1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Keith Butler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Sep 10, 2015.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
  2. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Our DB's are undersized and unfit to play in a 2015 NFL.

Edelman was open all game because the Pats kept running pick plays, and when smaller DB's get hit with a rub route they aren't physical enough to fight through it.

It's a failure of Tomlin and Colbert to adequately give Butler the tools to deal with the trending offense in the NFL.

3. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011

Ok, Thanks, at least I know it`s a failure of physical talent/good route running, not a problem of not recognizing the problem...

It was raising my blood pressure exponentially, throughout the game, when they kept letting the same reciever burn them...

And far from one of the best wr`s in the game, just a decent, hard working reciever...

Not Calvin Johnson, or whoever you wanna put in your top 3 to 5 recvrs...
    Just all night long... Julian, Julian, Julian..

I just kept expecting them to recognize/fix the problem...

Silly me..

I keep living in the past, and thinking we have a capable Defense...

They keep proving me wrong...

Although they did do what I wanted them to do...

Hold New England under 30 points...

I thought we would score more than that...

One of these days, I am going to remember to stop thinking!!!:tequila::herewego::herewego!:

GO STEELERS... 15 more games to get in the playoffs!!!

4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I just think it's funny that Tomlin tells everybody he cant complicate their schemes because they are a young secondary, when in fact the group has a combined 38 years of experience and nobody calls him on it: he should admit he has a group of old guys who are a miss mash of players who never played at a high level....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Have we gotten any word yet as to exactly why Boykin didn't play?

6. GravelGod

GravelGod Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    So, here we go again, another season of pointing the finger to everyone else on the Steelers coaching staff while the Head Coach gets the free pass and avoids any accountability from the fans or the media.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They should've signed a veteran CB in free agency, they didn't expect Doran Grant to contribute this season.

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

I agree and one of the biggest problems on this defense is Tomlin is meddling with it, something lebeau wouldn't put up with, but butler has no choice, tomlin will get butler fired and make him the scapegoat before it's all said and done....

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    What board are you looking at :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Supersteeler

Supersteeler Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Uhhh what? Rightfully or wrongfully Tomlin gets 10 times the amount of negative fan backlash than Assistant coaches do and always has. This is a true case of seeing what you want to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah if you listen to Cooler Talk you hear PLENTY of disgruntled fans hating on Tomlin and saying he's nothing more than a "Rooney Rule Hire" and stuff like that. I mean there are some VERY harsh callers. Some really go off on Colbert as well. Even Dick Lebeau wasn't immune to the ire of the fans.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Your forgot the green font, chap.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelTerp

SteelTerp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Speaking of DB's, did anyone see the spectacular INT by Mccain for MIA? Imagine if we had Keenan lewis and Mccain..

14. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    They'd be 8-12 yards off the line of scrimmage and by scheme alone, out of position to make a play on the ball...

15. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    They both had their opportunities to stay. I don't think we were offering much below what McCain wanted, and Lewis was always NO-headed.

That said, losing McCain was one of the more irritating moves of the off-season.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

MT always gets a free pass, I just can't understand it?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think he was open all game because he's a good WR and excels at that underneath, quick-strike "garbage". Much like how Wes Welker lit up the league for 100+ catches, it's hard to cover the little jitterbugs when they run the underneath stuff.

We have our very own in Antonio Brown, who just also happens to be a very fine downfield threat. I'm inclined to think that Cheats fans aren't calling for Malcolm Butler benching because he gave up 9 catches and 130 yards to AB.

This is the first time Butler has to think about more than just the LB's. I think we'll see some more growing pains before our defense looks like a totally cohesive unit.

18. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    We actually look to be in reasonable cap space for once with only, what, one major player to sign. They may finally wake up and draft some useful DBs next year but we aren't about to trot out a bunch of rookies in the secondary. They better get a good FA CB. You get a legit #1 and the Gay and Boykin type guys start to look much better on the other side and in the slot. We still don't have one NFL safety though.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    trouble is we will have to sign boykin and gay back if we want them again. mitchell will be in his final year and we have to try and keep beachum. :cool:

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I say Mitchell goes the way of the dinosaur. You think we bring him back?

21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm seeing young, new, Defenses around the league that are better so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If he keeps forcing turnovers then I think we have no choice. Maybe this season is more Carolina Panthers than Oakland Raiders for him, which would be nice. However, if this season repeats last year for him, and the fumble he forced against the Cheats is his only turnover forced this year, then yeah, I think he's a goner.

23. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Thank you. I don't care who you have out there if they are that far of the LOS then they can't be effective. That has to change before the defense gets any better. Gone are the days were teams are either running or throwing the ball deep. I'm not saying they have to go man because if you are in a zone and have your corners sitting lets say 4-6 yards off the ball then they are sitting in the exact spot that the little outs and ins are going to be. It seems that Lebeaus fear of the deep ball has rubbed off on Butler. Zone only works when the QB has to guess and there is no guessing when you know you can throw a quick hitch and pick up 5-7 yards a pop. The lack of pressure is due to this also. It takes a WR roughly 2 seconds to run a 5 yard out or in and nobody is getting to the qb that fast. There's a reason it only works on young QBs who haven't learned to read the field yet. The scheme is horribly flawed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I just don't understand, why they looked SO underprepared when they knew since April that they were playing New England the first game. They looked terribly outcoached, especially in the goaline. I mean, why can't they watch tape from the Patriots-Bills games and imitate the Bills. Now, they have 10 days for their next opponent, let's see how prepared they are for SF and their 3 TE sets. I have a bad feeling about Carlos Hyde with this D.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  25. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    KBs no DL.....Not yet anyway. Lets give him a chance!!