1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Randy Fichtner!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This dude has to go!

Offense moves better when Ben is calling the plays on the field.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Sometimes Ben sees the field too well for his own good though. I seriously doubt if that 4th and 1 play was designed to go to McFadden, but Ben saw they were late to get over there and cover him and went there. He kind of forgot though he was going to rookie with little experience catching the ball downfield. I'd love to see a view of that play to see what else was run underneath.

3. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    That was just not a good decision and play call on a 4th and 1 with the game potentially on the line. Throwing to your 3rd string running back on a deep fade route is just not a high percentage play call and pass completion. The play calling at times with this team is just maddening with Coach Randy and in this game tonight in particular it was flat out inexcusable at times. These play calls and decisions tonight in key moments are what lose games that are close.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Tomlin and Finchtner have been joined at the hip since they were college coaches. Ain't happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Not sure Art jr has the nutsack either. Where's the next Dan?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tomlin said that was the #1 option on that play.

7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Randy Fichtner's run playbook for 3rd or 4th and 1:

• Hand off to RB and run into wall of lineman, avoiding any open holes if any. (Note: Do NOT run QB sneak.)
    • Remainder of playbook, turn ball over on 3 and out and let Defense do their job.

8. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Ok thanks. I didn't hear that as I don't usually get the benefit of seeing Tomlin's press conferences. That's interesting. It's was actually a good play design, and a better receiver probably catches that ball for 6. It's just frustrating that we have an offense built around quick short passes, but can't seem to do it much when it's 3rd or 4th and short.

9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Its tough when you can not run effectively. I am convinced that the Steelers have no faith in Snell. We cant run, so we pass to much to over compensate. I expect that to change once Conner and Pouncey are back. We will still throw to much. But not at the ridiculous pass vs run ratio we are doing it at right now.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Can anyone say for sure it's Fichtner and not Ben's adlibbing? I have no evidence, just wondering.

• Like Like x 1
  11. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    i have to blame the o-line for not opening any holes for the running backs. everytime someone runs all i see is a wall of linemen. never see any holes where i can say... oh yea the runner missed this gap.... swe have the best graded o-lineman on the pine in waiting.

12. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I think the RB didn't run the route wide enough, if he is closer to the sideline I think Ben hits him in stride. The ball was high but if he is further outside he had room and had beaten the coverage. Might have been good design but poor execution. Could of been a lack of reps in practice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Long time reader, first time poster.

One of the many issues that I have with the offense (Randy) is the lack of success early in the game. Many teams have success early because they have the first 15 or so plays scripted. Even bad teams can have success early with good scheming. Sure they falter as the better team adjusts, but it just seems Randy never has a good plan / scheme. Wasn't it the Titans game that they scored a TD on the opening drive for the first time in forever?

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    This is where I miss Cowher. He had no problem taking the axe to his staff when needed. Tomlin, on the other hand, is too wishy washy and just hopes that things will somehow fix themselves.

15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Offense moves better when the o-line blocks and receivers catch the ball

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

To answer your question directly no they can not. They can speculate about poor play calling blah blah blah, but the simple fact of the matter is they don’t know. However, what we do know is the receivers are dropping catchable passes at an alarming rate and the o-line is getting zero push in the run game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Tomlin said it was

BUT watch a replay n McFarland is standing out there w no one on him Ben never looks that way, **** just snap ball n throw it out to him n easy pu n possibly big gain

Ben waits until Bostic run out there then snaps it

18. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    On the catching the ball note...

@Alex_Kozora
    · 48m
    Here's a fun (not fun) stat. 40% of Ben Roethlisberger's incompletions the last two games have been drops.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought once he threw that dbl move and confused the defender he should have cut it back into the middle and opened up for Ben. Yes the perfect back shoulder throw and catch he walks into the endzone but that wasn't perfect by any stretch. 1 stinking yard and new set of downs to get creative .

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He's not blocking or dropping passes. McDonald was open on several plays that easily could have been first downs and Ben doesn't even look at him.:cool:

21. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

• Informative Informative x 3
  22. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    4th and 1 so we dial up a kill shot. Works every time

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Neat. I'd like to see some other QB's 'Target location heat map' for comparison.

24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Plus, you have 6-7 OL trying to block 9-10 defenders in the box or near the LOS. What are they supposed to do?

25. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017