1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gerry Dulac calls decision to play Kenny Pickett shameful....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The massive flaw in your false claim that he isn't a first-round talent has already been pointed out many times. You acknowledge it but refuse to actually hear it. There is nothing made up in what I post, but my apologies if my phrasing unfairly characterized your point, which seems to be writing him off as being worthy of a first-round pick already.

2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Would you like me to post his stats?

65% completion percentage which is average middle of the road.

QB rating of 71 which is bottom tier of starting QBs

3 TDs to 8 INT even you can figure that out

6 yards per attempt which is horrible

long pass of 36

Let me guess he’s a rookie though so stats don’t matter only your opinion. Got it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    How many rookie QBs light it up in their rookie year?

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    So you are back to judging a quarterback on his first seven starts. Most of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL were either bad or not playing at the same points in their careers. Allen was bad as a rookie. He didn't get his completion percentage over 60 until his third year and threw more interceptions than touchdowns as a rookie. Mahomes didn't play until the final game of the regular season. Rodgers didn't start a game until his fourth season.

Looking at more recent history, Peyton Manning completed 56.7 percent of his passes. He did throw a lot more touchdowns, 26, but he also had 28 interceptions. Eli Manning, not a great quarterback, but good enough to win a couple of Super Bowls, completed 48.2 percent of his passes with six touchdowns and nine interceptions as a rookie. He had Giants fans wanting to give up on him during the 2007 season, the year they won the first of two Super Bowls with him as the quarterback. Pickett is far more mobile than either of those guys, but I think his career will fall somewhere in between those two.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I can't argue with anything you say here. However, somebody in this organization thinks differently and made KP our #1 pick, right or wrong. At this point, it doesn't matter, he's our QB. I would imagine there are a lot of 1st round QB's that were picked who in their 1st year some would say they shouldn't have been rated so high. Some QB's were drafted as late as the 6th round and turned out pretty good. I see the key right now is what this team does to develop what they saw in KP that made him be our first pick. I don't know what that is, you don't see it in his play, but someone saw something, and they better damn well do something with it because we don't need to waste more 1st round picks, or any picks for that matter, on another QB. JMO>

• Like Like x 3
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You should have never changed the avatar pic.
    Especially for that reason. JMO

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    First... I didn't want a Qb period in the 1st round last year.....I thought the team should be built up 1st, but We did, and I believe He is slowly getting better, but for You to just say .....Well then why didn't the other teams draft Him in the 1st ....as if that's the be all end all.....Well why didn't anyone draft Watt before Us???? Maybe because they were wrong???:shrug:
    All I'm saying is... it's not a sure sign either way by saying who didn't draft Him.
    I guarantee We can look at every draft ,and see if the draft was a do over .....most Guys would go in different spots,and some wouldn't even been drafted.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I've always believed the draft is a crap shoot and teams better go through whatever protocol that's been successful to evaluate potential. Most players you can see what that have from a physicality perspective via film, injury history, combine, pro days, whatever. I think that's the easy part. The hard part is determining football IQ necessary for the NFL. Interviews with players or former coaches give some insight into this but even so, it's not full proof. KP is our first chois after this selection process but hasn't played the way he or others would have preferred, YET. He's swimming against a current of poor support and scheme that would minimize anyone's progress or production, especially year one. But going back to why we he became our first pick; he has whatever it is to be successful so now it's time to sit back and watch if he is being treated the way he should be. One other question comes to mind regarding KP. With what he has been provided to be successful, what other QB that was drafted in the past two years would have played like he's all world? Not many I would think. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There is a lot to what you sat
    ..finally..lol. I wasn't high on the pick, felt the O line needed that stud center we have always had. That said, with the O we are playing with KP has little to work with. Unlike Ben when he came in, they are asking a rookie to do to much, with far to little to work with. Stats are not always the thing that tells a story. Right now he is bound by a line that's weak, a playcaller who sucks, and a running game that has been quite less than stellar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Sorry I always post long winded stuff. LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    It was missing a question mark (does read as a statement instead of a question :) ... Kenny is not 1st round QB talent? Unlike the pre-draft touted Zach Wilson....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I look at Mac Jones. Its hard to evaluate as he was injured and his coaches are all defensive lol, they got to the playoffs last year..will be hard this year, but the last 2 games he as actually looked decent.

I think the measurables will.play out. He finishes this year, get him more help on the o line and a better OC. He should have better feel for the speed of the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022

Matt Jones is being questioned about this season. I would think it is more about having a new OC and playbook.

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/new...back-mac-jones-regression-performance-offense

Is Jones regressing in Year 2? Or is his performance merely a product of an admittedly dysfunctional Patriots' offense?

Even the experts are confused on a consensus.

During last Sunday's Patriots-Colts TV broadcast, CBS analyst Adam Archulete continually mentioned how Jones was slow to read through his progressions and find open receivers if the primary target was covered.

"Seems pretty clear," Archulete said. "Mac has to make quicker decisions and be more decisive with the ball."

It was the first game he didn't throw an interception, and he looked more mobile in and out of the pocket as he further puts behind the severe sprained ankle that caused him to miss three games. Still, he overthrew open targets Stevenson and Tyquan Thornton on would-be touchdowns and wasn't the accurate passer that last year made him the best rookie quarterback in the NFL.

14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Its never quite as clear as we like to think. Of KP gets a new OC next year will it be more difficult? I think many organizations fail because the burden of instant success is seen as necessary..because of the head coach own status, plus the need to have success before you can invest that huge cap number on someone. But you really need to give it 3 solid years. Some come quicker, but the qb is perhaps the hardest position to master in all pro sports.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Notice the time Geoff had yesterday. I specifically was watching him yesterday and he had time to go through progressions and step into throws. Allen also had time to to step up and actually even run through wide open lanes out of the pocket. Pickett is getting none of that. IMO until our offensive line is actually truly NFL caliber we won't really know what this kid can or cannot do. I wont even talk about the receivers gaining separation and in some cases wide open on post routes. We can dream to see that again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Terry Bradshaw had a passer rating of 30.4 with 1,410 yards, 6 touchdowns and 24 interceptions in 13 games in his rookie season in 1970.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He gave you some examples to help support his opinion. You have nothing to support yours.

19. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    You must have missed this earlier doofus

65% completion percentage which is average middle of the road.

QB rating of 71 which is bottom tier of starting QBs

3 TDs to 8 INT even you can figure that out

6 yards per attempt which is horrible

long pass of 36

20. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Did you mean 'Bloody Mary' here? 'Scary Mary' is going right over my head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    The Cowboys receivers were fighting the DBs for a contested catches and winning, and CeeDee Lamb was making unworldly catches. I do believe Pickens could be the Steelers CeeDee, OC needs to take the chance he is going to make the play.

22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You get your ass handed to you in most every thread. If I was wrong as much as you I would’ve given up already.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    You are such a moron homer I can’t even deal with you anymore. Later should have done this with you a long time ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You might get some intelligent discussion if you weren’t so negative and stubborn.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    And your answer to the rookie QB who has lit it up is?

• Winner Winner x 1