1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Graham Barton at Center

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 8, 2024.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Here are some videos with Graham Barton playing center as a freshman. I haven’t watched all of these yet, but figured I’d post them now since there are questions about how well he would play at Center after being a LT for 3 years. So far, so good in my watching. As a bonus, check out the end of the 1st quarter vs. UNC when he tracks down a DB who may have been headed for a Pick #6. That’s solid foot speed and agility for a Center. Barton is #62.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not trying to argue, but do You think the talent across from has any effect on it???

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I here what your saying but Kielce came out of Cincinnati back when they weren’t the same quality of program that they are now which isn’t saying much. Barton is highly athletic based on his pro day metrics he would be a 10 on the RAS at Center. The closest prospect to Creed Humphrey since Humphrey himself came out. The guy appears highly cerebral as well. He would be my first choice at Center. I don’t like taking a center in round 1 but we badly need one. I would love another CB but I think they have bigger needs unfortunately.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    good player but #20 i think is a reach for him as a center. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I love the idea of Graham Barton at #20. He’s a ‘put me in coach, I’m ready to play’ type football player. AND he’s really good at it.

I believe in BPA over position of need in the 1st.

Best player at a position of need yields Bush or Burns.

BPA yields Watt or DeCastro.

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  7. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Any football reason, or just don’t like the guy?

8. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Too much projection involved with him. Since the Steelers appear to be dead set on drafting a center then draft someone that’s actually played center recently. Obviously this isn’t the end all be all, but listening to Ramon foster the other day he thinks Barton is more suited for guard in the nfl.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    I think he would be a great OG as well. Barton scored a perfect 10/10 RAS score at Center.

Troy Fautanu played LT at Washington. He’s another of the play anywhere OL rated high in this draft. His perfect spot may be at OG, but he is also a pretty darn good OT or Center.

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Ras is a measure of athleticism, nothing less nothing more. It’s certainly not a guarantee for success or failure. Tom Brady had an RAS of under 3. There are others that have had perfect or near perfect RAS drafted in the top 10 and bust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    RAS tells you the ability is there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    does 40 time, bench press, height,weight… Tell you the ability there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Ramon Foster says he loves Barton at guard; says his skill set makes him a natural Guard in the NFL. Definitely not worth a Top 20 pick to a team that needs a center and not a guard, but definitely worthy of a 2nd round pick.

14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Mind you all, this was his Freshman Year. I don't think he particularly had a bad time snapping the ball. Just poor leverage, hand placement and balance.

Fast forward to now?! Much, much, much different story there. Now, is he a lock for 20?! Who the hell knows?! I'd still have Mims but he is becoming hard to figure out for me circa T.J. Watt in 2017; either top half of the First Round to top half of Round 2. For that matter, the same can be said for Barton.

Take your pick on Barton's slotting.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Yes, he can play anywhere on the line, as a great starter. Definitely 1st rd value, and he is the best general offensive lineman in the draft.
    I approve the pick at 20.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Definitely has a great head on his shoulders
    Comes from a great school
    Versatile across the trenches.
    Not being from the SEC means the man has intelligence plain and simple.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  17. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Haven't the steelers been playing around with guys at center lately? If you're going to draft a guy to play center please draft one that has a resume that includes playing center recently! If you want to gamble on getting a decent center later then I guess you go tackle or wide receiver in round 1.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Or, being from the Basketball Conference of the ACC, means he has never faced real talent. Give me the SEC, Big Ten, or Big 12 everyday over someone that played in the ACC!. 2nd round pick for the Steelers who do not need a Guard.

19. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Not by themselves.

20. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    So can we eliminate JPJ, who doesn't play in those conferences?

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there are other good centers out there. zimmer from arkansas. nourzad from penn state. matt lee from miami. drake nugent from michigan. nick gargiulo from south carolina. one of my favorites is michael jurgens from wake forest. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I here you and if they went with BPA at #20 I think it would be Brain Thomas WR or if one of the three CB’s are there Terrion Arnold, Cooper Dejean or the kid from Toledo. Honestly I think they are going to trade back in the first and draft one of the top three Centers because they aren’t guaranteed for any of them to be their at 51. Then you get your WR and CB in round two and hope we hit on a sleep OT in the mid to late rounds. Maybe a Crum from Wyoming or something. I don’t see us getting four starters at all four of those positions this year based on the draft talent and where we are picking. I think one of the positions are going to suffer. If you have to pick one I think you can I’ve with Dan Moore for one more year. Maybe go and sign a Bechton or something for a one year prove it deal.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Heck, his technique is so sound… I don’t see why he can’t be at least a Right Tackle in the NFL.

I don’t see him as a Center at all.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And has no desire to win. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    There are guys that are simply football players. I put Graham Barton in that group. Beaux Limmer is another. You put these guys into a game situation and they just play, and play well. JPJ seems to be one of those guys too. It’s just the history of concussions that puts me off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1