1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Factoring in Brian Flores coaching ability for the 2022 draft.

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Brice, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The Steelers will only have former Safety and then Linebacker positional coach Brian Flores for one offseason to help develop players this year. Is this something Tomlin and Colbert should consider when making selections for their draft?

Despite promoting their DB coach to Defense Coordinator, the Steelers have been known as a team that can't develop DBs to save their life.

The young LB that needs Flore's help is covered in Bush, but what about a young Safety and/or a young CB that Flores can take under his wing for 1 off season to help?

Seems like it would be a waste of talent if the Steelers don't try to get the most out of Flores this year when the draft rolls around. Adding a CB, and/or safety within the first 3 picks should be the best way to exploit the coaching talent the Steelers have been gifted for 1 year.

The Steelers have Flores for 1 year, I hope they make use of his talents.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Give me the Jimmy's and the Joe's over any coaching anytime. I have never seen a coach make a play?
    Now coaches can put players into a position to succeed. Let's hope our whole coaching staff does this.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I like the Idea. :thumbs_up:

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Question....You honestly don't believe a player can do better under different coaching????

5. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I am all for drafting heavy on defense this draft to take advantage of the coaches we have and to build an elite unit. However, I have a feeling it is gong to be Ridder at 20. I am hearing he is very smart and good at reading the field. If that is true that is an intangible that to me that the great QB’s have. Even less gifted QB’s athletically have become HOF’s and Super Bowl winning QB’s with field smarts. Brady and Montana are perfect examples. However the knock on him is his accuracy. Brady and Montanan were accurate. Can Ridder be coached up to being more accurate? Personally If we take Ridder it would be nice if we traded back into the late first and picked up some draft capital, because I think he will still be available in the late first.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Players are the key. Yes some coaches can put PLAYERS in a better situation to succeed but you must have the talent in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Effective coaching is very important for player development as well. Very few players come into the NFL as complete players. Many need heavy coaching early in their careers to reach their potential. Guys who are raw don’t just come into the league and develop themselves.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I wish this was true, then I may have some belief in Tomlin and Co. being able to develop a DB that they draft early this year. When was the last 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round DB pick that the Steelers were able to turn into a Pro Bowl player? Are all these misses to be blamed on the player?

Maybe Tomlin and Colbert are just terrible at Scouting DBs, so hopefully they will let Brian Flores have a little say in who he thinks the Steelers will draft at DB this year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I just wish the Steelers treated the CB position as important as it is. Just look at their drafts over the last quater century.

They should be drafting a cb in the first 3 rounds EVERY year. It's arguably the second most important position in football.

McDuffie is my top "realistic" pick this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Look at our practice squad, players they have brought in. Do you see many of them getting
    coached up.Making a difference, seeing real playing time? I believe in good coaching, but if the players don't have the talent even B.Belicheck
    can't turn them around.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Winner Winner Winner :this!:

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I was listening to a you tube vid the other day. Joe Green, Rod Woodson, Troy P and James H. All former DPOY. Rod said coaches can inhibit by not allowing players to do what they do best. He felt it was not until Dick Lebeau came that he hit his stride. Thst said players given much freedom without understanding the scheme can bring bad results as well. Butvyhen again few in the history of the NFL have been like Rod and Troy

• Like Like x 1
  13. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Found an article a while back that was talking about success rates by position and round drafted. CB was only behind qb on the list. Far more misses than hits for every team in the nfl from a statistical standpoint you had pretty much the same rate of success drafting a cb in the 7th round as you do in the 4th through 6th rounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. I believe, and have always believed Qb, and CB are the 2 hardest 2 judge coming from college.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1