1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free agent possibilities

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Jball, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Matt Williamson, former NFL scout, has been talking about possible free agents for the Steelers for the last couple videos. Here they are.

Had no idea just how many Safties and ILB's were in this class. FA is gonna be interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    ILB looks better via FA than the draft tbh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    As much as I love Jack Campbell, I think Inside LB is the position to Skip in the draft. Focus on needs thru draft.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I wonder what the price would be for Cam Dantzler…. And is he any better than Wallace, who we already have?

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Unfortunately ILB is a need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yep, thanks to Devin Bust.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Yes, but it's the easiest to fill via free Agency.

Taffordable Tackles, Corners, and DLinemen are scarce in Free Agency. And the available ones want top dollar.

Now I'm resigning myself to the idea that none of the tackles will be available at pick 17. If that happens and Joey Porter is also not available ( as I know the FO will take him if he is), I think it would be preferable to drop back to the mid 20s and pickup an extra 2nd or a 3rd and a 4th. Whatever the value is there. Then we can take 6 players in the top 100. And that might be a better deal for us.

1. Cam Smith//Deonte Banks/ Bresee
    2 Bresee/Ojulari
    2a Adetomiwa Adeboware/Keion White
    3a Benton/Brooks
    3b Tippmann
    4a Parker Washington
    4b Brevyn Spann-Ford.

If we can't get a top Left Tackle ( and by that I really mean Johnson or Jones) I'd rather trade back, fix the as much else elsewhere and make LT priority #1 for next draft.

Skip LB, there are just too many good ones in FA. Cut Jack. Re-sign Spillane for half the price and go get one of the mid tier. rate LBs in FA.

Our Superbowl Window starts at the end of this coming up season. We'd have 4 years. Plan accordingly.

That's how is attack the draft of I were GM

• Like Like x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I really hope Porter is off the board by the time the Steelers pick. I just don’t see him as that difference maker we need in the first round and, like you, I don’t think Tomlin will be able to resist drafting him since he’s the son of his BFF. (Tomlin apologist attack barrage starting in 3…2…1…)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The opposite affect is people discounting Porter because of that connection.

He’s very good and bloodlines is important. I heard the same things about TJ, people only wanting him because of his brother and I’m like really? Have you watched him play.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    With Winterspoon having hammy issues, Joey' Porter is probably CB 2 now and will probably land with Eagles at 10. Which Might improve the chances of Broderick Jones getting to us.

Even though the Bears are now a team likely to draft a tackle.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They could sign one in free agency, and they still need to draft one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Drafting Porter at #17 wouldn't be a reach, that's about where he's projected to go, Tomlin and Joey Porter are such BFF that Tomlin didn't retain Porter on his staff :shrug:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can't say about Porter yet, because Im not as strong on Him(Hes My 3rd CB),but I totally agree about TJ. I thought the same....Have You watched Him play???

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im not as high on Porter as I was on TJ. CB is such a hard position to project.

I’m still hoping for a tackle in the first but wouldn’t be upset with Porter bing the pick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Totally agree on CBs being very hard to project. I actually think it is 2nd to Qbs...... in difficulty.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    If we do draft him, I'll be rooting hard that he becomes our no. 1 CB and that he's able to help neutralize some of the dangerous passing attacks we're now seeing in the AFC, including one VERY dangerous passing attack in our own division. We know he's got the genes to do it and in Pittsburgh, there will be a TON of pressure on him to perform if for no other reason than his name alone! I wish him the best, but I'd like to see the Steelers shore up the trenches with the first couple of picks and not continue our abysmal record of drafting CBs early.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dax777

Dax777 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2021
    Ivan Pace and Dorian Williams are both very athletic and productive college LBs. Both can be had at 120. Perhaps Cam Jones also. Pappoe running like a cheater and benching like a weightlifting champ probably bumbs him.to day 2. But there are lots of projects we can add who can in 2 years be studs when we begin our sipetboy window.

• Like Like x 2
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Porter Jr wouldn't be my first choice at #17, but I would be okay with the pick, he has the size and enough speed to cover receivers like Chase and Higgins.

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We haven't drafted a CB in the 1st round since 2016. They reached then....if Cam Smith, Gonzalez, or Porter Jr are still there....I don't think it will be a reach. If they are not.... skip it for something else.
    If You over reach for any position its a bad thing.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  21. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    When I see Porter, Jr. , I see another first round corner we drafted several years back that was just…okay. Deion Figures. Remember him? JPJ is a slightly taller version but I just think of him in that mold, solid but not spectacular and at the end of the day he’s just…okay. If we draft him, man, I hope I’m wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would be interested in Pace,

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Figures comparison is a bit less clear. Consesus all american/ jim thorpe winner in college but potential never realised as he got shot in the leg/knee. CB is a position of need, so we might have to take a gamble. I still have a hard time processing JPJ's one interception. ? I would prefer we definitely draft a CB but maybe not 1st round.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I could see the Steelers dropping back to mid 20’s and picking up a third and drafting Bresee. I feel like Bresee is going to drop a little and he just feels like the type of player they would target. The Tackles will be off the board and it appears they are looking at guards who have less of a pedigree that will go in the later rounds. With FA being strong at ILB I agree they will probably fulfill that position in FA. I wouldn’t mind doubt dipping though and releasing Jack. With that being said I think we will take a a CB in the second. After that it really is a crap shoot as we have a lot of needs and wants. I think after F the picture will be much clearer.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    see i like taking CB in the second, I think there are some guys worthy of a closer look, Emmanuel Forbes, Eli Ricks among others

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1