1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Goaline Offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wish Steelers had more creativity when they get down near the goaline in the redzone.

Romo said it himself ... that Claypool should be singled out for a fade often. I would add JuJu and Washington are combat catchers that could do this as well.

There isn't anything else we can do, like fake Vance on a block and have him sneak out on a route? Or sneak a RB on a route?

Also, trying to run out of shotgun on goaline is painful to watch. Can they do something to speed that up, like the Pistol or Diamond formation? IDK. I'm not an expert.

2. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I actually cringe when we get in the red zone, because we can’t play smash mouth football. So I think use your athletes speed and size, nope not us. Also I will say this for the last time, Snell is not a short yardage inside the tackle runner, it almost looks like he runs with his eyes closed, no elusiveness. Conner is the only short yardage back we have, he can make a yard after contact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    You are so right about Snell, I was yelling to get him and Samuels out of the game and leave Conner in. Snell dosen't seem to hit the small opening that there is. Conner is more illusive. Tomlin and others were all week praising Snell and they kept using him way too much, he had what 4 or 5 tries with 0 yards and even loosing yards. Also McFarland would be better choice then Samuels for change of pace back.

4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is one of those areas where we never seem to do things differently or change something whatsoever. I just have to wonder why? Maybe they have a stash of plays they are keeping secret for the PO's. You never know with this team.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    They should have sacrificed a play from the secret stash during the Washington goal line debacle, to keep from getting embarrassed like they did. Unless passing to a linemen who didn't make it off the line was one of the secret plays.:unsure:

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    These guys just have no faith in themselves to run it for 1-2 yards.

The line knows they can't block for it and the back knows he can't get it.

But, seriously put Conner in, at least he's a throwing option in the flat, if guys are covered in the end zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Your chances of converting a run are lowered the more big bodies you bring on the field, because everyone is jammed up together. This has been proven statistically. Throw in the Steelers lack of ability to drive block, and it's a nightmare.

Spread them out with a back in the backfield, RPO.

8. Jimboinaz

Jimboinaz Active Member

Dec 24, 2020
    We have to face it, the Steeler OL is one of the worst in the NFL and they are overmatched on short yardage situations. Even on Conner's TD the Steeler OL was pushed of the line of scrimmage and Conner got in all by himself. The OL needs a major overhaul and every position is expendable.

9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agree. I even go so far as think (in my head)Man we should get a penalty here and back us up a bit. I know that sounds stupid, but can't help it.

10. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Every time they go empty set inside the one its a failure...that only works if you have a mobile QB. And for the love of God, bounce the hell outside and run to the pylon!

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I miss the days when we would telegraph a run and dare defenses to stop it, and still succeed

12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I used to love the play where they would fake the handoff to Bettis or Deuce and then hit Hines or Heath on a quick slant ... right in the back of the endzone, middle of the field.