1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

First shots fired at Canada

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That's 1 game, 1 half out of 17 games. He wouldn't have lasted the season if he did that for every game, his knees are done. The roll out is what made Ben the most dangerous at the beginning of his career. The o-line is garbage they need somebody who can roll out and escape the rush. You look at the new QB's today, they all have the mobility to escape, Ben was a sitting duck.

2. FosterMorris

FosterMorris Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    OK let's see how that goes next season.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is amazing how much inaccuracy you can fit into one post.

No, that punt return was not Harvin's fault. Please stop telling that lie.

No, it isn't primarily about field position.

It isn't just a matter of fatigue either. It is about opportunity. You give a high-powered offense enough opportunities, they are going to figure out any defense.

Fatigue may also be a factor, but it is not unusual to see the Chiefs' offense start to dominate as it gets more opportunities against any defense. See the end of the game against the Bills as an example.

Seriously, do you not understand football or are you really that dishonest in service of whatever ridiculous argument you are pushing that day?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    If you think I don't understand football but I can prove that I'm right is the opposite then true?

"Putting this all together, the main -- and perhaps only -- channel through which an offense can help a defense on a per-drive basis is through field position. Turnovers and quick three-and-outs make a team more likely to give up points on the following drive, but this appears to have everything to do with field position and nothing to do with defensive rest time. In other words, whether it's one minute or eight minutes, knowing how long a defense has had to rest tells one nothing about how the defense will perform given its starting field position."

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/defense-and-rest-time

Chiefs had the same number of drives as the Steelers: 12. That's not even an uncommon number of drives in a game. And the KC scoring came in the second half when the Steelers were moving offensively. Chiefs had 5 or 6 long TD drives in a row- defensive collapse.

Line driving punts 60 yards with 3s of air time is improper technique. If the ball is in the air 1s longer a fair catch is forced on the returner. I don't care if the gunners are Steve Tasker and Bill Bates- if the punter outkicks the coverage enough times one is going to get run back.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What was the length of time that the Steelers offense was on the field between each of those long Chiefs drives? It sorta lends itself to the expression coming in cold. When the Chiefs are on a hot streak on offense you want to keep them on the sideline to get them cold and less in sync and conversely you want the Steelers offense to get hot and more in sync. If you run once for 1 yard, next for -3 yards and complete a pass on 3rd foe seven yards in less than a minute that's barely enough time for Cam to suck oxygen before they are back out there . By the 5th 6th and 7th drive God himself would be gassed.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I would buy this , but I've seen this team(when our D was really good),and many other really good Defense, and time of possession didn't effect them. Hell ask Tampa Bay this weekend.
    Can You honestly say You haven't seen the Steelers with a worse offense, but the Defense didn't fold??? I can. I have seen this team before Ben ,and Maddox do a many of 3,and outs....yet the Defense still hung strong, and didn't blame the Offense. I know You have. I can remember if We could score 10 points that was almost a for sure win.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One man's opinion-driven analysis does not constitute definitive proof. Nice try, though.

The Chiefs have a great offense. The Steelers have a crappy one. The Steelers needed to ugly it up and minimize Kansas City's opportunities, but the offense failed to do that. I'm really sorry you don't understand that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    More than 4 but I think I catch your, it would be 4 in like 5/6 years. You're right, somethings gotta give.

9. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012
    To this point the RD offense was going at a crazy high rate. I'd be curious about outside the 20.

I'm not a blame Ben person but he does have the ball in his hand every game. There is way more than the eye can see in this debate.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd have to look at the roster at that time before I could say anything definitive, in this year though as good as the defense was at times they suffered at others from depth and the cap forced turnover. I don't think they envisioned the secondary being as suspect as it was when Peirre was looking so good in camp and Sutton was talking a big game about taking over either outside or in the slot for Hilton. Lets face it I don't think anyone thought Bush and Spillane were going to struggle as much as they did, I mean blind squirrel and everything

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Fe3CCity

Aug 21, 2012

Dan quinn made the cover 3 matching popular. I think there needs a cover 2 matching revolution.

We do it some, like the broncos game with Devin bush trading off from Noah Fant. It's asks so much if your backers though.

There is this flow D needed with eyes on the QB (cover 2). That, like in the run game, have disciplined rushers there are also in "coverage."

Almost the "amoeba" stuff some team pull today. Lots of hands up with 2 dlineman that can win against 3, constantly.
    The spread isn't new its the rolling QB accuracy that is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    It's not opinion it is mathematical probability.

"Ugly it up" is opinion.

13. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Yeah Steelers run cover 2 the most at about 1/4 of coverages. One of the biggest problems is definitely the backers struggling with TE. I agree that a lot is asked of our LB in coverage. We just saw that with Spillane vs Kelce.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Statistical analysis is still driven by the choices the statistician makes. You really don't get that the Steelers needed to minimize the number of opportunities the Chiefs' offense had in that game?

Allowing the second half after the score got to 35-7 to be part of the analysis is just stupid. The game was over. Those offensive drives were window dressing.

Seriously, the gaps in your understanding are troubling. You really should sue your teachers.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    What? The analysis was a broad look at the relationship between defensive fatigue and scoring. Their conclusion was that the only way the offense affected the defense significantly was field position.

16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    How long is Ben suppose to play for, until he's 50 ? Time to move on, ( should've moved on years ago, but he was Tomlins last security blanket)

17. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    Ben moving on and the state of the offense are separate issues. Even with a top veteran QB this team won't do any better than the Steelers did in 2020 @ 26 ppg.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    In addition to my questions about the choices of data used in the analysis, your application of it does not work. It ignores the fact that one key to dealing with the Chiefs is minimizing their offensive opportunities. I've explained this multiple times. I'm so sorry that you don't understand it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You keep talking about 26 points per game as if that would be a bad thing. A team scoring 26 points per game would have been 10th in the NFL in 2021.

The problem in 2020 is those points weren't distributed evenly. The offense was much better during the first half of the season, then faltered as teams figured out what they were doing and Roethlisberger's play declined.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    What do you mean "figured out what they were doing"? Fichtner was in his 3rd year as OC.

Yes, the offense was better with Fichtner as OC. A lot better. The people who wanted Fichtner fired were dead wrong.

If Ben is so terrible why were the Steelers the second best 4th quarter offense in the NFL this year?

21. FosterMorris

Dec 21, 2016
    You're moving the goalposts now. If you don't understand the battle of field position by now guess you won't. :shrug:

Limiting the absolute number of drives of a potent offense is one way of limiting their scoring. What you apparently don't see is that you also limit your own scoring.

You are advocating for 3 runs and a punt and I don't know why. This isn't the '70s. You are saying that if the Steelers make their own offense "ugly" it will make the KC offense off the field?! Our offense was ugly. I don't think it gets uglier. It didn't stop KC.

Making a good offense go 80-90 yards per drive is the best chance to beat them. The offensive coordination should focus on attacking the defense's weak points, scoring and moving the ball; if you are playing defense on defense and defense on offense you've already lost the game. :shrug: