1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Rivalry?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, May 16, 2021.

1. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Hey Its the off season. lol

#1) Steelers/Ravens in the 2000 - 2020 years?

#2) Steelers Cowboys in the 70's?

i was too young to appreciate the late 70s but that was a nasty rivalry. There is that clip of Preston Peterson I think his name was ...getting wheel barrowed in mid field by the Steelers and of course Lambert and the guy who mocked the kicker

About Physicality I have to say that in modern rules football the low scoring games of the Ravens and Steelers were classics where every inch of the field was fought for...Lewis and Reed and Suggs and Scott vs Ward, the list goes on. Great defenses

It was like I hated them but I respected them.

The Pats I hated and disrespected and still feel they cheated but whatever. It was buried by Roger.

The 49ers and Seahawks had that feel to it where it was more than money or whatever that drove those pro athletes. Its like telling Kobe that King James is the greatest active player back in the day.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Raiders/Steelers was a bigger rivalry than Cowboys/Steelers. Raiders and Steelers were mirror images of each other. Cowboys were a finesse team in the 70's... albeit a very good finesse team that won 2 Super Bowls.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree, Steelers/Raiders!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Darrell Revis was asked if the biggest rivalry was Jets and Patriots. He said oh no, it’s Aliquipa HS and Monaca HS.

• Like Like x 5
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    70’s:

Raiders
    Oilers
    Cleveland

Later:

Ravens

Coming soon:

Browns

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    The Steelers were the only team the Raiders couldn't intimidate. The Steelers were also the only team that could intimidate the Raiders. The Raiders loved knocking Swann out of games and done so often. Finally Mean Joe got fed up with it and said in the papers that he personally was going to come after any Raider that intentionally injured Swann. Needless to say, Swann finished the game without so much as an ingrown toenail.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think throughout the SB era, our division rivals have always been the best (except the Stains for the past 2 decades). Since the Stains are the Stains, I don't see that changing, I don't care who is on their team. For them, we're their SB every time we play. Baltimore #1, Oilers #2 were the most significant of those.

For other than Division teams, I'll go with Raiders #1 and the girls #2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It is always a changing situation. In the 60's it was the Browns. In the 70's for me it was the Raiders and the NFL loved promoting that rivalry. In the 80's and 90's our biggest rival was finding a franchise QB. Then it was fantastic rivalry with the Ravens.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers /Raiders Steelers/ Ravens

• Like Like x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would go Steelers Ravens. Steelers Raiders would be a close second. Steelers Cowboys a close third.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I always looked forward to the Oilers with Bum Philips against the Steelers with Chuck Noll.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Like @HeinzMustard stated, I do not think there was a more perfect rivalry for the Steelers than the Raiders of the 1970s. If anything, just about every major Steelers Rival since then are near carbon copies of the Raiders style of play; the Ravens being the closest comparison. That said, I seriously doubt any of us will ever see a rivalry of that level of violence and magnitude ever again.

The Steelers/Ravens ones of the 2000s were as close to the Raiders/Steelers Rivalry as one will ever get. That said, not the same. :lolol:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Certainly today its Steelers/Ravens. Tens yrs from now it might be Steelers/Browns. During the 70s Steelers /Raiders was probably the best for a least 5 yrs, but doesn’t mean much today.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The greatest rivalry?

Jeff Reed and the empty paper towel dispenser

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Steelers vs Fair-Weathered Fan Base. :hmm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Steelers/Raiders in the 70's. Violent brutality, borderline criminality. Ravens a close second.

Division wide, no division compares to the AFC West. No matter their individual records, the Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs and Broncos hate one another. They've all been playing each other for decades. NFC Central would be next but, I don't think the same vitriol is there.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Only closest division with that level of tenacity and violence since the AFC North of the 2000s is the NFC West... well... the NFC West from 2019 to current anyway. During the early 2010s, that division was supposed to supersede the AFC North as the most competitive. However, from 2013-2018, that division is essentially Seattle's. It still kind of is but not in totality. Agree with you on the NFC North. That said, should Aaron Rodgers really be moved this Off Season, that is going to be quite the ripple effect in the entire conference and never mind that division.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Who can ever forget Donnie Shell's ferocious hit on Earl Campbell. If there was a hit like that in today's NFL, the lame league executives would not only ban him for life but push for him to serve 20 years in prison.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Earl Campbell was never the same way again. That hit ended a career.

20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I read once where Bum said on his tombstone would be, "I had to face the Steelers 6x in 2 years".that sums up the late 70's rivalry.

The Cowboys were always game to look forward to, but hard to call a team you only face every 4 years, or in the SB 2x (in the 70's)a rivalry...just not sustainable.

The intensity of those raiders years was indeed special.

• Like Like x 3
  21. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    If I had to pick one, yeah still Ravens, but that one cooled a bit when Ray ray and a couple others retired. All division games are heated now.

We don`t have a good one outside the division anymore. It could have been the Patsies for a long while if we won more against them. Too bad that did not happen. We just took the beatings without giving it back much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would say at one time the NFC east was right there as well. The NFL pushed the Cowboys, and even in years when the others were not as good they played the 'boys hard, and each other. The luster definitely has diminished.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The Jaguars are a non-division rival imo. They have put the hurt on us a few times.

24. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Thanks all for taking the time.

I do recall reading (Im 50) about Raymond Chester and Cliff Branch being tough to defend and I read about the fan that got killed for wearing Steeler gear but I had no idea that there was a rivalry.

There is some great film clips I have seen of Earl playing the Steelers and brutal collisions that took place.

Nobody has thay crystal ball but I wonder if Cinci will finally live up to the hype and be a rival but that owner seems to be so cheap.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I believe that's because they were a Divisional Rival once in the AFC central time.

• Agree Agree x 2