1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

FIELDS A STEELER

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 16, 2024.

1. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

You do realize the we can still add Free Agents and we also have a Draft left to go. You don't think those needs will be filled?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    My bad, Rollers. I was actually only trying to respond to JackAttack's post there. I had started to respond to your post earlier but decided not to. I thought I had cleared it out. I was just making a general reference to other posts I'd seen in the thread and didn't mean to drag your name or quote into my response.

3. martingale

martingale Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2023
    If there we such quality then why did many, many NFL teams pass on them?
    Why did an NFL team pay more in a trade for Picket than Fields?

The wishful thinking on this board is amazing. The Steelers offense is likely to be just as bad next year as it was this year.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Well he was probably prepared to sit the bench in Chicago after they draft Williams and force him into the starting role week 1. He didn't have any say in where he was traded.... I'm sure he is going to do his best and make sure that he shows the coaches that he is capable of being "the guy" moving forward, but there is no reason for him to pout.

5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It’s all about perspective, I’m reading discussions of how folks are excited to get Fields, a former first round pick for a 6th round pick. And they are excited. And this, just after reading discussions of how much a scrub Kenny Pickett is because as a former first round pick he was traded for some 7th round picks and a 4th to 3rd swap.

So which is it? If you’re a former first rounder traded before your first contract is up, are you a great prospect or a scrub.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Will find out when the season starts. Do you think Justin Fields
    Wants to be paid his 5th year extension? What will the Steelers tell him
    if he doesn't see the field next year.This should be interesting having to pick
    Up a 20 million dollar extension and has never played for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Here we go. Wouldn't that be the same for fields and Wilson too? OK move the goal posts. ;):cool:

8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well Wilson had final say in where he went... it came down to his personal preference. As for Fields, a 6th (contingent to 4th on playing time) isn't really less than 20 spots from the 4th to end of the 3rd and 2 7ths. The value is hard to gauge since we didn't actually get a 3rd for Pickett, we got a late 3rd for Kenny and a 4th.

The offense is definitely going to be better. I'd be floored if it ended up only being marginally better. Kenny is trash and we added two guys who have outperformed him by a good margin the last couple seasons. We canned the worst OC in the league and added someone with proven success. If we can't be positive about these proceedings, what can we get positive about? We weren't trading up for Maye or Daniels. From the position we were in going into the offseason we have done the literal BEST we could at the position at a fantastic price.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. martingale

martingale Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2023
    Not with quality players who are likely to upgrade the Steelers for next year. If we have to start two rookies along the OL this year, then it’s very likely both Fields and Wilson will start several games next year. Van Jefferson is not even an upgrade over Robinson, let alone Jonson. Queen is not bad but Jackson is a mid cb (we lost talent in that trade).

As for Kahn’s moves, who here can look back at his FA results in 2023 with confidence?

The best thing I can say for Kahn is his moves are frugal. I have serious questions about his ability to judge qbs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I'm waiting to see if Sean Peyton is successful without Drew Brees.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    He's not getting it picked up. We will likely extend him at a much lower value. Fields isn't worth the 20 million right now and wont be after the season. If we like him and give him the reigns, we could see him sign a short term, incentive-laden deal as a prove it.

He certainly WANTS to be paid it. He just isn't going to be. Just like the Bears WANTED a first or second round pick.... they got a contingent 6th. I have no doubt that we will be fine here.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The Khan Artist is Amazing! As a GM, he's giving Tomlin the best chance to win and eliminate all excuses

13. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Wins is probably the most useless stat to determine how good a singular player is. What a waste. Wins are how the TEAM is graded, not players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    If he canned Kenny and added two players better than him, I think I am totally sold on his ability to judge QB's. I'd be questioning his ability to judge QB's had he rolled with Kenny in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

Wow. Really?:cool:

16. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think his 5th year option was realistically off the table already when Chicago decided to move on. If Albert Breer is reporting correct info (see one of my posts above), Tomlin has told Fields that Wilson is the starter.

17. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You can find people complaining about acquiring Wilson and Fields throughout this thread, so they must believe that what we had is better than what we now have. Otherwise, why are they complaining? Considering that Wilson and Fields are cheaper this season than Pickett and Rudolph would have been, what Khan has done here is nothing short of remarkable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  19. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    If the Steelers would trade Miles Boykin even up for Patrick Mahomes, half of the members here would whine "Oh no, we just lost our best special teams player!"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Tis ok. I've been dragged out of worse places

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

Russell and fields. 19-39.

KFP, mr, mt. 19-15.

without trubisky they were 17-10.

there fixed it for you.:cool:

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If you were a high level competitor, would you want to sit on bench?
    I think I would want to prove that I was better than the competition brought in
    to take money out of my pocket. As our favorite coach says we don't want prisoners here.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d be cool with that if the Chiefs threw in a 3rd rounder too

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers upgraded their QB room by adding Wilson and Fields, and they're only paying these guys 4.4 million in 2024.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    No. I doubt he WANTS to sit the bench... Its just the reality of his situation. The guy in front of him here is on a one year deal. The door on Fields being a starter in 2025 and onward isn't closed yet. He will likely work his tail off to better himself and try to win a shot at starting in 2025. Being in Buckeye country, I have a pretty good glimpse into the character of the kid and whining and complaining would be a far deviation from the norm for him. Yinz are going to love the kid.

• Like Like x 1