruden; horrible at that. Long story short, he is a POS Person with the record as a Head Coach in his second stint with the Raiders to match.

What is even more damning is now how is he to get another shot as a sports media personality?! Very difficult to achieve; impossible even. That said, look for him to lie low then land something in the coming weeks... possibly months.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Calling someone that is actually still accepted in sports today; something I personally have no issues with. If one player is bringing others down, he needs to perform better or be called out on it. Granted though, while this still happens, the frequency is likely less as those fellow teammates are essentially what you have to roll with, win or lose, in locker rooms.

Aspects like this though in particular is where certain lines have to be crossed.

7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Give the Tomlin

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I dunno man, this doesn't seem like cancel culture at all. If there was no financial interest, I might agree. But in this case it's all about the $$$. Mark Davis is a whack dude but he is a WEALTHY whack dude. He stood to lose a lot of money if he didn't part ways with Gruden. What may look like a penalty based on social causes looks like capitalism in action to me. And capitalism, as we know, is the bane of existence for social justice warriors. In fact, one might argue that Gruden's departure is the opposite of cancel culture. Ok maybe that's a stretch. But there are consequences to decisions we make and Gruden is finding out that even though he claims to not be racist, or misogynistic, or a bully, or whatever, he is at least a poor decision maker. And a pattern of poor decision making will get most of us removed from our jobs. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree with all of this. I do think it's pretty ****ty that e-mails that are part of an investigation have been released publicly though. It really makes a sham of the entire investigation process that the NFL has. I would expect those e-mails to be kept confidential and Gruden to be dealt with privately.

• Like Like x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Yeah, that should be a reasonable expectation. Do you think the pressure that we (general public or society at large) put on an organization like the NFL had a bearing on what happened? I mean, we seem to want the gory details and act super entitled and butt hurt when we don't get what we want. Then, when we get it, we act appalled and surprised at what was there.

11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Personally i could care less what Gruden said in his emails, i guarantee you almost every person in the Nfl has said somthing simular ... its a shame what society has become..who gives a rats ass what someone said 10 years even 3 years a g o...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Since, it's reported, that Gruden was highly critical of the NFL in general and Goodell in particular, I imagine this is a giant FU to Gruden and a warning to everyone else!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Give the Tomlin?!

Hm?!

• Like Like x 1
  14. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    You're not wrong. Society wants details, especially during the digital age. With that said, I don't think that's necessarily why details of investigations are released, and it's not just the NFL that has released confidential information. I think people just like to gossip, and releasing information is just a form of gossiping.

• Like Like x 1
  15. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Would you feel the same way if he wrote or said something nasty or derogatory about someone you care for? Mom, daughter, wife? I don't know you or how you roll, but I have to believe there is a point that pretty much all of us, short of the almighty creator, is going to say, nahfukdat now it's your ass. IMO, that point is different for different people, and just because someone has a different threshold than I do, doesn't make them wrong. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Wouldn't it matter if Gruden Quit or was Fired?

As I understand it the NFL could not touch him, because this all happened when he was not an NFL employee. IF Gruden actually quit on his own, then he will not be getting any of his Guaranteed money.

17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    You dont think soneone has said somthing abt my family in the past..lol, yea it pissed me off. But i dudnt telk the world abt it, or calked for him/ to lose their job... fact is people say things that orhers dont like..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    It's just words said 10 or more years ago...
    That is what gets me...
    People do...and Have changed in less time, but this gives all that a boot in the A$$.....I mean...if You, or anyone thinks nobody can change....Why ask for people 2 change at all...that My Friend is the Hypocrisy of it all.
    No???:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    That's fair and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm only offering a different perspective that someone who takes a different approach than you may not be wrong either.

• Like Like x 1
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Am I the only guy seeing that Carl Nassib the only know openly gay player in the NFL is a starter for the Raiders.

If Gruden hates homosexuals would the guy really be starting.

Also Gruden worked under Amy Trask who was a Raiders executive from during his 1st stint with the Raiders, if he hated women in the game, think he work under one?

Also this is a guy who had minority coaches, and of course hundreds of players, I don't think you can be a racist and work with people of color everyday.

Gruden shouldn't of said what he said, but their isn't a human alive, that hasn't said hateful things in their time alive. Everyone has. Even I have when I was younger, I regret saying a lot of things we used to say. But, even 20-25 years ago stuff was lot different and when your 12-18 years old you really don't think much, your just trying to be funny or cool. I really regret saying a lot of those things. But, does it mean that if I ever get popular I am screwed for life?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    So when is Gooddell going to cancel the halftime show this year. Have you seen the lyrics from his halftime artists that are all supposed to perform?. Come on cancel culture. Look them up and try to defend it. If this show goes on then it's all hypocritical.

Can we just get the Partridge family back together? I'm sure Danny Bonaduce wouldn't survive though.

How bout Pure Gospel. Woops that would offend atheist.

Just cancel everything. There's too much dirt everywhere.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. SpeedyMikeWallace

SpeedyMikeWallace Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In the NFL, you can commit crimes and come back no problem. But if you insult the commissioner or say insensitive things privately, you're done. Lol.

Releasing private correspondence of someone not involved with the WFT case is dog****. Classic case of bad journalistic integrity. Someone just looking to sell clicks by tearing someone else down. The outrage machine rolls on.

Stuff like this is clearly making everyone in the sports world nervous. There isn't a single person that hasn't shared an off-color joke or made remarks about someone they don't like privately to someone. And everyone knows that. The fact ESPN of all places is desperately trying to bury the guy plays that out. My guess, there are more people that could've been "outed" via the WFT investigation and Gruden is the easy target and fall-guy.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Dude don't start with the political ****.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2021
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I see a lot of people saying that this is just capitalism at work when things like this happen. I think you need to be careful with this line of thinking. For example I would say as soon as 10 years ago, Gruden would not have been fired for this stuff. He probably would have been assigned sensitivity training but kept his job. It's gotten aggressively worse and to just say well it hurts their bottom line so it makes sense. We shouldn't be replacing decency and forgiveness with greed. What we're seeing is corporate cowardice on an epic level here. Gruden may likely never get employment opportunities ever again. Words should not destroy someone's livelihood. Help these people, don't exile them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Well, without commenting on Gruden, I will congratulate Rich Bisaccia on finally getting a head coaching job after years of being an excellent ST coach. Rich's cousin is a chiropractor in my town in Vermont and I taught all 3 of his kids.

• Like Like x 3